Day 5 Training Camp Report

Stronso

Schweddy Balls
Reaction score
COYOTES TRAINING CAMP - DAY 5

TRAINING CAMP NOTES

By: Damon Markiewicz

Day Five:

After a day off on Tuesday, the Coyotes returned to practice at the ALLTEL Ice Den on Wednesday, September 17 with the players participating in both on and off-ice workouts.

With 46 players remaining in training camp, the players continue to be split into two groups with each set of players going through practice drills and a 60-minute scrimmage. The coaching staff continues to rotate line combinations to eval uate all of the players on the training camp roster and get a feel for which trios can make an impression once the preseason schedule begins.

LENEVEU BACK ON THE ICE

Coyotes goaltender David LeNeveu participated in Wednesday’s workout after missing the previous four practices with a sprained knee. LeNeveu skated with Coyotes goaltender coach Benoit Allaire on Monday and felt good enough to join his teammates for organized workouts.

“It seems like I have been out of action forever, so it definitely feels good to be back on the ice,” said LeNeveu. “Today was my first skate with all of the veterans and it is a good learning experience for me to see how talented these guys are. Even though it is practice, you can see right away how much faster the game is at this level.”

LeNeveu injured his knee during the Coyotes rookie camp in El, Segundo, California. LeNeveu blanked the San Jose Sharks 1-0 in his only start of the rookie tournament on Thursday, September 4 making 37 saves.

“I was really excited to play in my first pro game,” said LeNeveu. “It is always fun to be part of a winning situation and the guys really had some fun. It is important for all of us to get a taste of winning at this level and as a group we wanted to start the season off on a positive note.”

The Coyotes signed LeNeveu on July 2, 2003 after the rookie helped lead Cornell University to the 2003 NCAA Frozen Four as a sophomore. He was a runner up for the Hobey Baker Award last season, given annually to the Nation’s top collegiate player and he is looking to make the jump to the National Hockey League.

“I will definitely go through an adjustment stage,” said LeNeveu. “There is the old saying, you have to crawl before you can walk and walk before you can run, so I guess I am at the walking stage right now. I just want to gain as much experience as I can during this camp and learn from the veterans that know what it takes to be successful.”

CENTER OF ATTENTION

Coyotes center Daymond Langkow enters his third season with the Coyotes and will help lead a Phoenix team that has the potential to have four quality centers. Langkow, Krystofer Kolanos, Chris Gratton and Mike Sillinger have all seen time at center during camp and forward Jan Hrdina can also play the middle, but more than likely will be moved to the left wing.

Langkow has been playing on a line with Ladislav Nagy and Shane Doan during training camp. The trio has generated quality-scoring chances during camp and they combined for one goal in the Brick Red and White scrimmage.

“Playing with Shane (Doan) and Ladislav (Nagy) is always a lot fun because both players are very talented,” said Langkow. “We have been able to generate some scoring chances thus far, but it is a long season and each day you just have to strive to get better.”

Langkow led the entire NHL in face-offs taken last year with 1,972. He also ranked first among all Coyotes forwards in average time on ice (20:59) and led the team in plus/minus at +20 during the 2002-03 campaign. Langkow recorded his second consecutive 20-goal season last year.

“My mindset this season isn’t any different than the previous two years,” said Langkow. “I have always played a certain way, but since I arrived in Phoenix the coaching staff helped me realize there are many different ways a player can help a hockey team and with that in mind, I was able to take my play to a higher level. I am looking to get better as a player and help this team win hockey games.”

Since arriving in Phoenix prior to the 2001-02 season, Langkow has been the model of durability. He played in 80 games during the 2001-02 campaign and last year was one of only three Coyotes players to play in all 82 games. Phoenix went 23-8-5-2 when he registered a point during the 2002-03 season and he is someone the coaching staff can rely on in all situations.

“Daymond (Langkow) shows up to play hard every night,” said head coach Bob Francis. “He has been one of our best forwards during the past two years. He is a gritty guy and we will ask a lot out of Langkow once again. We probably asked Langkow to play too many minutes last season and now with the depth we have at the forward position, we can keep him fresh for the entire season.”

COYOTES AT POLAR ICE

The Phoenix Coyotes will host a “Sneak Peek” event at the Peoria Polar Ice Entertainment Facility on Thursday, September 18 from 4-7 PM. The event will allow the general public to view the Coyotes in their new uniforms prior to their first preseason game. The team will go through a full practice starting at 6:00 PM. At that time there will also be a special announcement!

“Thursday’s event is expected to be a lot of fun,” said captain Shane Doan. “I know the fans are excited about the new logo and the upcoming season. This event allows everyone to come out and view the new logo and have an exciting night out.”

Along with the open practice, there will also be a Coyotes Youth Hockey Clinic with Phoenix television/radio color analyst Charlie Simmer as a guest instructor.

The Peoria Polar Ice Entertainment Facility is located at 83rd Avenue in Peoria, south of Bell Road. For more information call 480-563-PUCK.

INJURY REPORT

The Coyotes currently have three injured players that are listed as day-to-day: Frank Banham (minor concussion), Martin Podlesak (bruised shoulder) and Kiel McLeod (enlarged spleen).

NEWS AND NOTES

NEW MEMBER OF THE FAMILY – Coyotes defenseman Todd Simpson and wife Effrossini are proud parents to a new baby boy, Parker William. The new member of the family was born on Tuesday, September 16. Parker weighed in at 8 pounds, 2 ounces.

SPLIT LOCATIONS - The Coyotes will resume practice on Thursday, September 18 with group one practicing at the ALLTEL Ice Den at 11:00 AM. Group two will participate in the “Sneak Peek” event at Peoria Polar Ice Entertainment Facility at 6:00 PM.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson