Darren Urban Twitter Report: Calais Campbell & Cards - 5 yr contract!

Vermont Maverick

Registered
Reaction score
A elite gap penetrator who can collapse the pocket from the middle is a quarterbacks worst nightmare which is why guys like Justin Smith and Ndamukong Suh were already being paid top dollar for the similar roles they play.

Don't get me wrong, I'm VERY happy with the Campbell signing. But Suh is paid that much because he was the second pick in the draft in the last year where there was not a rookie scale.

WarnerHOF

Registered
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I'm VERY happy with the Campbell signing. But Suh is paid that much because he was the second pick in the draft in the last year where there was not a rookie scale.

and he was the 2nd overall pick because he was terrorizing guards and centers in college. Sounds like a similar player mentioned in this thread *hint hint*.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Why are people arguing in this thread? I can't stand Graves as a GM as much as anyone but you have to give him credit here. There's absolutely nothing to complain about when you lock one of your best players long term. He didn't over pay. You can't compare CC to a player like Ware,. They play 2 different positions. It's just like Gronkowski is likely never going to be paid like a top WR. He may end up being the highest paid TE but TE's don't earn WR type money. CC is among the top 3-4 DE's in the game and was paid accordingly.

I would like to have seen the thread if CC left in free agency next year. Then you'd have some hostile arguing. Now that Campbell has re-signed, there is really nothing on the personnel front, other than some minor tweaks, that needs to be done. When is the last time that has been the case? Let's all return to the previous did we give up too much for Kevin Kolb, who should start at QB, what about Levi, or will Ryan Williams be 100% arguments :D .

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
So that instantly makes him mediocre. Ignore his 13 sacks the year prior or the 10 before that. Guys a bum, why the heck is he still in the league? My grama could put up 6 sacks.

No it means that without Cullen Jenkins, teams could scheme against him. Ergo: CC and DD will open up opportunities for both Acho and Schofield.

Like I said, schemes matter. 4/3 Jared Allen deserves big big money because he puts up big big numbers.

... and CC deserves big $$$ because aside from sacks his numbers dwarf Allen's.

Dont need to, like I said, again, 3/4 DEs arent expected to put up huge numbers. His numbers are comparatively better, but compared to a 4/3 DE, they dont stack up.

Ignorance is bliss. He was third in the League, counting all DT/DE, in tackles. First in Passes Defended, and add three blocked FG. His totals have increased year after year. .

Thats Dallas, theres no point in pointing at what they pay guys. Thats what Jerry Jones does.

and premier guards are worth paying that much to. Him specifically is questionable, but Carl Nicks getting paid this summer was worth it.

So, a premier guard is worth more than a premier 3-4 D-end... got it!.

CC redefining the 34 position? Says who? Cmon now, offenses are not schemeing against CC. Hes no more of a concern than any other good Dlineman. Whether its a 34 or 43, LTs job doesnt change.

In the post Bruce Smith era, the numbers that you refuse to consult. Check them out and compare them to any DT and DE.

P.S. 4-3 DEnds (Allen) take on LTackles. CC faces a left tackle, left guard combo on every play. If that's not scheming, what is it?.

BUMP****

Last edited:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Why are people arguing in this thread? I can't stand Graves as a GM as much as anyone but you have to give him credit here. There's absolutely nothing to complain about when you lock one of your best players long term. He didn't over pay. You can't compare CC to a player like Ware,. They play 2 different positions. It's just like Gronkowski is likely never going to be paid like a top WR. He may end up being the highest paid TE but TE's don't earn WR type money. CC is among the top 3-4 DE's in the game and was paid accordingly.

I would like to have seen the thread if CC left in free agency next year. Then you'd have some hostile arguing. Now that Campbell has re-signed, there is really nothing on the personnel front, other than some minor tweaks, that needs to be done. When is the last time that has been the case? Let's all return to the previous did we give up too much for Kevin Kolb, who should start at QB, what about Levi, or will Ryan Williams be 100% arguments :D .

We need some depth at LB. Right now that basically consists of Stewart Bradley should any of the first 4 go down. But, it is really great to look at the roster and see decent depth at every other position. Our backups are guys who would have started in 2003!

The last time this happened? 2009? Well we did have Danby on the franchise tag but no real pressing roster issues. 2006? I remember talking about how it was the perfect time to use the #1 on a QBOF because we didn't have any real holes in the roster.

And of course 1988-2004 because we didn't really have anyone on the roster worth keeping. :p

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

This is probably the best news I have heard about the Cards this year. Campbell, I think was our most valuable defensive lineman last year and one of the best in the league. May be the best pass blocker since to-tall Jones. He is a definite difference maker and shows someone in upper management has some good sense. In the old days of Bidwill Sr. this would never have happened. Kudos to who ever is responsible for this. I think we have the necessary personnel to win the division other than at QB which is an open question.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Its about time someone gave Graves credit on this.

But if CC were to went to become a FA, then everyone would specifically say his name out of his mouth......

After all these years I still do not know what kind of authority Gaves really has. Is he a real GM in the sense that other teams GM's have authority? I do not think anyone can answer that with certainty. We do know that Mr. Bidwill likes him as he has survived some terrible teams where other teams would have cut him loose. Was it his philosophy to not sign people to long term extensions before there contract was up or was it Mr. Bidwill? I think we all know the answer to that. On most teams the GM would make those type of decisions. Mr. B had his own personal philosophy on how to run a NFL team which was very different than most teams so he needed a GM who would operate under his thumb and philosophy. How much all this has changed since Mr. B Sr has faded somewhat from the picture is unknown but clearly it has changed. You can be sure Sr. is still very much in the loop to some extent as this has been his team and his life as it was his fathers.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

That's a pretty cynical way of looking at the contract. You'd have to assume then that the Cards would rather carry some $10 million in dead money in 2013 after cutting Calais than keep him through the first two years at least of the deal.

I get what PFT is looking at here, but really the best way to ascertain "guaranteed" contract money is what comes in the first two or three years of the deal. Everything after that is probably subject to change.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
That's a pretty cynical way of looking at the contract. You'd have to assume then that the Cards would rather carry some $10 million in dead money in 2013 after cutting Calais than keep him through the first two years at least of the deal.

I get what PFT is looking at here, but really the best way to ascertain "guaranteed" contract money is what comes in the first two or three years of the deal. Everything after that is probably subject to change.

Agree.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I agree that PFT's writeup is cynical but in one (and only one) sense they are correct: only $17M is "guaranteed". Guaranteed means what it means. On the other hand, they very misleadingly use the phrase "as a practical matter" to describe a situation that's not at all practical. Reporting that the contract includes $31M in "guaranteed" money is in fact quite practical, though not technically accurate.

Since there's so much spin in reporting contracts, perhaps to accurately describe them we need to say something like: "Maximum potential value of $55M over 5 years, with $31M extremely likely to be paid in the first 3 years, among which $17M is guaranteed upon signing." Cumbersome, but accurate.

...dave

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm not even sure why we're arguing about this. Fact is, regardless of #'s, if we hadn't signed him, I know I for one--and I'm sure tons of others--would be complaining about not getting him signed all year long. All year we'd be hearing about the hanging lack of a Campbell contract.

That being said, I think everyone here is deficient in contract and cap # knowledge. Ya'll do a great job with individual #'s and a superb job at total cap #'s but a completely crap job at figuring out #'s down the road even a year or two and how that impacts our team. Ya'll are terrible and pathetic at it.

There's a few people here (and I don't need to name them) exceptional at figuring out #'s for this year and even perhaps next year. But horrible, and I mean atrocious, at figuring out #'s down the line. I wouldn't expect anyone to be good at it, that's why we have a GM (whom some hate, but that's his job). It's difficult, if not impossible, to figure out a contract or cap # going beyond 2 years, almost impossible, because we have no idea what the salary cap will be (while a GM has at least some idea and has contacts who can speculate rookie figures and the like). We have no idea what the going rate for a RB or WR or a QB or LB or DE will be 3 years from now. Nobody does.

It's a win-now and a me-league and I think we should just be happy he's signed for now and see how it plays out.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
GM (whom some hate, but that's his job). It's difficult, if not impossible, to figure out a contract or cap # going beyond 2 years, almost impossible, because we have no idea what the salary cap will be (while a GM has at least some idea and has contacts who can speculate rookie figures and the like).

It isn't just the GM's job anymore. Working the cap is so difficult that teams have a guy on the payroll just to manage the salary cap for them.

Here's our guy. There's a certain symmetry to his name being Justin Casey.

http://www.azcardinals.com/team/staff/justin-casey/d76de3a6-14ac-48fa-a8ad-30533029562c

Longcolts

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone here honestly believe that barring a career ending injury Campbell is not going to be playing for the Cards 3 years down the road?