Delussions of Grandure: A Pass Rush Away from a Dominant Defense

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everyone can agree that the most glaring problem the Cardinals have on defense is the pass rush. But that's the biggest componant of a defense and all other areas are suffering for it.

Our linebackers are good, athletic players who are solid tacklers. The reason they haven't made a name for themselves as a unit is because the guys in front of them aren't getting it done. You hear it even with the superstars--teams like Chicago and Baltimore want players up front to get the blockers off of Urlacher and Lewis. We need playmakers on the defensive line for our linebackers to be more effective.

Our defensive backs have faced offenses that have had up to 12-15 seconds to throw the ball. A pair of Deon Sanders' couldn't cover for that long. We need a pass rush to force offenses to rush a play, to play the game on our terms, not theirs.

The defense held up remarkably well lagainst the run ast year at the beginning of the season, despite not having any sembalance of pass rush. If we can sign a pass rushing DE (Holliday, Colvin, Suggs) and/or possibly add another tackle (Kennedy, Wilkinson) we'll see all aspects of the defense click into place and become, dare I say, dominant.

The pass rush is the key because it speeds up the timetable on which the offense depends. The LBs come free because the OLine is worried about the Dline and the CBs can cover effectively and come up with more interceptions on forced balls. We have many of the peices in place for a very good defense.

Flame away....

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
I'd say you about summed it up.

Pass rushers are a premium but interesting enough it might be a smart way to build a defense to add the rushers last since if you add them first by the time the defense dominates then you can't afford to keep all the other pieces.

Just a thought.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Originally posted by conraddobler
Pass rushers are a premium but interesting enough it might be a smart way to build a defense to add the rushers last since if you add them first by the time the defense dominates then you can't afford to keep all the other pieces.

Bam!

We need bad asses at defensive tackle, middle linebacker and safety.
Look at any quality defense and they have these spots filled with talent.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Originally posted by SECTION 11
Bam!

We need bad asses at defensive tackle, middle linebacker and safety.
Look at any quality defense and they have these spots filled with talent.

Agree with this post. The DE's get the glory but it is a requirement that the big guys on the line get a big push. I think I just read that the biggest need and most sought after position in the NFL is either the Left Guard or Left Tackle.

football24/7

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with all of you. If Colvin signs we have a "good dilema" to handle. We put Colvin at RDE, and KVB at LDE. Bring in Johnson on passing situations at RDE. Draft Kennedy Robertson to play along Bryant. Or do you take Suggs and find a spot for him, say OLB. Lots of scenarios to think about.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Originally posted by football24/7
Draft Kennedy Robertson to play along Bryant.

Do we get both Dewayne Robertson and Jimmy Kennedy if we do that.I'll take that over Leftwich or Suggs any day.:thumbup:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson