Doctor Strange

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Johnny Depp Meeting With Marvel For ‘Doctor Strange’

http://screenrant.com/johnny-depp-doctor-strange-marvel/

Robert Downey Jr. is the current poster boy of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, their undeniably most bankable actor, so Marvel worked out a deal to have him return for both The Avengers 2 and The Avengers 3. While there’s no doubt interest in an Iron Man 4 and there will absolutely be Avengers films after this contract runs out, RDJ’s version of Tony Stark may not be there. So how do you replace the most bankable star of the franchise and the most interesting personality? Call up Johnny Depp.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was never a fan of Dr. Strange...I thought it was a stupid character. However, Depp seems to be a good choice although 20 years older versus the script from what I read.

Dude is 50. Where has time gone? 50!?!!?

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
‘Doctor Strange’ Casting Rumors – Mads Mikkelsen A Candidate?

http://screenrant.com/doctor-strange-marvel-mads-mikkelsen/

You must be registered for see images

Bleeding Cool claims to have a “pretty solid Marvel-adjacent source” that puts Hannibal star Mads Mikkelsen as something Marvel is interested in to lead the film. Mikkelsen is an interesting name for two reasons, first that he’s worked with Nikolaj Arcel before, and second, he was the top choice to play Malekith in Thor: The Dark World before scheduling conflicts with Hannibal prevented the possibility.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marvel’s ‘Dr. Strange’ to Be Directed by Scott Derrickson

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/m...rector-scott-derrickson-exclusive-1201173055/

As Marvel keeps hunting for its “Ant-Man” director, the company continues to move forward with its next phase of films, tapping Scott Derrickson to helm “Dr. Strange.”

Talks are still early, but sources say Derrickson, who most recently directed “Sinister,” is Marvel’s choice and a deal should be struck shortly.

Marvel had no comment.

The pic will be produced by Kevin Feige, who, over the years, has repeatedly said how badly he wants to get a “Dr. Strange” movie made. Executive producers on the project are Louis D’Esposito, Victoria Alonso, Alan Fine, Stan Lee and Stephen Broussard.

The comicbook revolved around a former neurosurgeon who serves as the “Sorcerer Supreme” — the primary protector of Earth against magical and mystical threats. Strange made his first appearance in the 1963 comicbook series “Strange Tales” and would go on to have his own comicbook series and would appear in several other comicbooks that included “The Fantastic Four,” “Spider-Man” and “Nick Fury.”

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Latest casting rumor: Jared Leto as Doctor Strange.

:grabs:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

really good actor. would be surprised if he went the Marvel route but maybe he's looking to cash in on his Oscar right now, which would then allow him to do a big movie and a bunch of indies which he's usually pretty damn good in.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Although not my favorite Marvel comic, I did like and enjoy it, for the most part. My memory of it was that it was a fairly dark comic. It will be interesting to see if that's the line they use in the movie.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Not a bad choice. Still not a fan of Doctor Strange but I could see him nailing the part. As Cheesebeef stated maybe looking to cash in.

By the way I hate when people criticize actors for cashing in on Oscars. Not every film can be Oscar worthy and in Hollywood they throw you away like trash when your no longer hot. I don't blame actors one bit for cashing in and getting what they can while they can.

The only difference is that the really smart actors with good managers, try and pick projects in addition to these big block busters that keeps them in the conversation for acting awards.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marvel’s New Shortlist of Actors to Play Doctor Strange Revealed

http://schmoesknow.com/marvels-new-shortlist-of-actors-to-play-doctor-strange-revealed/30295/

Jared Leto, Oscar Isaac, Matthew McConaughey, Jake Gyllenhaal, Ethan Hawke, and Ewan McGregor.

Leto - Yes.
Isaac - Yes
McConaughey - mmm. Not sure although he is a great actor.
Jake Gyllenhaal - No.
Ehtan Hawke - No.
Ewan McGregor - love him as Obi but can't picture him in this part.
Depp - I know probably not in running but I liked the idea.
Keanu Reeves - I know probably not in the running. Whoa!.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
i just do NOT get the love affair with this guy.

What have you seen with him? I put him on par with Tom Hiddleston, who has got much bigger exposure in the Marvel Universe. And people LOVE that guy.

But Cumberbatch is a terrific actor and a GREAT Sherlock Holmes.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What have you seen with him? I put him on par with Tom Hiddleston, who has got much bigger exposure in the Marvel Universe. And people LOVE that guy.

But Cumberbatch is a terrific actor and a GREAT Sherlock Holmes.

I've seen some of Sherlock and just couldn't get into it and Star Trek Into Darkness and one other thing that slips memory. he's just whatever to me.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I've seen some of Sherlock and just couldn't get into it and Star Trek Into Darkness and one other thing that slips memory. he's just whatever to me.

I don't think Star Trek Into Darkness was anything that special, but you're missing out on Sherlock. I thought he was pretty good in 12 Years a Slave as well.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cumberbatch is so good in Sherlock that I suspect he's being a little overrated but IMO if there was a perfect role for him, it's Doctor Strange.

Steve

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What the heck? BC is a freaking awesome actor. He was great in Star Trek and he is awesome in Sherlock Holmes. Seriously...dude is one of the best actors in the business right now IMO.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doctor Strange's Main Villain Introduced In Captain America: Civil War?

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Doct...troduced-Captain-America-Civil-War-68229.html

We just now learned that Daniel Bruhl is going to be part of the growing ensemble of Anthony and Joe Russo’s Captain America: Civil War, and already, there’s an interesting wrinkle that might suggest the actor is in for a longer haul that expected.

Buried at the bottom of its piece on Daniel Bruhl’s casting, Variety notes that the unidentified villain Bruhl "is not the main villain in Captain America: Civil War but could potentially be the top menace in Marvel’s Doctor Strange."

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tilda Swinton in Talks to Join Benedict Cumberbatch in Marvel's 'Doctor Strange'

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/tilda-swinton-talks-join-benedict-798348

Tilda Swinton is on her way to the Marvel Universe.

The actress is in negotiations to join Benedict Cumberbatch in Marvel Studios’ Doctor Strange, being directed by Scott Derrickson.

Strange is Marvel’s supernatural hero, a formerly cocky surgeon who loses the use of his hands, and while on a last ditch attempt to heal himself, discovers magic.

Strange’s mentor is a Tibetan mystic known as the Ancient One, who is training pupils to be the next sorcerer supreme. In the comics, the character has been a male, and Marvel Studios initially was searching for a male actor.

But the studio rethought the role and has now made it female. If a deal makes, Swinton will play the Ancient One.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard