RM's Ridiculously Early Week 1: 53 Man Roster

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Here is a ridiculously early prediction of the final 53 guys on our roster come week 1 of the 2014 season.

Not in the mood to go out and work on my shop this morning, so I felt like doing this while having coffee and a delicious egg sandwich my wife made before she went to yoga.

1. I will pick one of my mock drafts for the player we get in this year's draft.

2. If I think the Cardinals will bring in any player ,obviously Madden video game rules apply that I will be getting whomever I want at a good price. Not too far of a stretch these days since post-draft free agents are the bargain barrel of the NFL offseason.

3. Tyrann Matheui and Alameda Ta'amu are starting the year on the PUP.

4. I am going to have some fun with this. No cop outs. I will fill all spots and justify the debatable ones best I can.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current Roster as it stands today: http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/f4/don-banks-asks-171729.html#post2528290

The mock draft I will use:
1 - Aaron Donald, DE/OLB
2 - Deone Buchanan, SS
3 - C.J. Fiedorowicz, TE
4 - Phillip Gaines, CB
5 - James Hurst, OT
6 - Caleb Lavey, ILB

QB:

- Carson Palmer
- Drew Stanton
- Ryan Lindley

It sounds like Bruce Arians has what he wants at the position. The only first round QB I like is Teddy Bridgewater. Bad pro day be damned the kid wins, but it is all a moot point. None of the QB's will be there at #20, and even if Bridgewater is there, I doubt the Cardinals take him, which of course I see as a huge mistake if the opportunity is there and they pass on him, but that is why he is a football coach of over 3 decades, and I am an electrical engineer.

I know, I know, Carson Palmer is not an elite QB, or even a "good" QB, but he is the definition of solid, and WOW what a difference last year when given just competent. is on the field for this organization. The #1 attribute I like about Palmer is his mental toughness, he is NEVER out of the game in his mind. I will never forget that when the Cardinals beat Seattle, at Seattle, Palmer had 4 INT's and came back to win the game on a ballsy throw to Micheal Floyd. I have no problem with him at the helm. It also helps he is physically tough as hell as well.

We don't know what we have in Drew Stanton, and while I am fine with him as the backup, I hope we never have to see what he can do. As for Ryan Lindley, supposedly he a master of clip board holding, and being good in the film room & meeting room. I never want to see him and his deer in headlights looks again on the field, but if the team is good with his non-playing intangibles and he is cheap, then fine, whatever, keep him.

RB:

- Andre Ellington
- Jonathan Dwyer
- Stepfan Taylor
- Ryan Williams

I think Knowshon Moreno, and Maurice Jones-Drew will be signed by the draft on other teams. The only way a veteran presence that is more skilled than Jonathan Dwyer is signed is after June 1st.

So above is our running back group. Jonathan Dwyer will replace Rashard Mendenhall and his 3.2 ypc last season. If Dwyer can hold onto the ball in clutch situations then he will be an upgrade, not to mention he is said to be a great pass blocker, which made Alfonso Smith expendable, that's a two-fer. I am a fan of Stepfan Taylor and all the skills he brings to the table. Taylor can play fullback, can pass block, can be short yardage, and can run the ball with power.....he just can't break off 10+ yard runs. Andre Ellington is going to be "the man" in the backfield this year. It would be ridiculous in today's NFL to go with the 25 to 30 runs a game between the tackles with Ellington. But, between short passes, screens, sweeps, and playing out of the slot position as a wide receiver, he will make plays.

Finally, Ryan "The Ghost" Williams is getting his last chance, but this time as a 4th running back. Nice to see 3 out of our 4 runnings backs healthy instead of the other way around. I think the Cardinals are going to be hard pressed to find anything with better potential to put at the 4th running back spot for the rest of the offseason. The wildcard I see happening, is the Cardinals may find a better option, cut Williams, gain about $1 million in cap space, and use it to sign a running back, but I find that unlikely.

WR:

- Larry Fitzgerald
- Michael Floyd
- Ted Ginn, Jr.
- Jaron Brown
- Teddy Williams

Larry Fitzgerald will have a very good year this season. If teams are going to key on Fitzgerald this year, the Cardinals are going to hurt them for it. Which eventually will open up things for Fitzgerald. What I want, and what I think we are going to get is a Fitzgerald making some clutch catches at clutch times. I expect Michael Floyd to continue this productivity, and constantly reminding me how people should embrace being wrong when it is beneficial to be wrong, not right by any means necessary. Didn't think Floyd would amount to anything, and enjoy watching him make me eat my words.

Ted Ginn, Jr. was a huge signing for the Cardinals. When you look at the role Ginn will pay in this offense, length of contract, and the money handed out this signing was a homerun. The only player I liked better than Ginn for this situation was Jacoby Jones, and that is out of all opportunities this offseason, which includes the draft, and trades. Ginn has elite speed, and his hands are about as good as Andre Roberts. If you don't respect Ginn's speed, he is going to hurt you. Plus I think he is better all around receiver then a DeShaun Jackson, or Jacoby Jones. Again, a perfect signing if you ask me.

Jaron Brown, the forgotten man. I really like Jaron Brown. Why? Cause he is everything that Early Doucet, Andre Roberts, or Jeremy Urban never were. He makes the clutch catches when he is asked to. Jaron Brown sees the field maybe 5 times a game, but seems to always be able to make the plays asked of him. What else do you want out of your 4th receiver ? Jaron Brown is an example of Steve Keim being with the times and finding value in the UDFA signing period at WR, and getting rid of the Rod Graves, out dated thinking of spending 2nd round picks, and 3rd round picks on wide receivers whose potential is no better than UDFA.

Speed, speed, speed, speed. Why Teddy Williams ? Because you need a backup for Ted Ginn, Jr. Look how much effort was put into bringing speed into Arizona last season. There was a lot of roster turnover to get speed incorporated into the roster last season. Teddy Williams isn't the best WR, but he is extremely fast, and can play gunner on special teams. Furthermore, one would think he has a bit of an advantage to work with the speed coach the Cardinals brought in. Plus lets not forget that Bruce Arians has zero issue with putting Patrick Peterson out there at wide receiver, so I would believe before Williams or whomever the 5th receiver will be would see the field, Peterson would be sent out there.

TE:

- Rob Housler
- John Carlson
- C.J. Fiedorowicz
- Jake Ballard

Rob Housler is one lucky guy, but we will see how long that luck stands up for. He can be cut at anytime and the Cardinals will gain about 1.5mil in cap room. Housler has yet to show any consistency with his play. Yet, every year he is brought back. He is what he is, and this is his last year in the desert, I don't see him "getting it". But, he makes the roster again this year because the position and depth at the position is lacking.

We will see what John Carlson has to offer, and you can bet there will be at least one TE on the practice squad as insurance for his past concussion issue arising again. A high draft pick that has never lived up to his status, and all I remember of him is his reception on a fake punt against the Cardinals a few years ago. Supposedly, he has pretty good hands, and decent speed, so he is some competition for Rob Housler. I can guarantee the Cardinals wanted to get better at TE this year, but the focus on the LT position pushed this back a year, and Carlson is a good roll of the dice signing.

C.J. Fiedorowicz. First drafted player on my roster. 6'6", 265lbs, runs around a 4.7, decent hands, good blocker. What more can the Cardinals ask for ? The Cardinals want to run two tight end sets, so the "2nd TE" on the field is pretty important. Fiedorowicz, fits the role perfectly, IMO. He even has the potential to pass Housler and other players be the #1 TE on the field. He is not a glorified WR, he is a tight end.

This 4th tight end position is tough. The Cardinals have a lot of tight ends on the roster, and I expect at least two or three more will be signed as UDFA. That is a lot of competition. But, I throw my hat in with Jake "Big Game" Ballard. You need a clutch catch by a no name on the roster ? But in Ballard. He has struggled with injury, and may be not be a better blocker than our departed and beloved Jim Dray :D but I think he will beat out the pack and be a solid option at the tight end position.

OL:

LT: Jared Veldheer
LG: Jonathan Cooper
OC: Lyle Sendlein
RG: Earl Watford
RT: Eric Winston

OT: Bradley Sowell
OT: James Hurst
OG: Paul Fanaika
OG: Ted Larson

Lyle Sendlein will be the last remaining offensive lineman from the Russ Grimm era, and to be fair to Sendlein, he was brought in by Denny Green anyway. Between Denny Green, and Russ Grimm what a mess these guys made of this group. I have nothing against, Bobby Massie, or Nate Potter or anyone else from that time, even Levi Brown, whose suckatude was allowed to fester only by the ignorance of the last regime.

.....on to a new day.

Jared Veldheer will solidify the left tackle position. He was 1st day of free agency acquisition, so that means we over paid for him, but that should not be surprising. Yes, the Cardinals overpaid, but if you look at it from the perspective of what is the norm in the early parts of free agency, we got the right player for the right price. I warn all those who are thinking we signed Walter Jones, to temper that enthusiasm. Veldheer can play much better than what we fans have seen over the years, but Veldheer is not All-Pro talent. That being said, I am excited about this move. He will hold down the left tackle spot, and be a competent left tackle that will allow our offense to conducts its business on a NFL level without having to pair things back because of lack of talent at a crucial position.

Anyone who keyed in on Jonathan Cooper like I did last offseason will see that this guy is special. I won't even write about it, just watch, and enjoy, the guy is force. A huge upgrade at the left guard position.

Lyle Sendlein. Not hating on the guy this year. For the first time in his career I saw the play of Sendlein improve. Last year was his best year, and I would say the coaching has helped him more than anyone on this team. Last offseason, and this offseason showed a glaring fact, that the center position is starting to have a void of talent league wide, and Sendlein is starting (by the process of subtraction) to be, dare I say it, one of the better centers in the league.

At right guard I am drinking the koolaid. :koolaid: Earl Watford is going to start at right guard. He will beat our Paul Fanaika, and will play right guard, giving the Cardinals two very athletic guards that can pull all over the field. I personally tip my hat to Paul Fanaika who has been roasted by these "new aged stats" that I have stopped putting much stock in. Fanaika came, literally, out of no where and did a solid job at RG. He is a very big body, and very strong, just has concrete in his shoes. Thus I think Earl Watford gets every chance to make his case for right guard, and I am betting on that he takes advantage of it.

I see Eric Winston coming back to play for the Cardinals and signing a 3 year deal after June 1st. Congrats to Winston whom was, thankfully very quiet, at least publicly, in the Cardinals locker room. He wasn't a distraction, and as the line gelled he got better as the year went on. My biggest issue with Winston is technique. How can a guy play in the league for so long and have such bad technique sometimes. He lunges WAY, WAY too much. He has to move his feet better. Also, I think Winston is a GREAT, GREAT, GREAT choice for the head of the NFLPA. He can talk, and he is blunt. I think that is exactly what is needed for the NFLPA.

Now on to the depth. Bobby Massie gets traded after Eric Winston signs, unless injuries dictate otherwise. I don't know what the problem with Massie is but he is not going to be kept over Bradley Sowell whom can play both RT and LT, and be at least serviceable. Some team will need a right tackle and Massie will get us maybe a 4th at best for the 2015 draft. Ted Larson was an upgrade to Mike Gibson. Larson is more of a center, but can play guard, and has started in this league in the past. I think signing Larson is going to pay off for the Cardinals at some point this year. I always nervous that the game day backup for center was Daryn Colledge. Now there is a game day backup center, and back up guard who has experience at both positions. Paul Fanaika will be brought back for insurance reasons, and least we forget Fanaika played as a right tackle up till his time with the Cardinals last season. He is going to have to fight for his roster spot, I guarantee that, but his versatility, and his size will have him on the roster, but barely.

James Hurst, when it comes to James Hurst this is refreshing. The Cardinals have a starting offensive line in my opinion. Whether it be Bobby Massie and Paul Fanaika on the right side or Earl Watford and Eric Winston on the right side they have the makings of 5 NFL quality offensive linemen. Ridiculous it took this long but it is what it is. James Hurst is a very good OT prospect. He played LT in college, but could play right tackle in the pros. He broke his leg last season in college so his stock is down. But, you know what, the Cardinals have the ability to draft him in the later rounds, stick him on the inactive list for the year, and see if he can be the guy to replace Winston, or Massie in future years. He has great size, and his skill level is good enough to potentially be a starter in the NFL, and would be a great value pick in the 5th round.

Defensive Front Five:

NT: Dan Williams
DE: Darnell Dockett
DE: Calais Campbell
OLB: John Abraham
OLB: Matt Shaughnessey

DE: Aarond Donald
DE: Frostee Rucker
DE: Dan Giordano
OLB: Sam Acho
OLB: Alex Okafor

I am done with nomenclature when talking about NFL defenses. You have the front end, your linebackers (not counting 3-4 outside linebackers, rush linebackers or what have you)and the back end (secondary) these days.

That is your starting front five. Why mess with what was so effective last year ? Dan Williams was a stud last season, and when Alameda Ta'amu comes off the PUP in the middle of the year they will be back to being the "Thunder and Lightning" nose tackle combo, LOL! Williams has amazing athletic ability to go with his power. He is special player, IMO, and has quietly become a real asset for this team.

Darnell Dockett is starting to show his age, but still has the quickness that makes him effective, and has started to show some leadership ability in the fact that he does what is asked of him on defense.

Calais Campbell has become the monster we all thought he could be. Last year he was dominant. A force against the run, a force against the pass, and just wreaked havoc.

John Abraham is ridiculous. His problem at the beginning of the year was completely mental. The minute his confidence got to where it should have been since day 1, we all saw the effects. I don't care about age, size, reputation, etc., etc. A pass rusher needs to get to the QB, and Abraham does that, consistently.

Matt Shaughnessey. The straw that stirs the drink. The security blanket that allows the dogs to got get the rabbit without worry about it getting passed them. Throw stats out the window. He is a rock against the run, he plays with superior discipline to ensure he is not out of position. He is a great tackler, has great power for a OLBer, can cover players when asked in the passing game, makes plays here and there. He is the "The Dudes Rug" he really ties the defense together.

Aaron Donald. Call him a defensive end, call him a defensive tackle, call him an outside linebacker. I do not care. I call him a hell of a football player. He has the size, the athletic ability and the skill to be everything that Matt Shaughnessey brings to the table, but with much better ability at rushing the passer. You can line Donald up at OLBer in a 3-4, defensive end in a 3-4 or defensive end in a nickel package (i.e. a 4-2 front). If Donald is there at #20 the Cardinals take him. At worst the guy can be a versatile player in the defense at multiple spots, and best he is the pass rusher of the future for the team.

I really liked what Frostee Rucker did for this team last year. Nothing flashing but a good veteran presence that played his role perfectly. I think his shenanigans are a thing of the past, and he is become a good lead, solid depth guy, and the Cardinals are going to need him to rotate with Dan Williams until Alameda Ta'amu is ready to come back.

Dan Giordano. Who? We signed him as a UDFA last year, and he went on a special PUP/IR list. Savvy move by the Cardinals in my opinion. Giordano has the ability to replace what Ronald Talley gave the Cardinals for a few years. A cheap, depth guy to play the DE position. Giordano is a "high motor" guy that is all power. I don't think he could be effective in the NFL as a OLBer but I do think he can put weight on (if he has not already) and play the DE position. I think he will be a dark horse to get on the 53, but in the end does make the roster.....at least till Alameda Ta'amu comes back.

Sam Acho is the Bobby Massie of the defensive side of the ball. There is no way he plays ahead of John Abraham, and he is not as good a player as Shaughnessey. So, where does he fit ? He is right on the bubble if you ask me. He could be cut with no cap penalty, and free up almost 1.5 mil against the cap. Acho is a solid OLBer, and started for this club for two years. It was a real blow to his career when he was hurt early last season. Abraham and Shaughnessey outplayed him last season, IMO, and youth will always be served in the NFL. Not to mention, I guarantee the Titans would love to have him. That all being said ? I personally like Acho, and for 1.5mil I think he is great depth to have at the position. He makes plays from time to time, and is essentially on a prove it contract. So, I see him being great depth for this team in 2014.

Alex Okafor was drafted last year by the Cardinals and was hurt early in the season. I really don't think Okafor was going to play too much ahead of Abraham and Shaughnessey, so I don't think he "lost" a year. Personally, I think a year of learning the OLBer position, and getting in NFL shape will do him some good. He has great hands, and I think that will allow him to find a role this year. I look for him to possibly pass Acho on the depth chart this season.

Linebackers:

- Daryl Washington
- Kevin Minter
- Lorenzo Alexander
- Caleb Lavey

Losing Karlos Dansby hurts the defense. Dansby was all-world last season, but he seems to only be able to play at that level dressed in red. Good luck to him as a Brown. Kevin Minter is going to play next to Daryl Washington this seasn, and thank goodness for it. The ridiculous statement that if Kevin Minter was any good, AS A ROOKIE, he should have beat out Karlos Dansby.....that is just stupid. Sorry, to be curt, but it is a stupid statement when 95% of the linebackers alive today couldn't beat out Dansby last season.

Kevin Minter is a big hitter, who was the leader on the LSU defense when he was in college. He has good speed, good strength, and should be a force against the run. He is NOT going to be able to cover players like Dansby, and will have to play a role, and not be an every down player. Yet, I expect him to play well, and win over fans with big hits, and forced fumbles.

Daryl Washington is a scary, scary athlete. He is just so fast, so quick, and so gifted. To be honest the only thing he could improve is his head, and his focus as a football player. Hopefully this very public problem he has had, will wake him the hell up, and get him focus on the field. Dare I say, he could even be better in 2014. One hopes his legal issue don't give him a double dose of suspensions this year, and if there is a suspension, one would hope it is not 8 games....which is very possible. I for one, am happy he is back. Here is to him leaving his past in the past, and getting back to football.

The Cardinals have zero depth at inside linebacker. NONE. Yet, fate is a crazy thing. I feel bad for Lorenzo Alexander, who finally had a chance to start as a NFL player, got hurt early and never go back on the field. What is also scary ? Straight from Bruce Arians' mouth, is his recovery is not going well. But, there is still time between now and training camp. Arians also alluded to the fact Alexander can play ILBer need be. Alexander made a living as a special teams ace, so he is going back to what he knows. He is not beating out Abraham, Shaughnessey, Acho, or Okafor at OLBer, but there is a wide open spot on the roster at inside linebacker. He can be the depth here, and focus on special teams.

Caleb Lavey, my 6th round pick. Why Caleb Lavey ? Easy, he is a low round draft pick. Played for Oklahoma St. and was a very, very good coverage linebacker. Has decent speed, 4.7 - 40yd dash, and decent size at 6'2" 240lbs. More importantly he would fill a role for the Cardinals with his coverage ability. Alexander, and Minter would be lacking in coverage ability and Lavey could come in to fill that role, and will good speed he can also play special teams. For a 6th round pick, what more do you want ?

Secondary:

CB: Patrick Peterson
CB: Antonio Cromartie
FS: Rashad Johnson
SS: Tony Jefferson

NB: Jerraud Powers
CB: Phillip Gaines
CB: Justin Bethel
FS: Curtis Taylor
SS: Deone Buchanan

I hope teams keep throwing at Patrick Peterson. I think he is the best cornerback in the league. He plays the top receiver for every team and follows them all over the field. Then people question why teams throw at him.....uh, because he covers the team's best wide receiver, and teams want to throw to their best wide receiver. So, what ever his "stats" say, just always realize his stats are against the best receivers in the league, every play, every time.

I am not a fan of Antonio Cromartie, but if he plays to his potential....WOW what a one, two combo at cornerback. Not to mention both our cornerbacks are big, tall, fast, strong and athletic. Playing man to man press coverage should benefit not only Cromartie but Peterson as well. Their size and skill are going to make things difficult for teams in 2014 if all goes well.

With Tyrann Matheui out till midseason (the Cardinals would have to be idiots not to put him on the PUP for the 1st part of the season no matter how tenacious his rehab is). Rashad Johnson turns out to be a great signing last season because he has played a lot and is very solid at safety. He has really been an asset to the point that his depth allows the Cardinals to not be totally screwed at this position going into next season. He will play free safety as well as he always had until Matheui comes back.

At strong safety I would assume Tony Jefferson has to be the guy pencilled in to start. How many plays do you have to make as an UDFA, rookie to solidify that you can play in the NFL ? I have zero issue with Jefferson going into 2014 as the starting SS for the Caridnals. Do the Cardinals sign a veteran after June 1st ? A Ryan Clark, or Michael Huff ? Would that type of player be a better option than Jefferson ? I don't know, but what I do know is that I have no problem with Jefferson playing SS for the Cardinals next season.

Jerraud Powers has been trashed on this board a little to much for my liking. I think he played very well for this team last season, and with as much man to man as the Cardinals played, I feel he held up really well to the pressure and situation he was put in. He could start on a lot of teams as a #2 cornerback in 2014, but he is going to be the Cardinals nickel back, along with whatever the heck Tyrann Matheui is going to play in passing situations. Powers can make plays, can tackle, can play zone, can play man, and can hold his own against good competition. Making the Cardinals 1,2,3 at cornerback rival any in the league.

Phillip Gaines is a very raw player coming out in this year's draft, and again, much like James Hurst, the Cardinals have the opportunity to draft a low rounder and let him develop. Its all mental for Gaines coming out of college, and could be groomed to play in Cromartie's role. Gaines is 6'0" and 190lbs giving him pretty good size, his 4.4 speed is all you can ask for physically from a cornerback. He can contribute in special teams right away, and learn the position. Would be great value to get in the 4th round.

Justin Bethel, is one of my favorite players. I hope he can continue to get better at the cornerback/free safety position, but really, who cares ? His value is on special teams whether it be blocking kicks or making tackles. Words don't need to be typed about Bethel, his play over the years has said everything that needs to be said.

Deone Buchanan is this year's Alex Okafor for me. For the sake of mixing it up on my mock drafts, I only have him in one, but I could have easily just put him as my second round pick in every mock I have. The only thing Buchanan is lacking in is size. 6'1" and 211 lbs is on the small side for a strong safety in the NFL, but whatever, the guy hits like a ton a bricks and is quick of the snap and unlike Yeremiah Bell he can cover players in the passing game, but I temper that by saying he is not GREAT in coverage but better than Bell. He is just a good all around safety that can lay the wood and coverage players in the passing game. Much like Minter last year, many could frown upon taking a player in the 2nd round that is more of a quasi-role player, but it is role that is a big need for the Cardinals thus there is great value for the Cardinals in getting Buchanan.

Curtis Taylor is going to hold down Matheui's roster spot until he comes back mid-season. Taylor is a solid band-aid safety with good size. But, he is not going to be on the roster once Matheui is healthy. He will play special teams and be an emergency safety if things get bad health wise at the position.

Special Teams:

K: Jay Feely
P: Dave Zastudil
LS: Mike Leach

Mike Leach. Who ? Yep. Good job.

Jay Feely is going to win the job again this year, and maybe next year if all goes well the Cardinals can put some more attention to this position next season. Meh. Is what he is. Hopefully he is more clutch this season.

Dave Zastudil....just keep doing what you have been doing Dave, and that is a very good job punting the ball.

PUP List:

- Tyrann Matheui
- Alameda Ta'amu

Tyrann Matheui has all the potential in the world to be the best player on the Cardinals defense. He is the best tackler on the team already, he is one of the better cover guys on the team and is only a rookie, and once he reacts more than he thinks he will be, dare I say, even better when he comes back from injury. That being said, the Cardinals HAVE TO BE PATIENT, with his rehab. He completely blew out his knee at the end of last season. There is just no sense in rushing a player like him back. Personally, I do not care if I don't see him at all in 2014. Don't risk a career for a few games. So the Cardinals need to be tenaciously patient.

Alameda Ta'amu, I think the Cardinals dropped the ball here. He was an ERFA for the Cardinals, and to be honest, I think they should have signed him for 4 years to a bargain contract. I really cannot explain what I saw out of this guy last year. I had no idea who he was, just knew he was a practice squad/ 53rd player on the roster for the Steelers. That he has some off the field troubles as well. Didn't pay attention to him much on the field at first, but when I did, holy moly. Power, pure power. Like a Larry Allen on defense. He cannot be moved, and while he has almost zero side to side movement once he gets going, his forward rush has yet to be stopped from what I saw. Double teams, Triple teams he just pushes the pile, no matter the size, back. He is like a sumo wrestler that can play football.

There it is for now, my "cards" are on the table.

Last edited:

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Great work rugby.
I jur would prefer Bitonio in round 3 instead of Fiedorowicz
A wr in round 5
A rb in round 6
I think kenny demens has some chance being in the 53

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Other than that I think Massie sticks, Tally is re-signed and that Demens will be one of the backup ILB's, I really like your take on all this. I particularly agree with you on Jefferson at SS. He's instinctive and hits.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good read.

I like the way you put the roster together.

I still think they FO has some surprising moves to come which will affect the roster.

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Sendelein was a UDF in 2007, not a Green player.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Nice writeup RM, enjoyed reading it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Vermont Maverick

Registered
Reaction score
Alameda Ta'amu...Didn't pay attention to him much on the field at first, but when I did, holy moly. Power, pure power. Like a Larry Allen on defense.

Really great read, Rugby. Especially this. For some reason this one made me chuckle, and paints a perfect picture. Love the analogy.

I also like your take on Massie, who will be starting or off the roster. There's no in between. I don't think we would get a 4th for him. Depending on who/when we pick in the draft, I could see us offering him for an extra 6 or 7 this year, or to move up a few picks. Timing would be important. Tennessee? Whiz?

On that topic, I would not be surprised to see OT Zack Martin be our pick. It seems to be consensus on this board that we go defense, but Martin would be about right at 20 value-wise, and the biggest need if Arians etc are not content with Massie (which I think they are not). Most mocks I see project Martin to Miami, but is Miami really going to take another OT named Martin? There's got to be some stigma there.

I really like Tony Jefferson. I want to believe that he can start at SS for us. I really do. But I'm not sure that I do.

You are an Electrical Engineer? I am a Civil Engineer. Engineers are smart :D (and usually painstakingly thoughful). Now get back to work.

Vermont Maverick

Registered
Reaction score
Caleb Lavey, my 6th round pick. For a 6th round pick, what more do you want ?

Well, Bethel and Ellington come to mind... :D

Also, for some reason, I feel like C.J Fedorowitz is already on this team. I think he is the most sure-fire mocked third round pick in the history of the NFL draft.

Last edited:

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Really great read, Rugby. Especially this. For some reason this one made me chuckle, and paints a perfect picture. Love the analogy.

I also like your take on Massie, who will be starting or off the roster. There's no in between. I don't think we would get a 4th for him. Depending on who/when we pick in the draft, I could see us offering him for an extra 6 or 7 this year, or to move up a few picks. Timing would be important. Tennessee? Whiz?

On that topic, I would not be surprised to see OT Zack Martin be our pick. It seems to be consensus on this board that we go defense, but Martin would be about right at 20 value-wise, and the biggest need if Arians etc are not content with Massie (which I think they are not). Most mocks I see project Martin to Miami, but is Miami really going to take another OT named Martin? There's got to be some stigma there.

I really like Tony Jefferson. I want to believe that he can start at SS for us. I really do. But I'm not sure that I do.

You are an Electrical Engineer? I am a Civil Engineer. Engineers are smart :D (and usually painstakingly thoughful). Now get back to work.

Didn't Whis get a degree in engineering... that means you guys can not identify a QB lol

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While Mendenhall was not a world beater by any means, personally I didn't think he was as bad as he was sometimes made out to be. I hope that Dwyer is at least as serviceable or there may be a problem at RB. We all hope Ellington continues to be as good or better than last year, but it would be a shame, IMO, to have to rely on him more than would otherwise be necessary.

Really appreciate all the work you put into this, Rugby. Thanks.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
While Mendenhall was not a world beater by any means, personally I didn't think he was as bad as he was sometimes made out to be. I hope that Dwyer is at least as serviceable or there may be a problem at RB. We all hope Ellington continues to be as good or better than last year, but it would be a shame, IMO, to have to rely on him more than would otherwise be necessary.

Really appreciate all the work you put into this, Rugby. Thanks.

I agree with this and go further to say we need a RB to take alot of the carries Mendenhall had. If the Steelers didn't trust Dwyer with more carries why should we.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

But, the most painfully unfunny people on any University campus... ;)

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with this and go further to say we need a RB to take alot of the carries Mendenhall had. If the Steelers didn't trust Dwyer with more carries why should we.

I was going to go back and edit my post to say that Dwyer needs to be better than Mendenhall rather than just serviceable. I, like you, am skeptical.

My dad was a civil engineer, but I thankfully, am not.

Last edited:

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Aaron Donald. Call him a defensive end, call him a defensive tackle, call him an outside linebacker. I do not care. I call him a hell of a football player. He has the size, the athletic ability and the skill to be everything that Matt Shaughnessey brings to the table, but with much better ability at rushing the passer. You can line Donald up at OLBer in a 3-4, defensive end in a 3-4 or defensive end in a nickel package (i.e. a 4-2 front). If Donald is there at #20 the Cardinals take him. At worst the guy can be a versatile player in the defense at multiple spots, and best he is the pass rusher of the future for the team.

If he's available and not the pick, the board might blow up. :D Even as Keim is saying we need more length up front. Personally I think he'd start in a year at DE or DT. I know many like dumpster Dan but he's limited somewhat. We need a penetrator besides Washington up the gut.

Otherwise groom him for Docketts spot. Until then get him in there (OLB or DT) on passing downs.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If he's available and not the pick, the board might blow up. :D Even as Keim is saying we need more length up front. Personally I think he'd start in a year at DE or DT. I know many like dumpster Dan but he's limited somewhat. We need a penetrator besides Washington up the gut.

Otherwise groom him for Docketts spot. Until then get him in there (OLB or DT) on passing downs.

He can't step in for the Dumpster on running downs, but he could sub for Dockett who often lines up over centre on passing downs in place Dan.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
green had leckey and hodel

And some goofball from Ohio State. I don't know why the Cards waste draft picks on Ohio State players. They always bomb. Comes from not playing any real competition in college. :p

seesred

Reaction score
Great read. You put a lot of time and thought with combing the draft with the players on the team already. I hope Winston is resigned. That does solidify the line. It also should allow Palmer that extra second to find open recievers, backs and Tight ends. Thanks for your insight.

GBR