Darren Urban Twitter Report: Calais Campbell & Cards - 5 yr contract!

JAB

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I should have included a half dozen smilies with that post. I thought I'd get some wit in response, not silly hurt feelings and witless diatribe.

Impressing you, I doubt, is high on anyone's agenda, Ducky.

O, OK right.......... :ais:

Last edited:

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Graves is doing well now, I have blamed him for not supervising the team, but must praise him for more than CC - He has walked us through the lock out, new CBA and our cupboards are full.

Totally agree with this part about our cupboards being full. I really questioned their moves the year prior to the lockout, when they signed DA and tried to blame the upcoming CBA for not filling our roster with talent. Uncertainty about the CBA was the main excuse at the time but looking back on it now you can't help but wonder where we'd be had we signed some of the dudes we all wanted 2 years ago. We were barely under the cap this year. In hindsight it looks like the FO did a great job of stacking our cupboards as you put it after the CBA and positioning us for the future.

Nobody can accuse this org of being cheap. They're doing a phenomenal job, in my opinion, of dispelling that notion. Signing Campbell and locking him up through the prime of his career is huge, just huge. Shows FA's and rooks that if you come here and do it the right way you'll be rewarded the right way.

Look at our D man: locking up dudes like Campbell--and Dockett and Adub before then--and we got PP, DWash, Acho, and we got a line of CB's trailing out the film-room just dying for a chance to play. That's a playoff caliber defense just waiting to happen my friends. A great mix of locked-up vets and young guns and a great coach in Horton. Can't underestimate a mix like that, with Adub, Dockett etc showing them how to work and fight like dogs and with DWash, PP, Acho flying around the field like madmen wanting to make plays. That's how you build championship defense. I'm so pumped about this upcoming year, even though we have a really tough schedule with all the early away games.

Cards FO and coach Whisenhunt hedged their bets with Kolb in my opinion. We're poised to have a great defense and we obviously wouldn't have won 8 games last year without them. Kolb doesn't have to be spectacular at all. Coach and FO took care of that. He only needs to be average in my opinion to win games. We've spent years now posting and arguing about how all Whisenhunt cares about is offense, passing too much, drafting offensive players, and the whole time he was molding this defense into badassery; because he knew you can't replace Warner, that it would take time. The defense allows him and the Cards to at least tread water (see 8-8) until they get a strong QB. He (Whisenhunt) isn't as single-minded as people want to simplify it, he's built us a good team for the future.

Locking up Vets has another long-term benefit for our team. They're totally invested. They don't have to be looking over their shoulder or worrying about going to another team. Their primary focus now is teaching all our young studs. They're invested and focused in a way they weren't before. Dockett and Adub, I'm sure, helped Campbell, and now Campbell and Dockett and Adub and Fitz and the rest can mentor the youngin's. It multiplies and adds up exponentially and turns this D and our entire team into a force. There's a loyalty and mentorship that gets added that you can't even calculate in dollars.

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Well, for the Grave detractors this will be proof positive that the human snail can only do one thing at a time. If he had been proactive he'd have this and all the draftees signed. Boy, will I be happy when we finally get a REAL GM.

Nah, not a shot at me at all. Not a *******, pointless post just to instigate at all.

In the immortal words of Ronald Reagan: "There you go again!"

Lighten up!

Allow me to offer a blanket apology for next dozen times I offend you personally or a third person that you feel a need to defend. Please keep count and let me know when I have to offer another profound Mea Culpa.

Other posters are noticing it too. It's like you suddenly decided just to be a random jackass, you think everyone should love it, and you never own up to it. So, I'll just say sure, I'll accept your apology for being a child, and move along.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Nah, not a shot at me at all. Not a *******, pointless post just to instigate at all.

Other posters are noticing it too. It's like you suddenly decided just to be a random jackass, you think everyone should love it, and you never own up to it. So, I'll just say sure, I'll accept your apology for being a child, and move along.

Stout. He's a Troll. Put him on ignore. Or at least do me the favor of not quoting him. I'm tired of reading his insulting posts that clutter up otherwise interesting threads. I rather read what THESMEL writes.

wilycoyote24

All Star
Reaction score
Stout. He's a Troll. Put him on ignore. Or at least do me the favor of not quoting him. I'm tired of reading his insulting posts that clutter up otherwise interesting threads. I rather read what THESMEL writes.

Guys, big picture! This thread is a reason for optimism, not bitching!

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Guys, big picture! This thread is a reason for optimism, not bitching!

No kidding. Why is that when the Cards have made a great move that almost everybody on the board is excited about somebody has to come on here and insult people?

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
No kidding. Why is that when the Cards have made a great move that almost everybody on the board is excited about somebody has to come on here and insult people?

Because 95% of us are men, and we have to be right all of the time. When we can't be right, we resort to sophomoric insults and histrionics.

Got It, DuckJerk? :D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
:sad:

The original post proved right and was not directed at you. As if the "Graves sucks" brigade needed any inciting from anyone. But given how you react to any and all perceived slights, not surprised you take umbrage. Let's be clear about my apologies in advance. They are offered because youi have all of the emotional control of a humourless 16 year old. It's a given that because it's 'all about you' you'll feel slighted for whatever silly reason down the road.

One apology done... eleven to go.

Last edited:

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Damning Thesmel with faint praise, no doubt. But at least his flights of fancy, unlike yours, don't include that football is fixed. You should open a new thread and help us understand that one.

Last edited:

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I always thought that the "feel good" Cards would get the deal done, and I'm very happy that CC will be a Card for life, as he seems like a good guy. Of course when I think ahead to the season, I realize how we finish, will depend more on the play of our QB's. Going back to my youth, I'm reminded of my visits to the Mayflower Donut shop, which had a sign on the wall, which read, "As you travel on through life brother, no matter what your goal, keep your eye upon the donut and not upon the hole".

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
How many sacks does CC have over his career? 17? Jared Allen put up 22 last year alone. Schemes and position value matters.

Calais has 21 sacks over the last 3 seasons.

I put this in another thread: Campbell and Acho and Schofield combined for 19.5 sacks. DeMarcus Ware had 19.5 and the Cards and Cowboys both had 42 for the season. Does it really matter if all the sacks are coming from one guy or if you get similar production from 2-3 guys on the same side of the defense?

Do we know if Horton is running a defense where he is trying to get as much of a pass rush from the DE's as from the OLBs? The Cards only had 6.5 sacks from Haggans and Dockett. The Steelers seem to get equal pressure from both sides of their D. Is that something the Cards need to improve on?

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I read $55M with $36M the first three years.

My guess, $15M signing bonus, and salaries of $6M, $7M, $8M, $9M, $10M. That saves another $1.7 on this years cap, which I believe we already had about $2.3M. So, $4M - enough to sign the rookies and a couple more vets (Haggans/Holliday/maybe an outside guy.)

Well done, Rod Graves.

A question for the capologists: With no 2nd round selection just how much of an impact will our rookies have on the cap? It seems to me that except for Floyd most of them wouldn't crack the top 51 and if they do it would only be for a $100,000 or so more than the guy they bumped. So do we really need much cap space to sign everyone?

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good job Cardinals....Every game you watched last year the announcers would say pay the man. CC is a playmaker which is what you need to win.

OP
OP
Bodha

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Clay Matthews had 6 sacks last season!

So that instantly makes him mediocre. Ignore his 13 sacks the year prior or the 10 before that. Guys a bum, why the heck is he still in the league? My grama could put up 6 sacks.

Jared Allen is a 260lb 4-3 D-end.

Like I said, schemes matter. 4/3 Jared Allen deserves big big money because he puts up big big numbers.

And you might take the time to check out CC's stats compared to other DE's and DT's before you question this deal.

Dont need to, like I said, again, 3/4 DEs arent expected to put up huge numbers. His numbers are comparatively better, but compared to a 4/3 DE, they dont stack up.

P.S. When BIG left AZ, way back when, he received $49M from Dallas to play guard and there are more than a few guards with contracts over 50. Is a premier guard more valuable than a premier 3-4 D-end whose emerging talents are re-defining the position?

Thats Dallas, theres no point in pointing at what they pay guys. Thats what Jerry Jones does.

and premier guards are worth paying that much to. Him specifically is questionable, but Carl Nicks getting paid this summer was worth it.

CC redefining the 34 position? Says who? Cmon now, offenses are not schemeing against CC. Hes no more of a concern than any other good Dlineman. Whether its a 34 or 43, LTs job doesnt change.

WarnerHOF

Registered
Reaction score
This guy

You must be registered for see images attach

If you don't think a player like Campbell does not deserve big money because he does not get 20 sacks than again...

You must be registered for see images attach

A elite gap penetrator who can collapse the pocket from the middle is a quarterbacks worst nightmare which is why guys like Justin Smith and Ndamukong Suh were already being paid top dollar for the similar roles they play.

Vermont Maverick

Registered
Reaction score
A question for the capologists: With no 2nd round selection just how much of an impact will our rookies have on the cap? It seems to me that except for Floyd most of them wouldn't crack the top 51 and if they do it would only be for a $100,000 or so more than the guy they bumped. So do we really need much cap space to sign everyone?

The short answer is that signing our rookies is going to add about 2.5M to our cap. They will count about 4.5M against this years cap, but replace the lowest guys who count about 2M. Thus 4.5M - 2M = 2.5M. Urban posted a link from some guy on AZCards which gives the long answer.