Discussion Before Hire: Jonathan Gannon Thread

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
One reason I didn’t want Ryan was he had a stacked defense. The same could be said for Gannon.
I think On paper Anarumo is the best of the rest.
I want Anarumo also but if Monti & Sears are as good as they're supposed to be at identifying talent, imagine how good he could make that defense?

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m going to lay out the 2 reasons why we should all be in support of hiring Gannon.
1. When the season started, MO put together a list of HC’s that he would go after if he were to land a GM position. At the top of his list was Gannon. As Cardinal fans, the one thing we absolutely, positively must see happen with this franchise RIGHT NOW is Bidwill’s meddling coming to an END! I believe that if Anarumo gets the job it’ll be because of Michael overruling MO on this hire. And that just means the same old Cardinals. If MO’s guy is Gannon, then we have to pray Gannon gets the job.
2. The rumors I hear are that if Gannon gets the job, he is adamant that he wants to bring in his own DC from his Philadelphia staff. If Anarumo gets the job, then VJ remains the DC. For that reason alone, I want Gannon. I refuse no matter what to watch another Cardinal game with VJ as DC. Just won’t do it.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m going to lay out the 2 reasons why we should all be in support of hiring Gannon.
1. When the season started, MO put together a list of HC’s that he would go after if he were to land a GM position. At the top of his list was Gannon. As Cardinal fans, the one thing we absolutely, positively must see happen with this franchise RIGHT NOW is Bidwill’s meddling coming to an END! I believe that if Anarumo gets the job it’ll be because of Michael overruling MO on this hire. And that just means the same old Cardinals. If MO’s guy is Gannon, then we have to pray Gannon gets the job.
2. The rumors I hear are that if Gannon gets the job, he is adamant that he wants to bring in his own DC from his Philadelphia staff. If Anarumo gets the job, then VJ remains the DC. For that reason alone, I want Gannon. I refuse no matter what to watch another Cardinal game with VJ as DC. Just won’t do it.
Lies as soon as Kyler sets foot back on the field even with VJ with the team you’ll be watching. You aren’t fooling nobody…. Lol NOBODY

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I mean there’s a lot of guys that have been around for a long time but I wouldn’t consider them a high-end defense talent-wise like SF for example. Their best guys are mostly past their primes.

Just fading ASFN here
Niners are a step above virtually everyone defensively. Eagles still have a great deal of talent.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

So... new GM, new AGM, new H-C, new O-C (new QC), new additions to positional coaching, and you won't watch another game unless you get all your wants?

Let's not overstate the Gannon relationship to MO. He's had an opportunity to interview Anarumo twice and has done his due diligence. He could be convinced he's the right man for the job without any so-called meddling or insistence from MB. And why exactly would MB favour Anarumo over all others; where's the evidence?

Rumours are like a-holes. Everyone has one. Gannon could conclude that apart from a few tweaks, his defensive concepts and VJ's are compatible. And he could reach this conclusion without the tired MB 'overruling' narrative being trotted out.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I agree with most of this but I'm not sure on the "If it's Anarumo it means Mike overruled him" part.

The list that MO put together was just a starting point, not an end point. Nobody makes a list like that and says "That's it, that list isn't open to new additions".

As Monti's list seems to be driving the search I think it more likely that it was Monti that added Anarumo rather than Mike saying "This is my guy".

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The "It's got to be an offensive coach" argument is weak to me.

There's an obvious problem. If every team is only looking to hire offensive HC's there can never be enough qualified offensive minds with the skills required to fill those roles. So you end up with Hackett's, Gase's and Arthur Smiths's as head coaches. You end up hiring 4's from the offensive side of the coaching pool while a bunch of 8's, 9's and 10's from the other areas of football languish.

As far as I can tell only 13 teams had play calling HC's last year leaving 19 that didn't.

Look at this list of current OC's. How many of them scream head coach?

Steichen - 37 - 3 year OC
Callahan - 38 - 4 year OC but doesn't call plays
Bieniemy - 53 - 15 failed HC interviews and doesn't call plays
Kafka - 35 - 1 year OC
Johnson - 36 - 1 year OC

That's the best 5 candidates from the 32 current OC's. There's no McVay's, Shanny's or Reid's there. Of the 5 I'd bet at least 2 are Kliff's and 1 is a Gase. EB is by far the most qualified but 15 failed HC interviews happens for a reason.

It's not exactly a great bunch.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Report: The Philadelphia #Eagles have "made an effort" to keep Defensive Coordinator Jonathan Gannon from parting for the #Cardinals head coach job, according to Sports Illustrated.
@SInow

Last edited:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I want Anarumo also but if Monti & Sears are as good as they're supposed to be at identifying talent, imagine how good he could make that defense?

Where is the evidence that Monti or Seas are good at identifying talent? Maybe they are, maybe they ain’t, but we have no real idea.

I agree with most of this but I'm not sure on the "If it's Anarumo it means Mike overruled him" part.

The list that MO put together was just a starting point, not an end point. Nobody makes a list like that and says "That's it, that list isn't open to new additions".

As Monti's list seems to be driving the search I think it more likely that it was Monti that added Anarumo rather than Mike saying "This is my guy".
LOL. Montis list is included in the wide net but difficult to say it’s driving it based on a passing comment from Albert Breer and two dudes we already passed on.

Where do you think that story was seeded to begin with?

We have to find a coach; people on both sides are just willing to run with the faintest speculation.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Where is the evidence that Monti or Seas are good at identifying talent? Maybe they are, maybe they ain’t, but we have no real idea.

LOL. Montis list is included in the wide net but difficult to say it’s driving it based on a passing comment from Albert Breer and two dudes we already passed on.

Where do you think that story was seeded to begin with?

We have to find a coach; people on both sides are just willing to run with the faintest speculation.

They didn't wait until post superbowl to interview one guy at the top of Monti's list because Monti isn't driving it.

I know you want to Mike is just throwing darts at the wall but reports suggests it's been an organised methodical search driven largely by Monti. Whereas the "Mike doesn't know what he's doing and is just picking random names he heard on the TV" is literally something made up here.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
They didn't wait until post superbowl to interview one guy at the top of Monti's list because Monti isn't driving it.

I know you want to Mike is just throwing darts at the wall but reports suggests it's been an organised methodical search driven largely by Monti. Whereas the "Mike doesn't know what he's doing and is just picking random names he heard on the TV" is literally something made up here.
Why not? What’s the rush now?

The Mike doesn’t know what he’s doing theory is supported by all evidence sine he ran Bruce Arians out for the sin of going 7-8-1 in a season featuring Blaine Gabbert.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

The Mike doesn’t know what he’s doing theory is supported by all evidence sine he ran Bruce Arians out for the sin of going 7-8-1 in a season featuring Blaine Gabbert.
For me the Blaine Gabbert scenario had to do with Arians and his yes man Keim not being able to find and develop a young QB, more than Mikey's burden. Arians had quite a lot of pull when he was our coach and was the brains behind what little Keim had when looking at the draft and finding talent. I think this forum as a whole was sort of perturbed with Arians by this point and wanted to move on from him too, because we could not find another Palmer type which he could succeed. Arians is a great coach, but needs an established QB to win as a head coach in my opinion

pemory09

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Let’s face it though, given our history could “Mike doesn't know what he's doing and is just picking random names he heard on the TV" be any worse???

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Wait, what now? Were using old made up nonsense from this board to support new made up nonsense from this board and using the word evidence while doing it?

I'll bite. Show me the evidence BA was "run off" and that he didn't just jack it in because Palmer was retiring and he didn't want to spend years developing a rookie QB.

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For me the Blaine Gabbert scenario had to do with Arians and his yes man Keim not being able to find and develop a young QB, more than Mikey's burden. Arians had quite a lot of pull when he was our coach and was the brains behind what little Keim had when looking at the draft and finding talent. I think this forum as a whole was sort of perturbed with Arians by this point and wanted to move on from him too, because we could not find another Palmer type which he could succeed. Arians is a great coach, but needs an established QB to win as a head coach in my opinion

Which was 100% proven by him unretiring and getting the best vet QB he could while signing Gabbert as a backup.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lies as soon as Kyler sets foot back on the field even with VJ with the team you’ll be watching. You aren’t fooling nobody…. Lol NOBODY
You would be surprised. With my bad ticker, I’ve been forced to do it before. After the first 2 games of the 2018 season, I didn’t watch a single game that season live. I’ll tape it & watch it later though. Blood pressure doesn’t spike when I already know the outcome. Cardinals have done irreversible damage to my health lol.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So... new GM, new AGM, new H-C, new O-C (new QC), new additions to positional coaching, and you won't watch another game unless you get all your wants?

Let's not overstate the Gannon relationship to MO. He's had an opportunity to interview Anarumo twice and has done his due diligence. He could be convinced he's the right man for the job without any so-called meddling or insistence from MB. And why exactly would MB favour Anarumo over all others; where's the evidence?

Rumours are like a-holes. Everyone has one. Gannon could conclude that apart from a few tweaks, his defensive concepts and VJ's are compatible. And he could reach this conclusion without the tired MB 'overruling' narrative being trotted out.
For health reasons alone, I cannot watch another Cardinal game live if VJ is still there. I know what a pathetic developer of talent that he is & his system overall makes it impossible for me to watch. Just the sight of him raises my BP now. Doctors orders. That’s what watching this franchise for 60 years has done to me lol.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
For health reasons alone, I cannot watch another Cardinal game live if VJ is still there. I know what a pathetic developer of talent that he is & his system overall makes it impossible for me to watch. Just the sight of him raises my BP now. Doctors orders. That’s what watching this franchise for 60 years has done to me lol.

So given a choice between your health or watching the Cards, you choose health?

What a 'wuss'! ;)

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score

it was a lot more than that. Bidwill didn’t like the boozy/loud culture in the building which he wasn’t incorrect about and when BA’s health issues kept popping up then Keim was kept on. Also many felt that BA had run his course, too stubborn and old to listen to anyone.

He was allowed to leave/managed out more than ran out.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson