Suns Media Day and Training Camp 2023

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns Media Day is on Monday 10-2-2023 followed by the beginning of Training Camp on Tuesday.

Media Day will be broadcast live on Arizona Family at 10 AM.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
I guess we'll know on Monday if Grayson Allen is part of our future plans. Still haven't heard if he's made it to town.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sounds like the Suns really wanted Grayson Allen.

Now, if it is to trade or keep, I don't know. However, I read the trade was finalized.

By HoopsRumors September 30th, 2023 at 1:47pm CST by Rory Maher:

However, as Wojnarowski writes, due to Milwaukee’s insistence on secrecy, Cronin was unable to tell Suns CEO Josh Bartelstein the final details until the last minute. According to Woj, Phoenix knew it was getting Nurkic, Nassir Little and Keon Johnson from the Blazers in a three-team deal, but the Suns wanted another asset in return.

---------------------------------------------------

Only on Wednesday afternoon — just before the trade was made public — did Cronin confirm that it was Allen, whom the Suns had reportedly been interested in for several months. According to Wojnarowski, Bartelstein, GM James Jones and owner Mat Ishbia quickly discussed and then agreed to the deal.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I just got the scuttlebutt on why Allen isn't here yet.

Apparently when he got to the airport he found out his bag was too heavy for a carry on and when the attendant turned away he sucker punched him. He tried to plead his case with the airport police but ended up bursting into tears.

It will be a few more days before he can get in town.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I just got the scuttlebutt on why Allen isn't here yet.

Apparently when he got to the airport he found out his bag was too heavy for a carry on and when the attendant turned away he sucker punched him. He tried to plead his case with the airport police but ended up bursting into tears.

It will be a few more days before he can get in town.
Yeah, on the NBA floor he's used to the refs not seeing anything.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
It sounds like the Suns really wanted Grayson Allen.

Now, if it is to trade or keep, I don't know. However, I read the trade was finalized.

By HoopsRumors September 30th, 2023 at 1:47pm CST by Rory Maher:

However, as Wojnarowski writes, due to Milwaukee’s insistence on secrecy, Cronin was unable to tell Suns CEO Josh Bartelstein the final details until the last minute. According to Woj, Phoenix knew it was getting Nurkic, Nassir Little and Keon Johnson from the Blazers in a three-team deal, but the Suns wanted another asset in return.

---------------------------------------------------

Only on Wednesday afternoon — just before the trade was made public — did Cronin confirm that it was Allen, whom the Suns had reportedly been interested in for several months. According to Wojnarowski, Bartelstein, GM James Jones and owner Mat Ishbia quickly discussed and then agreed to the deal.

Bartelstein might be Ishbia’s right hand man for all we know. We know JJ didn’t want to do the KD deal and the Beal trade involved Bartelstein’s brother. Just saying.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bartelstein might be Ishbia’s right hand man for all we know. We know JJ didn’t want to do the KD deal and the Beal trade involved Bartelstein’s brother. Just saying.

I think James Jones wanted to do the Durant trade but like some of us on the forum, he had his limitations on what he would trade for him.

Personally, I drew the line at not trading Mikal Bridges. Jones may have drawn the line there as well. Ishbia didn't have those same reservations.

It's interesting you point out the Bartelstein connection. This certainly gave the Suns an inside track on getting Beal.

Sometime down the road James Jones could be replaced, but there is no need at the moment because he has let Ishbia stir the drink.

I do think Jones is a good GM as he put that Finals team together and probably had a lot of restrictions placed on him under Robert Sarver.

However, at some point, the Suns will lean more toward scouting and player development. IMO, this is not his strength.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns go into camp with 19 players, likely less Damion Lee who is injured.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns go into camp with 19 players, likely less Damion Lee who is injured.

Well that might give Keon Johnson a chance to stick.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
So, still no proof that Grayson Allen is in Phoenix? I've seen pictures of the other 3 principals of the trade in the Valley. I guess we'll see tomorrow!

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The youtube link is already up and there's like 35 people in the chat there -- 90 minutes BEFORE it starts.

Yeah, anticipation is pretty high.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm listening to Mat Ishbia on YouTube.

Is there any televsion coverage of Media Day?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ishbia is saying Nurkic is a better fit for the Suns than Ayton.

He feels Ayton will play well in Portland.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Expect a lot of changes all for the betterment of the Suns and the community.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score