Dallas @ Suns Game 1 (R2) Monday 5-2-2022, 7 PM

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I remember that series. that was him pre-knee surgery so Duncan could not handle him. That was also when Joe Johnson got hurt in the prior series vs. Dallas if I recall. I do think injuries and suspensions kept that Suns team from a championship.
Yeah it's one of several times when injuries and suspensions probably came between us and a title. I don't usually make too much of it though because let's face it, more than a few teams have overcome similar obstacles on their way to a title.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yeah it's one of several times when injuries and suspensions probably came between us and a title. I don't usually make too much of it though because let's face it, more than a few teams have overcome similar obstacles on their way to a title.
And many teams have similarly failed because of such hurdles. It’s all just part of the game. They suck, but they are what they are.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
that's true, Dallas' title run in 2011 they had a lot of injuries including losing Caron Butler for the year, who at that time was their second leading scorer behind Dirk and I think the Mavs record was something like 25-6 when Butler went down. Dirk also missed several regular season games after that and it kind of kept them flying under the radar. It's all about how you play in the playoffs once you get there. In a weird way that team reminded me of the 2006 Miami team, a team full of vets that just weren't going to be denied in the playoffs.

I still think that the 06 injury to Amare is really what hurt them the most. They had a squad that was on fire before he went down. and they still played very well without him.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And many teams have similarly failed because of such hurdles. It’s all just part of the game. They suck, but they are what they are.
Oh sure. There's no doubt that luck plays an incredible role in winning a championship and we aren't the only team to go down that way. But I think it's also true that some organizations have done a much better job putting themselves in a position to survive misfortune.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
that's true, Dallas' title run in 2011 they had a lot of injuries including losing Caron Butler for the year, who at that time was their second leading scorer behind Dirk and I think the Mavs record was something like 25-6 when Butler went down. Dirk also missed several regular season games after that and it kind of kept them flying under the radar. It's all about how you play in the playoffs once you get there. In a weird way that team reminded me of the 2006 Miami team, a team full of vets that just weren't going to be denied in the playoffs.

I still think that the 06 injury to Amare is really what hurt them the most. They had a squad that was on fire before he went down. and they still played very well without him.
The Amare injury definitely cost a title in 06’. The Joe Johnson injury hurt but San Antonio was just better that year.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Amare injury definitely cost a title in 06’. The Joe Johnson injury hurt but San Antonio was just better that year.
Yup. We were just too young and inexperienced to win that first year and played zero D. No way that team was beating the Spurs at the peak of their powers.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave