Darren Urban Twitter Report: Calais Campbell & Cards - 5 yr contract!

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I said before that we needed to get this deal done at any cost, and apprently 55 mill was that cost. I like it. It had to get done, and did.

When I said "we can replace him with someone better" I didnt mean NOW. I just meant eventually when the next Mario Williams became available. Because we are tied to CC for at least the next 3 years. What if he sucks during that period? Hes only showed 1 solid year thus far. Say Ware became available, for whatever reason, in 2 years, but we're handcuffed to CC. Thats my point.

Im not worried about the cost, the cap will raise as it always does. Good signing, had to get done, now we can focus on the season.

Oh. Gotcha.

Yeah, that makes sense.

I went at that same idea from another angle, where I think this move is going to free the Caridnals up to take BPA in the draft and not be cornered by a need.

The fact the Cardinals had the draft they did this year was hard work yes, but there was some luck too. They were able to get BPA, and take care of some gaping holes.

Right now, I don't think the roster has any gaping holes.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I made this thread genius. Yeah, I absolutely hate this deal.

I said before that we needed to get this deal done at any cost, and apprently 55 mill was that cost. I like it. It had to get done, and did.

When I said "we can replace him with someone better" I didnt mean NOW. I just meant eventually when the next Mario Williams became available. Because we are tied to CC for at least the next 3 years. What if he sucks during that period? Hes only showed 1 solid year thus far. Say Ware became available, for whatever reason, in 2 years, but we're handcuffed to CC. Thats my point.

Im not worried about the cost, the cap will raise as it always does. Good signing, had to get done, now we can focus on the season.

If you think CC has had one solid year you lose all credibility. The guy has been very good and consistent 3 years running. Arguably the best 3/4 DE in football.

You further lose credibility saying stuff like what if Mario Willams or D. Ware become available. They don't even play the same position so completely irrelevant. They are OLBs in a 3/4 FYI. Not to mention Ware is not 25 years old.

Furthermore how and the heck do you know this team will be in a position to draft the next "Mario Williams" Thats like hoping you win the lottery on a weekly basis.. About as likely to happen.

Last edited:

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh. Gotcha.

Yeah, that makes sense.

I went at that same idea from another angle, where I think this move is going to free the Caridnals up to take BPA in the draft and not be cornered by a need.

The fact the Cardinals had the draft they did this year was hard work yes, but there was some luck too. They were able to get BPA, and take care of some gaping holes.

Right now, I don't think the roster has any gaping holes.

Not one single thing about his post makes sense. :D

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hearing value of Calais Campbell deal is $55 million, about $31 guaranteed. His cap number of $10.7 mill reduced by about half.
Twitter @kentsomers

That is a nice chunk of change to free up.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Darren Urban ‏ @Cardschatter
Cards had about 2.5M of cap space couple wks ago, @kentsomers report that Campbell contract creates about $5M should put them around $7.5M.

Looks like we can be somewhat aggressive come June 1st.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
@kentsomers: Hearing value of Calais Campbell deal is $55 million, about $31 guaranteed. His cap number of $10.7 mill reduced by about half.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Rod Graves still sucks and can't handle more than one thing at a time. He's having more success because he has more successful people around him which is equaling an environment conducive to the players wanting to stay. If anyone is suggesting we are retaining our players due to Rod Graves and not the environment that now is the Arizona Cardinals IMO, you're crazy. Just say no to Rod Graves and methamphetamines neither one is any good for you or anyone else.

Back to the party that is the signing of Calais Campbell. Thank you University of Phoenix Stadium, Bidwill Junior and a coaching staff that has built a winning true football environment players want to play in.

Rod Graves is part of the positive environment, and many of the 'successful' people he is surrounded by were brought in by him. Ergo: He shares the credit with others, which began with his patient wresting of control of all decisions from Mr. Bowtie. Takes time to build trust in a family run organization and it's evident that Rod did precisely that. This was, arguably, step one in putting together a stable football operation. Mistakes have been made along the way, but the trajectory was and is clear.

P.S. I was wondering how long it would take and who would trot out the tired 'one thing at a time' slag. Congrats!

Last edited:

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Then why did you deliberately provoke a negative response with your first post on this thread? I'm actually pretty good with management right now, especially given the CC signing.

In the immortal words of Ronald Reagan: "There you go again!"

Lighten up!

Allow me to offer a blanket apology for next dozen times I offend you personally or a third person that you feel a need to defend. Please keep count and let me know when I have to offer another profound Mea Culpa.

Last edited:

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
I made this thread genius. Yeah, I absolutely hate this deal.
You made this thread because who knows you crave for attention and wanted to be the first to break the news of this magnitude to the board... does not imply you like this deal. Certainly your comments defy such feelings... just saying ;)

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
If you think CC has had one solid year you lose all credibility. The guy has been very good and consistent 3 years running. Arguably the best 3/4 DE in football.

You further lose credibility saying stuff like what if Mario Willams or D. Ware become available. They don't even play the same position so completely irrelevant. They are OLBs in a 3/4 FYI. Not to mention Ware is not 25 years old.

Furthermore how and the heck do you know this team will be in a position to draft the next "Mario Williams" Thats like hoping you win the lottery on a weekly basis.. About as likely to happen.
LOL... I didn't even pay attention to the second part of his post... LOL

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
My problem with Graves is that he's not a strong personnel man. For a GM, I want a guy that mixes good personnel evaluation with business acumen. If Rod Graves were the only guy in the draft room would he make a good pick? I don't think so. He was a miserable failure with the Bears, in which he was expected to be a personnel guru.

All the accolades that Graves gets with this team are for things I expect ANY GM to do: resign good players. Why not elevate Keim to GM, a guy who can find good players and can bring in good scouts?

IMO Graves is that guy in your office who is good at networking and certain parts of the job, but overall isn't very good at the entire job, and yet continues to get put in positions of greater responsibility.

Bodha: You're either high on crack cocaine or you haven't been watching the Cardinals very closely to say that Calais Campbell has only had one good season. This is Calais' third good season in a row. If he played LE in a 4-3 he'd put up more sacks IMO. He's a beast and not only is he a dominate DL, he's also dominate on special teams. He led all 3-4 defemsive ends in tackles and I'm pretty certain he had the most sacks too. He also led the league for 3-4 DEs in batted passes with 11.

He's a cornerstone of the defense and along with Washington, Peterson, and Schofield/Acho, he'll be here long term.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My problem with Graves is that he's not a strong personnel man. For a GM, I want a guy that mixes good personnel evaluation with business acumen. If Rod Graves were the only guy in the draft room would he make a good pick? I don't think so. He was a miserable failure with the Bears, in which he was expected to be a personnel guru.

All the accolades that Graves gets with this team are for things I expect ANY GM to do: resign good players. Why not elevate Keim to GM, a guy who can find good players and can bring in good scouts?

IMO Graves is that guy in your office who is good at networking and certain parts of the job, but overall isn't very good at the entire job, and yet continues to get put in positions of greater responsibility.

Bodha: You're either high on crack cocaine or you haven't been watching the Cardinals very closely to say that Calais Campbell has only had one good season. This is Calais' third good season in a row. If he played LE in a 4-3 he'd put up more sacks IMO. He's a beast and not only is he a dominate DL, he's also dominate on special teams. He led all 3-4 defemsive ends in tackles and I'm pretty certain he had the most sacks too. He also led the league for 3-4 DEs in batted passes with 11.

He's a cornerstone of the defense and along with Washington, Peterson, and Schofield/Acho, he'll be here long term.

agreed. CC/Washington and Acho/Peterson are incredibly good building blocks for the future of this defense.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

You think we can sign the "next Mario Williams" for 11 million a year? Or if Ware became a free agent he would command only a 5 year 55 million dollar contract? Get real, it would cost nearly DOUBLE that amount of money to sign a player of Ware or Williams caliber in unrestricted free agency.

CC has been playing well for 3 years, he is only 25 years old. He was a monster last season, if his 2012 is equal to his 2011 then he would have commanded WAY more than 11 million a year as a free agent.

If CC keeps up his level of play then this deal is very good for the Cardinals. If he continues to improve then its an absolute steal.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A couple of points made that I would like to challenge.

Not every team has the exact same FO structure or Org. Chart. While I would be very nervous if RG was our main talent evaluator that's not in his current job description. What the Cards want from a "GM" is what RG delivers.

Keim is our talent expert for college players and ???? recently hired away from the Pats is the Pro talent evaulator.

RG is not Ozzie Newsome (few are) so the Cards have a 3 headed monster instead. It appears to be working.

RG and the FO proved they can sign a lot of players in a fast and furious fashion last offseason. The label of snail is cliche and fun for many to slap up in a post but I don't think it's accurate. The CC deal took longer then many wanted but at the end of the day it was done in plenty of time and RG was dealing with the sllloooowwwweeesssttt acting agent in professional sports.

While I fully disagree with Bodha's thoughts about CC not being a core player etc. I think what he meant was.....A 3-4 DE is not typically considered a core player position and we already have given a bunch of resources to this position with DD.

Now pass rusher deluxe at the OLB is considered a premiere position and more "worthy" of the label core position. Since we already have heavily invested now in two 3-4 DE's it makes it less likely or maybe even impossible to get a Ware in FA. Especially since we have a good amount tied up in Adub which again SS is not considered by many to be a premiere position.

That's 3 core players that aren't at the typical premiere positions.

Once again I disagree with his thoughts on this in pretty much every way imaginable and now I'm going to go take a shower.....I feel dirty for having typed all this.

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After seeing what Mario Williams got (after going on the IR 2 years in a row) if we had left CC franchised and he had a 2012 equal to his 2011 then 11 million a year would seem like a bargain.

OK, OK, y'all are making strong arguments and convincing me.

My main concern was having so much money in so few players with a $120M cap.

But yeah, QB, DE, CB and OT are the money positions now. If you gotta spend, then you have to.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
A couple of points made that I would like to challenge.

Not every team has the exact same FO structure or Org. Chart. While I would be very nervous if RG was our main talent evaluator that's not in his current job description. What the Cards want from a "GM" is what RG delivers.

Keim is our talent expert for college players and ???? recently hired away from the Pats is the Pro talent evaulator.

RG is not Ozzie Newsome (few are) so the Cards have a 3 headed monster instead. It appears to be working.

RG and the FO proved they can sign a lot of players in a fast and furious fashion last offseason. The label of snail is cliche and fun for many to slap up in a post but I don't think it's accurate. The CC deal took longer then many wanted but at the end of the day it was done in plenty of time and RG was dealing with the sllloooowwwweeesssttt acting agent in professional sports.

While I fully disagree with Bodha's thoughts about CC not being a core player etc. I think what he meant was.....A 3-4 DE is not typically considered a core player position and we already have given a bunch of resources to this position with DD.

Now pass rusher deluxe at the OLB is considered a premiere position and more "worthy" of the label core position. Since we already have heavily invested now in two 3-4 DE's it makes it less likely or maybe even impossible to get a Ware in FA. Especially since we have a good amount tied up in Adub which again SS is not considered by many to be a premiere position.

That's 3 core players that aren't at the typical premiere positions.

Once again I disagree with his thoughts on this in pretty much every way imaginable and now I'm going to go take a shower.....I feel dirty for having typed all this.

Shhh... don't tell anyone this:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/arizona-cardinals/darnell-dockett/

Dockett averages less than $5 million per year in salary for the remainder of his contract. He got a $15 million roster bonus last year, and he doesn't have a Cap charge over $10 million until 2015, when he may be extended again or asked to take a pay cut. We can easily accomodate both of those deals.

It's stunning that we ran into a cap crunch this offseason when we offloaded so much money in 2011 ($15 million on Dockett and another $22 million on Fitz's first year).

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

Well that depends on whether or not you live in Arizona. They have people out there winning a Million dollars every week. :D

http://www.azcentral.com/news/artic...glendale-man-wins-powerball-lottery-abrk.html

JAB

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
P.S. I was wondering how long it would take and who would trot out the tired 'one thing at a time' slag. Congrats!

Well if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck and smells like a duck It's a duck. I agree completely and I'm just as tired of the fact that it's the truth. Don't blame me the man is a duck. I can count on one hand the times he's done more than one deal at the same time.

Besides, if you want to blame someone for bringing negativity in to this thread your the one that opened the door. So don't start stuff if you might not like the answers you could get and new would come.

Just asking for someone to say something.

The virtue of a patient approach.

So, Rod gets your vote as GM of the year, right?

If that's not fishing for negativity towards Rod Graves, I don't know what is.

PS.... I've read a lot of your stuff, you seem to like to fight. Save yourself the time because your act doesn't impress me.

Last edited:

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Shhh... don't tell anyone this:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/arizona-cardinals/darnell-dockett/

Dockett averages less than $5 million per year in salary for the remainder of his contract. He got a $15 million roster bonus last year, and he doesn't have a Cap charge over $10 million until 2015, when he may be extended again or asked to take a pay cut. We can easily accomodate both of those deals.

It's stunning that we ran into a cap crunch this offseason when we offloaded so much money in 2011 ($15 million on Dockett and another $22 million on Fitz's first year).

Thanks for the info.

It's still a good amount but then I have to remind myself how soon a huge deal is considered very reasonable a couple of years later.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
Graves is doing well now, I have blamed him for not supervising the team, but must praise him for more than CC - He has walked us through the lock out, new CBA and our cupboards are full. I believe we have the talent to compete for the NFCW title. That may seem a no brainer but this division has the greatest accumulation of draft picks in NFL history- as a result of being the worse division in history for an extended period of time.

The core on both sides of the ball is well stocked, I disagree with the playcaller but am trying to keep an open mind, Big Ben is pushing for Our pas happy offense with Haley in Pittsburg, We will see how that works out for them.

I think the pendulum swings back toward the run game, not that it left with the Steelers, Niners, Ravens, Giants, Saints in recent play offs. But the Saints ran more than they passed in their SB season, passed more and lost in 2011 to the stupid run happy Niners( They are always the stupid Niners even when they are great) Green Bay passed to a SB, but the patriots haven't won one since Dillon lead them, something to chew on.

I would rather have a 10th ranked run and 10 ranked pass game than a first ranked either. It just saves the oline, D, and special teams

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Well if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck and smells like a duck It's a duck. I agree completely and I'm just as tired of the fact that it's the truth. Don't blame me the man is a duck. I can count on one hand the times he's done more than one deal at the same time.

Besides, if you want to blame someone for bringing negativity in to this thread your the one that opened the door. So don't start stuff if you might not like the answers you could get and new would come.

Just asking for someone to say something.

If that's not fishing for negativity towards Rod Graves, I don't know what is.

PS.... I've read a lot of your stuff, you seem to like to fight. Save yourself the time because you don't impress me at all.

I should have included a half dozen smilies with that post. I thought I'd get some wit in response, not silly hurt feelings and witless diatribe.

Impressing you, I doubt, is high on anyone's agenda, Ducky.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bodha

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

55 million solid?

no

Im aware Ware isnt a DE or that Mario isnt a 34.

I dont expect to be taken verbatim. It an EXAMPLE. Elite players who garner elite money.

Only a handful of guys pull 55 mill and north money. My point was, when the next elite player became available, wed have a shot.

And it has nothing to do with position. If Eric Berry or Clay Matthews or whoever became available, theyd clearly be preferable over CC and his 7-8 sacks.

34 DEs are rare, and thats because they arent expected to put up big numbers. We could draft a 34 DE who might put up 4-5 sacks per year, but for a fraction of a fraction of what CC is making.

55 mill is too much for the 34 DE position when they arent expected to get many sacks.

How many sacks does CC have over his career? 17? Jared Allen put up 22 last year alone. Schemes and position value matters.

Thats like hoping you win the lottery on a weekly basis.. About as likely to happen.

except for the fact that it did happen

And one of the best 34 DEs in the entire league? Just almost happened if not for today.

Big players do become available.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
55 million solid?

no

Im aware Ware isnt a DE or that Mario isnt a 34.

I dont expect to be taken verbatim. It an EXAMPLE. Elite players who garner elite money.

Only a handful of guys pull 55 mill and north money. My point was, when the next elite player became available, wed have a shot.

And it has nothing to do with position. If Eric Berry or Clay Matthews or whoever became available, theyd clearly be preferable over CC and his 7-8 sacks.

34 DEs are rare, and thats because they arent expected to put up big numbers. We could draft a 34 DE who might put up 4-5 sacks per year, but for a fraction of a fraction of what CC is making.

55 mill is too much for the 34 DE position when they arent expected to get many sacks.

How many sacks does CC have over his career? 17? Jared Allen put up 22 last year alone. Schemes and position value matters.

except for the fact that it did happen

And one of the best 34 DEs in the entire league? Just almost happened if not for today.

Big players do become available.

Clay Matthews had 6 sacks last season!

Jared Allen is a 260lb 4-3 D-end.

And you might take the time to check out CC's stats compared to other DE's and DT's before you question this deal.

Campbell' 215 tackles, 155 solos, 21 sacks, 4 forced fumbles, 2 fumble recoveries, 18 passes defensed, 1 interception, 5 career blocked FG's

P.S. When BIG left AZ, way back when, he received $49M from Dallas to play guard and there are more than a few guards with contracts over 50. Is a premier guard more valuable than a premier 3-4 D-end whose emerging talents are re-defining the position?

Last edited:

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doesnt matter what kinda news happens, an arguement on ASFN is sure to take place..

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen