Discussion Before Hire: Jonathan Gannon Thread

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The offensive coach thing

it was a lot more than that. Bidwill didn’t like the boozy/loud culture in the building which he wasn’t incorrect about and when BA’s health issues kept popping up then Keim was kept on. Also many felt that BA had run his course, too stubborn and old to listen to anyone.

He was allowed to leave/managed out more than ran out.

All fair points, coupled with BA couldn't get out of town fast enough once he knew Palmer was calling it a career.

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
The offensive coach thing

it was a lot more than that. Bidwill didn’t like the boozy/loud culture in the building which he wasn’t incorrect about and when BA’s health issues kept popping up then Keim was kept on. Also many felt that BA had run his course, too stubborn and old to listen to anyone.

He was allowed to leave/managed out more than ran out.
he was the best coach the team ever head and should have never been allowed to leave.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
he was the best coach the team ever head and should have never been allowed to leave.

I think people are really trying to not take this at face value.

BA had 2 years left on his deal that he could have got paid out if he didn't retire. The whole "forced out" thing is crap. Does BA seem like the forcing out type? If they wanted him gone he would have made them can him so he got paid.

He just wanted out. He was late 60's, he was only hanging around for a superbowl shot and once Palmer was done he wasn't interested.

He did practically the same thing in Tampa when he could see the writing on the wall.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
. Bidwill didn’t like the boozy/loud culture in the building
Seems like Bidwill wants nothing to do with alpha males, which is probably why he continues to fail.

Guys like BA/Payton/Harbaugh win, and have the ego to go along with it. Just sad that a guy like Bidwill is too fragile to deal with another strong male influence.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Where is the evidence that Monti or Seas are good at identifying talent? Maybe they are, maybe they ain’t, but we have no real idea.

LOL. Montis list is included in the wide net but difficult to say it’s driving it based on a passing comment from Albert Breer and two dudes we already passed on.

Where do you think that story was seeded to begin with?

We have to find a coach; people on both sides are just willing to run with the faintest speculation.
The only evidence, & I use that word with caution is what other football people or coaches say about said person. That's all we have to go on with someone in a first time roll in their job. Chris Speilman raved about Sears, called him the "most knowledgeable football person he's ever been around". That's pretty high praise. Can't remember all the people praising Monti but it was quite a few.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So, X, what do you think of Y interviewing for the GM position?

X (in his head): that dude couldn’t evaluate a glass of water

X (out loud): most knowledgeable football person I have ever been around

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
That he had a heavy hand in himself
Laughable. You really think he was on his fishing boat in Georgia scouting players? He told Keim what positions he wanted/needed and was stubborn on his backup QB preferences and certain special teams guys but let's be clear - BA was definitely not in Keim's ear telling him to draft a running back out of Texas A&M to start at cornerback as a rookie or encouraging him to draft Nkemdiche so he could move out in his relative prime one of the best all-around players and locker room guys in the history of the franchise in Calais Campbell.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The only evidence, & I use that word with caution is what other football people or coaches say about said person. That's all we have to go on with someone in a first time roll in their job. Chris Speilman raved about Sears, called him the "most knowledgeable football person he's ever been around". That's pretty high praise. Can't remember all the people praising Monti but it was quite a few.
Show me in that quote anything about a special gift for talent acquisition.

GMs are basically administrators who hire and fire people and run processes. Some processes naturally lead to bad or inconsistent results; some people get sidetracked by success or failure and abandon their process.

Some guys are just exceptionally gifted at managing their bosses.

I'm not sure why I should value Chris Spielman's opinion over anyone else's. The NFL is a closed system; everyone says nice things about everyone else until it's 100% certain they're gonna be out of the league forever.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Laughable. You really think he was on his fishing boat in Georgia scouting players? He told Keim what positions he wanted/needed and was stubborn on his backup QB preferences and certain special teams guys but let's be clear - BA was definitely not in Keim's ear telling him to draft a running back out of Texas A&M to start at cornerback as a rookie or encouraging him to draft Nkemdiche so he could move out in his relative prime one of the best all-around players and locker room guys in the history of the franchise in Calais Campbell.

lol

He was there in the draft room involved in every decision. You think Keim is drafting anyone without BA giving it the go ahead?

I have no doubt BA could care less around who we drafted in round 6. But those first few rounds BA was all over. We already have several accounts from him meeting various prospects and you think it was coincidence we drafted an undersized DE from his alma mater?

Keim certainly holds the can, it's his job, but let's not pretend BA didn't have a hand in it too.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Doesn't this suggest whoever it is is Monti's guy?

You don't wait this long to interview Gannon if Mike was just going to say "Screw those guys I'm hiring my dude". I find the idea that Gannon is Monti's guy and Anarumo is Bidwill's guy extremely silly.
Lol. No. It suggests that we don’t know. It literally is saying if it’s not Gannon it’s likely Mikey’s pick. You wear weird glasses that distort everything.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The NFL is a closed system; everyone says nice things about everyone else until it's 100% certain they're gonna be out of the league forever.

This is true, but also you don't talk at length for several minutes about Sears great qualities if you don't believe it. If it wasn't true he could have just turned down the invitation to go on Wolf & Luke and discuss him and said he was busy considering he was booked to do just that.

You could argue Spielman's opinion doesn't mean much be he certain believes what he said about Sears.

There are some anecdotes after the original text that was published that are worth listening to.

Metcalf Rules

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Also on Gannon one thing I’ve noted is how he and his defense seem to be living rent-free in the 49ers heads the last few weeks. Anyone who pulls that off has something about him - swag, it factor, whatever you want to call it. BA had same thing.
I nominate “We’re gonna gut these f######!” For Mad Jack’s banner next time the Niners come to town.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone explain to me what makes this guy special?
They discussed this yesterday on Burns and Gambo. Burns was trying really hard to tie them together. Ossenfort and Gannon are not friends and they never worked in any of the same places at the same time. No obvious connection at all. Then this was shared on Twitter and talked about quite a bit on the show:

According to Sports Illustrated, "Over the summer, new Arizona GM Monti Ossenfort (with some help from his agent) came up with a list of 10 to 12 coaches that he'd wanted to get to know, so he'd have a solid list to work from in case he landed a GM job after the season. Three guys on that list wound up impressing him -- Bengals OC Brian Callahan, Lions DC Aaron Glenn, and (Jonathan) Gannon."

So he is high on Ossenfort's list because of his pre-GM interactions with Gannon. Apparently, the top guys on his list are guys he felt had "it" and could lead a team.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard