Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It just gets uglier

Green sounds like a coach waiting to get fired

Dan Bickley
The Arizona Republic
Oct. 23, 2006 12:00 AM

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]OAKLAND - In Bird Land, the debacles never end.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]But this time, Dennis Green took all the blame, and that can mean only one thing: He's getting fired.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Or maybe that's just his final wish as head coach of the Cardinals. [/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]"Bill Bidwill is not as disappointed as I am," Green said. "But he's disappointed. He's got to be."[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Now, should he be fired?[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Absolutely. But there's one big problem. There's no better option on Green's staff at the moment. And as evidenced by his team's track record, Mr. Bidwill has a very high tolerance for failure.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]So, buckle up. Green could get fired today. Or maybe the Cardinals wait and turn the bye week (which begins after next week's game in Green Bay) into the bye-bye week. Or maybe Bidwill is determined to make Green work for every penny on his contract (the coach has one more guaranteed year after this season at $2.5 million). [/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Still, with all the money Bidwill didn't spend on players this year, the price tag shouldn't be a problem.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Nevertheless, with a six-game losing streak and a football team circling the drain, Green's future is the only pressing matter left with the Cardinals. And after a wretched 22-9 loss to the Raiders on Sunday, it almost seemed like Green was begging for an early dismissal.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]"There are a lot of (good) things, but I have not been able to find a way to do it with the team that we have," Green said. "I think anybody would love to coach the team, to be honest with you. I think there's some damn good young guys (on the team). We've had not one single off-the-field issue. They're good men. They're good guys. They like to play the game. And I'm just very disappointed that I haven't been able to do a better job."[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Aren't we all? Instead, for the third consecutive season, Green has lost to the worst team in football. Three years ago, the Cardinals lost twice to the 49ers. They were the only games that San Francisco would win all year.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Meanwhile, the two-win Texans smoked the Cardinals in 2005. And against the winless Raiders on Sunday, there were countless examples of horrid coaching.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]The team wasn't prepared. There was no effort early on. There didn't seem to be a coherent game plan.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]In fact, one week after firing the previous offensive coordinator, the offense actually got worse. To wit:[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]On their own goal line, they put in a fullback (A.J. Schable) who was a defensive end in college. Two weeks ago, he told a writer that he hadn't touched the football since high school. Schable promptly whiffed on a block and Marcel Shipp got nailed for a safety.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Then, on a key fourth down in the fourth quarter, they called a pass for Carlyle Holiday . . . even though Holiday has never caught a pass in his NFL career. [/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Duh. And when the latest display of dog-breath football was over, Edgerrin James sat at his locker . . . laughing. He claimed he was warned about coming to the Cardinals but didn't believe what he heard. They never do.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]"It's making me look like I can't even run or something," he said. "And I've been running forever."[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Yet while the head coach must shoulder the ultimate blame, here's the deal with Green: [/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Sideline management has never been his strong suit. His strength is talent evaluation, and the level of talent has certainly improved on his watch. After the love-in with Dave McGinnis, Green also was brought in to rule with an iron fist, and that has brought mixed results.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Truth is, Green and the Cardinals have never recovered from the hubris that marked his debut season, when he carelessly dismantled the offensive line just to send a message.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]"I look at it and feel like there's going to be a lot of good players around here for a long time that are going to be good players," Green said. "I just don't want those guys getting discouraged, feeling that there's something about Arizona. There's nothing about Arizona. . . . "[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Wrong. There is something about Arizona, namely the ownership. Mr. Bidwill has never splurged on top-shelf assistant coaches, which is why Green's sideline weaknesses have been exposed, and why there's no better alternative currently on staff. And then there's all that unspent salary-cap money, the green that could've made Green's life a lot easier.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Now, at some point, they'll have to fire the coach. The Cardinals will have over $40 million to spend on players next season, and you don't want a lame-duck coach making those decisions. And, clearly, Green has lost the collective heart of his players.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]But before the pink slip flies, three requests for a reclusive owner who has overseen one winning season since moving to Arizona:[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Look in the mirror. Open the wallet. And then ask your rookie quarterback to go recruit his former college coach, Pete Carroll[/FONT]

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"There are a lot of (good) things, but I have not been able to find a way to do it with the team that we have," Green said. "I think anybody would love to coach the team, to be honest with you. I think there's some damn good young guys (on the team). We've had not one single off-the-field issue. They're good men. They're good guys. They like to play the game. And I'm just very disappointed that I haven't been able to do a better job."

That quote right there is proof posotive that Green himself has given up. Get him the hell out of here NOW PLEASE!

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Shane for gods sake. He is a man to say that. And he is helping the organization by saying that. Had he pulled a Rice, or Jones or A. Wiiliam and shat on the organization we wouldnt be able to get a coach from anywhere but Pop Warner.

He is devestated he could not do it, feels bad and wants to do anything to help, including pumping up the team so the org can get another quality coach.

Dont have to beat him down for it. He tried and failed. At least he brought us talent. Any of our past coaches would have taked a 3rd rounder with the 10th pick and not have taken Leinart.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shane for gods sake. He is a man to say that. And he is helping the organization by saying that. Had he pulled a Rice, or Jones or A. Wiiliam and shat on the organization we wouldnt be able to get a coach from anywhere but Pop Warner.

He is devestated he could not do it, feels bad and wants to do anything to help, including pumping up the team so the org can get another quality coach.

Dont have to beat him down for it. He tried and failed. At least he brought us talent. Any of our past coaches would have taked a 3rd rounder with the 10th pick and not have taken Leinart.

:roll:

Yea ok. You go ahead and think that. He still has 2.5 imill on his contract to be payed him next year. If he truly feels the way you are saying he does he will volunteer to not be bought out and payed that salary once he is fired. Lets see if that happens and then and only then will we know if you are right.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bill Bidwill is not as disappointed as I am," Green said

THIS is why we suck.

Thats just a figure a speech by the way. You sure are on some awkward roll today.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
:roll:

Yea ok. You go ahead and think that. He still has 2.5 imill on his contract to be payed him next year. If he truly feels the way you are saying he does he will volunteer to not be bought out and payed that salary once he is fired. Lets see if that happens and then and only then will we know if you are right.

? That has nothing to do with what I said. If I was in his shoes and I failed, Im still taking the money. You would too.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
? That has nothing to do with what I said. If I was in his shoes and I failed, Im still taking the money. You would too.

Yes it does. If he truly feels the way you say he does(which he doesnt) then the money wouldnt be issue PERIOD. If he thinks he failed the team so bad like you say he IMO would think he doesnt deserve it.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes it does. If he truly feels the way you say he does(which he doesnt) then the money wouldnt be issue PERIOD. If he thinks he failed the team so bad like you say he IMO would think he doesnt deserve it.

So if you took the job, did the best you could, stacked the team and failed to win you would say "I failed, forget the money?" Whatever dude. No player or coach in the history on the NFL did that why should Green?

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
So if you took the job, did the best you could, stacked the team and failed to win you would say "I failed, forget the money?" Whatever dude. No player or coach in the history on the NFL did that why should Green?

No it won't come to that, he'll not be the coach next year and he'll get his money, he deserves it he signed a contract and he tried, case closed this is life in the NFL.

I believe he deserves it, he made some decisions, he tried, he fufilled the terms of his contract end of story.

There's no point in canning him right now, at least wait for the timing of it to benefit the team, canning him now does nothing.

I disliked the guy from day one but even I think he did try to win here, he just botched the Oline IMO, it can happen.

I think long term its for the best but that's just my opinion, had he gotten the oline thing right eventually I think his lack of ability as a field coach would have done him in but probably years and years later after some success and a lot of frustration we'd be at square one again.

Big T

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Hopefully not everyone sets the bar on the standard of morality as low as you seem to.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hopefully not everyone sets the bar on the standard of morality as low as you seem to.

Seeing as how no one in the hostory of the NFL has done what you suggest to be the 'normal moral thing to do' I would say you are 100% wrong. Not even 99% just a full 100%.

As it was stated above he fulfilled his contract.

Are you and shane suggesting he purposely put out a bad team? That would be the most assinine statement ever made on a board full of assinine comments.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I am with him too. I take the money. If there was a problem with it, they wouldn't guarantee the contract. Especially when NFL contracts are not guaranteed, (except for coaches) I take the money and run every time.

Big T

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
What?

You are trying to tell everyone no NFL head coach has ever resigned before?

What kind of joker are you?

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

A contract is a contract, not a feel-good piece of toilet paper. If DG did his level best to win, he is owed the money, whether he is here or not.

If I fired every employee who had ever cost me money because of a mistake, I would be sitting in an empty office. If I then withheld their paycheck, I would be rightfully called every bad name in the book. Why should it be different in football?

The Shark

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What?

You are trying to tell everyone no NFL head coach has ever resigned before?

What kind of joker are you?

With a year remaining and 2.5 millio sitting there? Yeah Id venture to guess it hasnt happened unless it was for health reasons.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With a year remaining and 2.5 millio sitting there? Yeah Id venture to guess it hasnt happened unless it was for health reasons.

I'd venture to guess you're right. Maybe a guy retired, but that's another story entirely.

Big T

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
A contract is a contract, not a feel-good piece of toilet paper. If DG did his level best to win, he is owed the money, whether he is here or not.

If I fired every employee who had ever cost me money because of a mistake, I would be sitting in an empty office. If I then withheld their paycheck, I would be rightfully called every bad name in the book. Why should it be different in football?

The Shark

I don't know about you, but having successfully owned and managed business's myself, I'd say there's a big difference between "every employee" and whom ever I have managing.

Besides, I have no real qualms about the Bidwills paying off the rest of this years contract. I was referring more to a man whom has obviously failed at what he was hired to do, yet still not willing to resign, and just banking the money he fraudulently collected.....but I guess that's considered morally acceptable in the corporate world these days.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Green "resigned" in Minnesota with 2 years left on his contract and one game left in the season, and he still got paid for 2 years as part of the settlement.

If he resigns now I seriously doubt it would be without money, pretty sure they put that stuff in contracts since most NFL coaches are going to face this situation, especially with us.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know about you, but having successfully owned and managed business's myself, I'd say there's a big difference between "every employee" and whom ever I have managing.

Besides, I have no real qualms about the Bidwills paying off the rest of this years contract. I was referring more to a man whom has obviously failed at what he was hired to do, yet still not willing to resign, and just banking the money he fraudulently collected.....but I guess that's considered morally acceptable in the corporate world these days.

Why did you use the word "fraudulently?"

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was referring more to a man whom has obviously failed at what he was hired to do, yet still not willing to resign, and just banking the money he fraudulently collected......

Well that shows why you have no idea what you're talking about. Also could be why your alone on this thread.

Big T

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Why did you use the word "fraudulently?"

Because I felt like it !! Is that OK with you?
And since when has reasonableness, factual content, or accuracy been a requirement for posting here, or on any message board?

I'm pissed OK? Pissed at the job Green has done, and that word just popped out as a good way of expressing how I feel about the job he's done.

Now do I dispute, that in HIS mind, he's a greater coach than Vince Lombardi, Paul Brown, or George Halas? Not at all. He probably thinks God should bow down to him.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because I felt like it !! Is that OK with you?
And since when has reasonableness, factual content, or accuracy been a requirement for posting here, or on any message board?

I'm pissed OK? Pissed at the job Green has done, and that word just popped out as a good way of expressing how I feel about the job he's done.

Now do I dispute, that in HIS mind, he's a greater coach than Vince Lombardi, Paul Brown, or George Halas? Not at all. He probably thinks God should bow down to him.

Okay. Okay. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
BullheadCardFan

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NFL Coach Approval Ratings - Week 7

Denny is at the bottom ...

You must be registered for see images attach

14%

Team: Arizona Cardinals

Record: 1-6

Votes: 2,492

Green's Last Loss?

Will Dennis Green be the first coach to leave this list? Rumors are sure to fly after Green's Cardinals turned in a listless effort a week after a memorable collapse against the Bears, handing the woeful Raiders their first win of the season. The Cardinals were equally bad on both sides of the ball, allowing the Raiders to pile up more than 400 yards of total offense, while Matt Leinart tossed two interceptions and Edgerrin James failed to crack 40 yards rushing. Unlike last week, when Leinart's strong performance won many converts, there was absolutely no upside to this loss. And while it's never entirely the coach's fault, Green does appear to most likely to take the fall for a horrible start to a season that promised better for the franchise.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/sportsnation/ratings

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson