Discussion Before Hire: Jonathan Gannon Thread

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of hiring the guy with one of the most stacked defensive rosters ever. In Gannon's defense, if you watch back the game and pay attention to the pass rush, a big reason they never got pressure was due to edge rushers slipping every other play. I think the field conditions really neutralized Reddick and Sweat.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Lou appears to have done more with less with the Bengals. That is good coaching.

Gannon appears to have had his team perform to a level which is consistent with the (high) levels of talent on the roster.

Given the holes all over our roster I would prefer Lou.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If that were the case, why did the Eagles bring Vic Fangio in for the playoffs?

Fangio didn't work with the Eagles defense. He worked with the offense on what the Chiefs defense would do.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Out of the top 8 playoff teams, 8 HCs are from the offensive side of the ball. Our entire franchise depends on the light bulb going on for Kyler Murray.

Let’s mostly limit and narrow our final search down to… two Defensive Coordinators. With the possibility of making the eventual HC keep our last mediocre at best Defensive Coordinator as well.

Sounds like a recipe for success to me.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Out of the top 8 playoff teams, 8 HCs are from the offensive side of the ball. Our entire franchise depends on the light bulb going on for Kyler Murray.

Let’s mostly limit and narrow our final search down to… two Defensive Coordinators. With the possibility of making the eventual HC keep our last mediocre at best Defensive Coordinator as well.

This! When you lose me, you've lost. Way to go Bidwill!!

#KafkaWillAlwaysHaveMyHeart

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Cool story bro, Gannon did absolutely nothing, sure, except for leading the NFL in sacks, having one of the top ranked defenses in the league, and making it to the super bowl. There's this thing called the internet lol, you should check it out sometime
One of the disadvantages in succeeding with great talent is that you are meeting the expectation. The Eagles should have been good on defense this year with the talent they accumulated. There is nothing special schemed up in having talent where you can rush 4 and drop 7. That is the dream personnel. When Gannon did get faced with a beast offense, he got worked in the 2nd half by Andy Reid and Mahomes. That is nothing to be ashamed of but it is meeting an expectation.

Again, nothing special accomplished in relation to the talent assembled.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

Yeah this is why I don't believe that the choice between Lou or Gannon matters. Whichever one is hired likely gets fired in three or four seasons. Neither have any sort of resume that hints they can get the most out of a struggling QB or put together and keep a top notch offensive staff. This means that the plan is that Kyler will magically decide to change on his own or because he buys into the tough love approach from a guy with zero HC experience.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah this is why I don't believe that the choice between Lou or Gannon matters. Whichever one is hired likely gets fired in three or four seasons. Neither have any sort of resume that hints they can get the most out of a struggling QB or put together and keep a top notch offensive staff. This means that the plan is that Kyler will magically decide to change on his own or because he buys into the tough love approach from a guy with zero HC experience.
Hopefully the OC they hire would work well with Kyler. Even more important than the HC.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If that were the case, why did the Eagles bring Vic Fangio in for the playoffs?
True, I read that earlier but never really thought much about it. Maybe it's because Fangio played the Chiefs multiple times as the Broncos HC & they wanted every advantage they could get?

Metcalf Rules

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Could Gannon be the head coach and Eric Bienemy be the OC? Do they have history, other than last night? Or is Gannon tied to the Pentzig guy from Cleveland?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
If the Eagles defense isn't really that good, and it's Gannon's fault they lost for allowing a whole 3 normal situation TD's then can someone explain to me why Kafka should skate on only putting up 7 against them in the playoffs?

If we're going to get angsty about Gannon let's get angsty about Kafka too right?

The Giants only scored more than 24 twice all year. Their 9 wins were against the Titans, early sucky Panthers, Bears, early sucked balls Packers, Ravens, early 2-4 Jags, Texans, Heinicke led Commanders and the Colts. The only team there with a winning record is the Ravens.
Talent. Eagles have tons on defense. Giants have none on offense.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Bidwill might end up losing Anarumo if he doesn’t make a decision and get this done. Decision needs to be made before Bidwill ends up relegated to hiring Vance Joseph because everyone else backs out

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Talent. Eagles have tons on defense. Giants have none on offense.
I mean there’s a lot of guys that have been around for a long time but I wouldn’t consider them a high-end defense talent-wise like SF for example. Their best guys are mostly past their primes.

Just fading ASFN here

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose