Do cardinals live in Arizona?

Lloydian

Registered
Reaction score
From http://www.azcentral.com/news/columns/articles/1211clay1211.html in Valley 101 by Clay Thompson.

Diamondbacks, coyotes, rattlers, roadrunners, lots of sun. But cardinals? Do they really live in Arizona? Correct me if I'm wrong.

OK, you're wrong.

You need to get out more, man. We have plenty of cardinals in Arizona, although maybe not a lot of them right here in the Valley.

Arizona cardinals like tall and dense brushy areas in the southern and central parts of the state.

Male cardinals are very territorial and are quick to pick a fight with any other males that might wander into their territory.

They have even been known to fight with their own images reflected in a window.

They're feisty.

A lot of people know cardinals for their sharp alarm call, sort of a brisk "chip," but they are good singers and may know as many as 28 songs.

And it is one of the few birds that sings year-round.

Last but not least, cardinals are so named because their bright red plumage brings to mind the red vestments of a Roman Catholic cardinal.

We also have a close relative of cardinals, the pyrrhuloxia, sometimes known as the desert cardinal or the gray cardinal.

A male pyrrhuloxia has an orange beak, a black face mask and a red breast, but its back is sort of bluish gray.

They live mostly in the southern part of the state.

Its name is a combination of Latin and Greek words and means "bullfinch with a crooked bill."
Finally, a printed answer to people who want to change the team name.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
:roll:

Big deal. If they never change their name, I won't lose any sleep. However, I'd LOVE it if they did change their name....

TruColor

Trombonist in Roger Goodell's Wedding Rcpt.
Reaction score
What's makes the whole cardinals-living-in-Arizona story bizarre, is that I read in a book a while back that the very first cardinals ever spotted in Arizona was in the year...wait for it...

I swear.

Coincidence, or not?

This "desert cardinal" thing is interesting though...them's funky looking:

You must be registered for see images

So...the Cardinals could change their name to the "Pyrrhuloxias" (!) or "Desert Cardinals", and just recolor the logo to this:

And yes...I'm being sarcastic.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's makes the whole cardinals-living-in-Arizona story bizarre, is that I read in a book a while back that the very first cardinals ever spotted in Arizona was in the year...wait for it...

I swear.

Coincidence, or not?

This "desert cardinal" thing is interesting though...them's funky looking:

So...the Cardinals could change their name to the "Pyrrhuloxias" (!) or "Desert Cardinals", and just recolor the logo to this:

And yes...I'm being sarcastic.

Cardinals have been in the Phoenix area for thousands of years - sorry to burst that myth.......

TruColor

Trombonist in Roger Goodell's Wedding Rcpt.
Reaction score
Cardinals have been in the Phoenix area for thousands of years - sorry to burst that myth.......

What I was referring to was the northern cardinal...I'm sure other species have been there for a long time...

Team G

Big Red Surfer
Reaction score
I see them all the time in my yard in Fountain Hills and have in Sedona and Tucson too. (Northern Cardinal)

Stallion

Cats, Cards, Bax, Suns
Reaction score
That's a sweet logo, Pantone. Everyone would say, "What kind of crazy cardinal is that?" And we'd say, "It's a desert cardinal. Haven't you ever heard of a pyrrhuloxia, you Neanderthal?"

:D

Last edited:

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
I find it funny we want the first part of the team name to represent the whole state but not the mascot.

Arizona is not a synonym for Phoenix and Arizona has more terrian than desert.

pinnacle

Reaction score
about 2 or 3 years ago we had a Cardinal (the bird...obviously) who took up residence in our yard for a couple of months...in Scottsdale...so we do have Cardinals here...my wife took a picture of it but it is filed away somewhere....but they do exist in the metro phoenix area...

studiovx

Registered
Reaction score
This should finally put this to bed. ;)

http://www.arizonahighways.com/custom.cfm?name=c_nature.cfm&secid=36&id=95

http://birdfotos.com/birdfoto/pyrrhuloxia/pyrrhuloxia.htm

http://gbbc.birdsource.org/gbbcApps...ciesCity&species=norcar&state=US-AZ&year=2006

THE REDDEST OF THEM ALL?
Many people coming to Arizona from the eastern United States are surprised to find that the Northern Cardinal, a common and much loved bird from their garden Òback home,Ó welcomes them to their new home in Tucson. Cardinals have a wide range in North America including the eastern and southern U. S., southern Canada east of the Great Lakes, the southwestern U. S. and much of Mexico. They have been introduced in the Los Angeles area in California.

The bird we call Northern Cardinal was considered a century ago to be as many as 4 different species but currently is classified as 18 subspecies. Though our Arizona Cardinalis cardinalis superbus is a very bright red, the scientific literature states that there is considerable color variation between males in this group, so "the brightest of them all" probably applies to individual males rather than the entire superbus subspecies.

As late winter drifts imperceptibly into spring, breeding activity in birds increases in intensity. One of the easiest backyard species in which to watch breeding behavior is the cardinal. The information presented here is from the Birds of North America account (Halkin and Linville 1999). Most studies of cardinals have been done in the eastern U. S. Are there differences in the Tucson area?

Cardinal nests are built in thick vegetation by the female who chews twigs in her bill to shape them before forming them into a cup around her body. The cup is wedged into position between branches, twigs or vines but not attached to them. Egg laying starts an average of 2-3 days after the nest is completed, and 1 egg is laid per day, usually an hour after sunrise, until a clutch averaging 2-3 eggs is complete. Males guard their mates especially attentively at this time, but DNA fingerprinting has determined that 9 - 36% of the chicks in a given nest are still fathered by a different male. Also, occasionally a different female lays an egg, fathered by the male of the pair, in the pair's nest. Successful reproduction, not fidelity, is what is important.

Incubation by the female starts after the last egg is laid, and she warms the eggs with the bare skin of her abdomen where feathers have been lost. After 11-13 days the eggs hatch and the pair begins frantically feeding the hungry nestlings. Their weight increases more than 7 fold in the first 8 days. Young birds usually leave the nest 9-10 days after hatching, barely able to fly short distances and with their feathers not yet fully grown. After leaving the nest the young birds are totally dependent on parents for about 3 weeks, hardly moving from their perch on a branch for the first 11 days. After this, association of parents and nestlings is variable; if the parents are ready to start another brood, parental care ends in less than 4 weeks, whereas at the end of the season it may last almost 2 months.

Because losses of eggs and nestlings are high, cardinals may start as many as 8 nests in a season. This is possible because cardinals are permanent residents, adapt to a variety of habitats including back-yards, and are omnivorous, eating seeds, fruit, and insects. Cardinals often dominate smaller birds and their close relative, Pyrrhuloxia, at feeders and other food sources.

Many cardinal pairs remain together all year either on their territory or in winter feeding flocks. Death or the occasional "divorce" makes space for a "floater," an unpaired bird. Second-year birds pair around the time the winter-feeding flock breaks up.

In urban Tucson you are more likely to have Northern Cardinals in your yard than Pyrrhuloxias, but toward the outskirts of town Pyrrhuloxias may be more common. The two species can have overlapping territories without evidence of aggressive behavior. Look for interesting interactions. Individual Cardinals and Pyrrhuloxias have been observed counter-singing to each other (S. R. Russell, personal communication). Barbara Kingsolver writes, "a pair of cardinals and a Pyrrhuloxia couple who nested in adjacent trees, became so confused, when the young fledged and flew to the ground, that they hopped around frantically for a week, feeding each other's kids." (Kingsolver 1995).

The "cheer, cheer, cheer" song of the Northern Cardinal is one of the most widely recognized bird vocalizations. Unlike most bird species, both male and female Cardinals sing. The songtypes are very similar and sometimes indistinguishable from Pyrrhuloxia. Enjoy listening in your backyard.

Phlegyas

Just win, baby
Reaction score
Interestingly enough, at the game, I saw an Edge jersey that was colored a couple of different shades of gray. Among the shades was a color similar to the color of the desert cardinal. I think the jersey also had some red in it. Wasn't a bad-looking jersey.