Dbacks @ Padres series thead (aka the series that turned it all around)

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
First pitch at 7:40 tonight. Greinke vs. Shields Jackie Robinson Day.

I want to see some fire from these guys!

OP
OP
Bert

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Things to know about this game
• Zack Greinke will be making his third start for the D-backs. In 12 career starts against the Padres he is 6-1 with a 1.56 ERA.
• James Shields is making his third start of the season. Last year he was 2-2 with a 4.97 ERA in four games against Arizona.
• The Padres are still looking for their first run of the year at Petco Park after being outscored 25-0 in the season-opening series there against the Dodgers. They have been shut out five times in their first 10 games.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
gotta win this series. Haaaaaave to.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
We need a W, period... And although it's still very early, that W NEEDS to come from Greinke tonight. If he can't beat the Padres, or, if he can't put up a high-quality start, then I am officially on near freak-out mode. After giving him that contract, he simply has to produce a top-quality start tonight. If he doesn't, I think it's fair for us to begin speculating on his health...

Dude

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
We need a W, period... And although it's still very early, that W NEEDS to come from Greinke tonight. If he can't beat the Padres, or, if he can't put up a high-quality start, then I am officially on near freak-out mode. After giving him that contract, he simply has to produce a top-quality start tonight. If he doesn't, I think it's fair for us to begin speculating on his health...

+1

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Hard luck inning for Greinke... Two infield hits. Upton should've been out at 3rd base but Lamb was lazy putting down the tag - Castillo's throw beat him by a mile! And a base hit to left and Tomas with a horrendous throw that gets past Castillo and inexcusably Greinke wasn't backing up Castillo... WTF happened to this team? They were so fundamentally sound defensively...and now look like the Bad News Bears!! [emoji35][emoji35][emoji35]

OP
OP
Bert

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
My thoughts exactly 82. I keep asking what the heck is going on in their heads. So weird.

Greinke seems to be not quite on the same page as Welly. They are sure negotiating a lot out there and taking a long time with signs.

Nevertheless good to see a quick inning from Zack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
WTH Peralta?? Stupid decision to try to steal 3rd! You NEVER make the third out at third base! Damn they are all so lost! Just pressing way too much!!!!

OP
OP
Bert

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
WTH Peralta?? Stupid decision to try to steal 3rd! You NEVER make the third out at third base! Damn they are all so lost! Just pressing way too much!!!!

Yeah that was too much for me I had to get up and walk away for a while. lol :bang:

OP
OP
Bert

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
OMG and they almost collide in the outfield on a routine fly ball. lol

Dude was right this is the bad news bears. :(

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score

Good thing Gibby is not managing this mess, we would never hear the end of it.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Wow... 3 pitches, 3 strikes... Gokdy is completely lost at the plate. I don't think I have ever seen him look so bad.

OP
OP
Bert

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Wow... 3 pitches, 3 strikes... Gokdy is completely lost at the plate. I don't think I have ever seen him look so bad.

Was just about to say the same thing. I know he struggled in the 2nd half last year, but this is as lost as I have ever seen him.

OP
OP
Bert

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
WE WIN!

That was freaking brilliant by Zig and yes, by Hale in the 9th! Rocky start but a HUGE K for Zig and then I totally agreed with Chip to walk the bases loaded to set up the double play and it worked to perfection. Well played, well coached at the end and a big win.

Man that last at-bat to Jay was just beautiful. Ziegler completely dominated him the entire at bat. Every pitch was down and away and there was just nothing Jay could do with any of them. That was fun to watch.

Hopefully this is something they can build on. The offense still worries me but you have to believe Goldy is going to come around and that will hopefully feed everyone.

What a gutty performance today. Very solid by Greinke today as well. GO DBACKS

Last edited:

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Walking him to load the bases and go for the double play was a no-brainer. Jeez, we all saw that coming. Give it up to Z for making it happen. Every win is a good win. Let's build on it.

Dude

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It's a win. Did what they should have done. Get the next two and then maybe I will be a little more upbeat.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
The best part of the win was that Greinke did what he is supposed to do. That was very reassuring.
That said, our offense is beyond putrid right now. Shields is tough so have to attribute some of our ineptitude to him... But man, Goldy is freaking me out...

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
I am not worried about Goldy. As bad as he looked in the second half last year, he was still hitting around .300 after the All-Star Break. His numbers were just evening out since he had a monster 1st half. It would really help if people could get on base for him, but he'll likely go on a hot streak soon if he's not hurt right now.

The Pollock injury was pretty demoralizing, but after watching Brito, I can't wait to see them in the outfield together.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard