OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kevin Feige even adressed the change from an elderly Asian man (as written) to Tilda Swinton for the film version. Just saying. Ironically, by trying to avoid the "stereotyping" found in older comics, they annoyed some in the Asian community. Seems like a legitimate gripe to me.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Kevin Feige even adressed the change from an elderly Asian man (as written) to Tilda Swinton for the film version. Just saying. Ironically, by trying to avoid the "stereotyping" found in older comics, they annoyed some in the Asian community. Seems like a legitimate gripe to me.

I just don't see it.... the MCU has been pretty fluid with reinterpreting characters ..... they made Johnny Storm a black man and nobody flinched... they made Jarvis an A.I. and nobody flinched.... they just made Stark Spider Mans banker....and nobody flinched....

Not sure if you were a Strange fan back in the day...but I was......

One of the main premises is that there are multitude of realities,..... think..."Sliders" in a sense....

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Weird. That was the link at the time. Fixed it.

This is from that Marvel link...

Because of what he had witnessed in Kamar-Taj, the youth left the village in order to devote his life to combating other evil sorcerers. To this end, the youth sought out an ancient order of sorcerers whose elder members were known as Ancient Ones, and which was dedicated to protecting Earth's people from black magic

More on Marvel.com: http://marvel.com/universe/Ancient_One_(sorcerer)#ixzz485D6ppMG

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
they made Johnny Storm a black man and nobody flinched...

Are you kidding me? There was a huge uproar over that, especially since Sue and Johnny are brother and sister. There was also plenty of griping when the Kingpin was changed to a black man.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Are you kidding me? There was a huge uproar over that, especially since Sue and Johnny are brother and sister. There was also plenty of griping when the Kingpin was changed to a black man.

I must have missed that... I saw some media outlets trying to stir up muck over Storm but never saw fans upset about it.

and Kingpin? That was very well cast...there was not a white actor out there who could have done it better.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Ancient One talk starts at about 18:00 mark.

Good interview (some language).

Last edited by a moderator:

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
The "Ancient One" is a title...which is passed from one to another over the ages.... gender, nationality...all meaningless

I am not a tilda fan by any means...really not a fan,....and personally...hmmm,....I would have tried to cast Chow Yun Fat........ but as far as the movie quality goes,and story accuracy...the nationality or sex of the actor is irrelevant for that specific role.

The Ancient one is not Asian....the ancient one is eternal.

georgie is just looking for another reason to decry foul injustice which he alone actually sees...

Not a bad answer. I really don't disagree with the base of your point.

I do think that Asians are still pretty typecast and kindof looked over in Hollywood so when you get a remake of a role that is famously Asian and you put a white chick in it I can get why they would be like; oh come on!!! Lol

but at the same time I think if it's not critical to a role for a person to be a certain race, well then may the best person get the role. :)

Shades of gray I guess.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Not a bad answer. I really don't disagree with the base of your point.

I do think that Asians are still pretty typecast and kindof looked over in Hollywood so when you get a remake of a role that is famously Asian and you put a white chick in it I can get why they would be like; oh come on!!! Lol

but at the same time I think if it's not critical to a role for a person to be a certain race, well then may the best person get the role. :)

Shades of gray I guess.

There was rumor circulating recently that a studio tried to CG ScarJo and make her look more Asian for a role...the studio quickly denied any such tampering...

in that case, if it were true.. I could see folks pitching a bitch about it...if you want an actor who looks Asian,.. hire an Asian.

In some ways I can see cultural (maybe not the correct word) reasons why Hollywood might substitute for roles.
I have seen movies in which the acting was lauded in Japan for how good it was, but then I watch it and it appears to be done by amateurs...poor emotional expression, bad facial acting... but I attribute this to different cultures having different ways they express themselves. So to me it makes sense that if Hollywood is marketing to a specific audience they would want an actor who expresses themselves in ways said audience would understand...
that may rule out certain foreign born Asian actors.... however...doesn't do anything to rule out an asian actor who was born and raised in Los Angeles....

for the life of me I cannot see why Tilda swinton was cast in that particular role... but you would think that if the answer was just because she is white...they would have found somebody else (there are lots of white people to choose from)....perhaps the director is a tilda fan and wanted to find a role for her in the movie

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. Absolutely loved it !! Really well done. Great cast. Such a great addition to the Marvel cinematic universe. Can't wait to see it again on the big screen.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doctor Strange

Release date: November 4, 2016 (3D/2D theaters and IMAX)
Studio: Walt Disney Pictures, Marvel Studios
Director: Scott Derrickson
MPAA Rating: PG-13 (for sci-fi violence and action throughout, and an intense crash sequence)
Screenwriters: Joshua Oppenheimer, Thomas Dean Donnelly, Jon Spaihts

Starring: Benedict Cumberbatch, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Rachel McAdams, Michael Stuhlbarg, Mads Mikkelsen, Tilda Swinton, Scott Adkins, Amy Landecker, Benedict Wong

Genre: Thriller, Sci-Fi

Plot Summary: Marvel’s "Doctor Strange" follows the story of the talented neurosurgeon Doctor Stephen Strange who, after a tragic car accident, must put ego aside and learn the secrets of a hidden world of mysticism and alternate dimensions. Based in New York City’s Greenwich Village, Doctor Strange must act as an intermediary between the real world and what lies beyond, utilizing a vast array of metaphysical abilities and artifacts to protect the Marvel cinematic universe.

You must be registered for see images attach

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the visuals are INSANE. The movie itself was just okay, IMO.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
the visuals are INSANE. The movie itself was just okay, IMO.

I have to greatly disagree with your second statement while agreeing with your first in spades. This needs to win awards for the effects/cinematography. Like, all the rewards. Overall it was more than a solid movie. I enjoyed this from beginning to end. Definitely a top 6 Marvel movie for me.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely a different Marvel movie. It was just trippy. It's the best way I can explain it. Different feel and definitely feels out of place a bit from the standpoint of magic in the MCU. We liked the movie but at the same time it feels kind of "jammed" in the MCU overall arch with Thanos much more than GOTG which felt separate but you could easily argue a connection.

It was a fun movie and definitely worth the price of admission.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Definitely a different Marvel movie. It was just trippy. It's the best way I can explain it. Different feel and definitely feels out of place a bit from the standpoint of magic in the MCU. We liked the movie but at the same time it feels kind of "jammed" in the MCU overall arch with Thanos much more than GOTG which felt separate but you could easily argue a connection.

It was a fun movie and definitely worth the price of admission.

Pretty much exactly how I felt! I really liked it, I just felt like there was too much going on at some points. But again, I really liked it but I'm not sure i'd say out of the park or anything. I'd say something like a notch below GOTG but a notch above Ant Man. Which in my mind, is high praise.

In full disclosure, I get overwhelmed visually sometimes by these movies where everything is constantly moving and shifting around so while the visuals were AMAZING, there were some sequences that went on so long I kinda had to close my eyes or look away, but that's not a critique of the movie, that happens to me in every movie where everything is moving all the time which is why I cant do shaky cam FPV movies.

All in all TOTALLY worth going!

SNL may have ruined Benedict Cumberwhatshisname for me tho, everytime I see him now I just think of how cool he looks on a toilet! lol

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Really great movie. One that the viewers really have to pay attention to though. Loved the effects. Done really well!

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have never seen any Marvel movie. Is this suitable for my 14 year old granddaughter?

Actually, i'm more concerned if it's suitable for me...:)

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another stupid question... I've only seen one movie in 3D...Gravity, I think. Wasn't crazy about it but is this a movie you would recommend for 3D? Wife and granddaughter are pushing for that.

Recommendation??

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another stupid question... I've only seen one movie in 3D...Gravity, I think. Wasn't crazy about it but is this a movie you would recommend for 3D? Wife and granddaughter are pushing for that.

Recommendation??

I've heard great things about the 3-D for this film, but saw the regular release because 3-D bothers my wife's eyes to the point she has to look away or get a headache, so that ruins the experience for her.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard