Could Buckner take over as DC?

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Buckner is the only coach on the D that is respected by players and is known for getting something out of his guys. I know Wade Phillips is being thrown around, but what about letting Buckner have a shot with this D from the Bye week on?

Could it get any worse?

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
In a non-Covid season I might make a change, but this season (for the league) is hanging by a thread. Games getting postponed, MVP candidates getting injured, and the potential for a complete shutdown make this whole operation a “Hail Mary” in 2020. It’s like the NBA lockout season when the Spurs won it all. Just get it over with and crown someone.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
You do not wait. I thought at the beginning of the season this was an average team and not a playoff team. Maybe I am too damn old school in not expecting much after a 5 win season, but change the DC now. Everyday waiting to do the inevitable of firing Vance Joseph is pure lunacy. If we do a an about face now with the DC, we might have a defense which can allow this team to sneak into the playoffs during the home stretch. I do not know if it's Buckner or rather a guy like Horton if he and the franchise can get along

Last edited:

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Right now Keim is sweet talking Bidwill into hiring another head coach to "fix" Kyler in 2021. Odds? Right now I would say 60/40 since it is 2020.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
Right now Keim is sweet talking Bidwill into hiring another head coach to "fix" Kyler in 2021. Odds? Right now I would say 60/40 since it is 2020.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Uh, I would would wager Keim is keeping as far away as he can from Micheal right now as Vance Joseph is starring at his phone

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Buckner is the only coach on the D that is respected by players and is known for getting something out of his guys. I know Wade Phillips is being thrown around, but what about letting Buckner have a shot with this D from the Bye week on?

Could it get any worse?
Wade phillips.

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You do not wait. I thought at the beginning of the season this was an average team and not a playoff team. Maybe I am to damn old school in not expecting much after a 5 win season, but change the DC now. Everyday waiting to do the inevitable of firing Vance Joseph is pure lunacy. If we do a an about face now with the DC, we might have a defense which can allow this team to sneak into the playoffs during the home stretch. I do not know if it's Buckner or rather a guy like Horton if he and the franchise can get along
I will say this much, if our defense gets lit up by the freaking Jets & guys missing assignments & tackles left & right, VJ better be fired at the airport just like Lane Kiffen was.

OP
OP
A

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Buckner is a respected NFL level coach. Many would argue he is one of the best D-Line coaches in the game.

Why not give him a shot for the rest of the season. You can always look outside the organization in the offseason.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You do not wait. I thought at the beginning of the season this was an average team and not a playoff team. Maybe I am too damn old school in not expecting much after a 5 win season, but change the DC now. Everyday waiting to do the inevitable of firing Vance Joseph is pure lunacy. If we do a an about face now with the DC, we might have a defense which can allow this team to sneak into the playoffs during the home stretch. I do not know if it's Buckner or rather a guy like Horton if he and the franchise can get along

Is Horton even alive???

Reaction score
Buckner is a respected NFL level coach. Many would argue he is one of the best D-Line coaches in the game.

Why not give him a shot for the rest of the season. You can always look outside the organization in the offseason.

You don't change DC's mid season. Especially for one that's never done it before.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
For Christ's sake, our D is fine when healthy. No problem there whatsoever. Not the best, but better than most.

OP
OP
A

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You don't change DC's mid season. Especially for one that's never done it before.

I completely disagree. You don't waste 12 more games on a guy you know you are going to replace.

Vance has done a bad job here, plain and simple. Maybe he has a massive turnaround...but I doubt it. I give him until the bye week. If things aren't night and day different I go with Buckner. Maybe he will get our guys to play with some swagger and realize they are better than they are putting out there.

OP
OP
A

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
For Christ's sake, our D is fine when healthy. No problem there whatsoever. Not the best, but better than most.

Not better than most, that would imply we are in the top 1/2 of the league. Through Vances 20 games here we are one of, if not THE, worst defense in the NFL

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
I completely disagree. You don't waste 12 more games on a guy you know you are going to replace.

Vance has done a bad job here, plain and simple. Maybe he has a massive turnaround...but I doubt it. I give him until the bye week. If things aren't night and day different I go with Buckner. Maybe he will get our guys to play with some swagger and realize they are better than they are putting out there.

All and fine but 'swagger' or 'swag' or whatever you want to call that stupid slang for confidence won't do a damn thing towards winnings games. It's called a defensive scheme where players are able to react and not overthink. It's called players practicing proper technique they started learning since Pop Warner football. I think Vance Joseph calls complex schemes, at least for him, but then does not communicate why he does them only because he sees them work for other coaches and then off course he cannot adjust later for what he did not truly understand in the first place
Then there is Hicks talking in his presser. He starts talking about guys trying to do too much, not being responsible. Of course the first thing that comes to my mind is guys freelancing and a interviewer hits him with that exact same thought and Hicks backs off and gets generic

OP
OP
A

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
All and fine but 'swagger' or 'swag' or whatever you want to call that stupid slang for confidence won't do a damn thing towards winnings games. It's called a defensive scheme where players are able to react and not overthink. It's called players practicing proper technique they started learning since Pop Warner football. I think Vance Joseph calls complex schemes, at least for him, but then does not communicate why he does them only because he sees them work for other coaches and then off course he cannot adjust later for what he did not truly understand in the first place
Then there is Hicks talking in his presser. He starts talking about guys trying to do too much, not being responsible. Of course the first thing that comes to my mind is guys freelancing and a interviewer hits him with that exact same thought and Hicks backs off and gets generic

I guess what I meant is that Buckner is known for getting a lot out of his d-lineman. He identifies their strenghts and tells them to get after it. I think he could do the same thing for the whole defense. Here is your job...don't overthink it....play physical and don't get pushed around....and for god sakes step up and tackle (LOOKING AT YOU PAT). Get our DB's up on the WR's...stop giving 15 yard cushions. When we bring a blitz, you better hit the qb...etc

Im not saying we become a great defense overnight. I'm saying I think we move away from the overthinking, slow, confused, low energy..almost passive looking defense weve seen under vance.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Not better than most, that would imply we are in the top 1/2 of the league. Through Vances 20 games here we are one of, if not THE, worst defense in the NFL

They are ranked 16th after week 4 without Baker, who is our glue to keep it all together. Were ranked 13th with him in lineup. Our run D needs to improve greatly. Our 1st round pick can't even get on the field often. They need to find out where he fits in this D. We knew when we took him that would be a bit of a mystery, as well as needing a learning curve for him and the coaches.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Only if it's DeForest Buckner and he also starts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson