Couch to join Pack...

Red Air Force

DILLIGAFF
Reaction score
Packers | Couch Agrees to One-year Deal - from www.KFFL.com
Mon, 14 Jun 2004 15:39:20 -0700

FoxSportsNet's Jay Glazer reports the Green Bay Packers have agreed to terms with free agent QB Tim Couch (Browns) on a one-year, $1.25 million deal. The deal also includes incentives. While he hasn't officially signed the deal yet, he is expected to join the team in the next 48 to 72 hours.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Damn, thats not very much. While I would have paid that for him to be our backup, I think it would have created too much of a QB controversy. Just too high profile.

He's better than King, but not a good fit.

This_Guy

Veteran
Reaction score
This goes back to the other thread about Couch. So many of you are convinced that most NFL types think Couch is a much better option than King. Except the NFL "market" values them pretty similarly.

Couch: 1 year, $1.25M
King: 2 years, $2.2M (or per year at $1.1M cap charge)

Couch is a never has been, and continues to ride his first round status for continued chances. He'll never see the field behind Favre this year and won't attract much attention next year either. Bad move for Couch. He should have gone to Denver were he might get a few starts. (I wonder if he had any other legit offers?)

He'll join classmates Akili Smith and Cade McNown in retirement soon enough.

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This_Guy said:
This goes back to the other thread about Couch. So many of you are convinced that most NFL types think Couch is a much better option than King. Except the NFL "market" values them pretty similarly.

Couch: 1 year, $1.25M
King: 2 years, $2.2M (or per year at $1.1M cap charge)

Couch is a never has been, and continues to ride his first round status for continued chances. He'll never see the field behind Favre this year and won't attract much attention next year either. Bad move for Couch. He should have gone to Denver were he might get a few starts. (I wonder if he had any other legit offers?)

He'll join classmates Akili Smith and Cade McNown in retirement soon enough.
Again he is not better then King. King lead his team to an NFC final and lost on a bad refs call. King never demanded he be given the starters job. And King never cried like a baby when things didn't go his way.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
vikesfan said:
Again he is not better then King. King lead his team to an NFC final and lost on a bad refs call.

will you stop spouting this garbage - let me ask you this - How many points did King "lead" is team to against the Rams in that game - I believe it was SIX - couldn't even lead the team to a freaking TD - and how many points did he "lead" them to the week before against the Redskins - I believe it was FOURTEEN - whoop-dee-do - the man "lead" his team to TWO tds in the playoffs - I mean wouldn't it be more appropriate to say that King played on a team LED by one of the Best defenses of all time? Isn't that more of what happened?

Couch is garbage also - although, who knows - plenty of other QBs have resurrected their careers later - time will tiell - but if that does happen - I'll be surprised - was never a big fan of his out of Kentucky.

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
will you stop spouting this garbage - let me ask you this - How many points did King "lead" is team to against the Rams in that game - I believe it was SIX - couldn't even lead the team to a freaking TD - and how many points did he "lead" them to the week before against the Redskins - I believe it was FOURTEEN - whoop-dee-do - the man "lead" his team to TWO tds in the playoffs - I mean wouldn't it be more appropriate to say that King played on a team LED by one of the Best defenses of all time? Isn't that more of what happened?

Couch is garbage also - although, who knows - plenty of other QBs have resurrected their careers later - time will tiell - but if that does happen - I'll be surprised - was never a big fan of his out of Kentucky.
Look at the stats provided by This Guy on King I am not saying King is great just better then Couch. Yeah QBs take time to develop so Couch might develop but the same applies to King he is only 26 iirc. BTW Couch is a freaking crybaby so I wouldn't put any money on him developing. King maybe.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
vikesfan said:
Look at the stats provided by This Guy on King I am not saying King is great just better then Couch. Yeah QBs take time to develop so Couch might develop but the same applies to King he is only 26 iirc. BTW Couch is a freaking crybaby so I wouldn't put any money on him developing. King maybe.

that's not my issue - I as much said that Couch was garbage -- I just think you're statement "King led . . . " is ridiculously misleading - and to tell the truth - if the guy is going to play for the Packers in order to learn under Brett Favre - oh there it is - it's Packer hate that's clouding your mind - that's actually understandable - because I'd rather see what Denny could do with Couch than King - but considering we have our starter that don't matter to me.

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
that's not my issue - I as much said that Couch was garbage -- I just think you're statement "King led . . . " is ridiculously misleading - and to tell the truth - if the guy is going to play for the Packers in order to learn under Brett Favre - oh there it is - it's Packer hate that's clouding your mind - that's actually understandable - because I'd rather see what Denny could do with Couch than King - but considering we have our starter that don't matter to me.
Dude look at the context of my post I was referring to a post by someone who said Couch was better then King. King as QB led his team to an NFC final that is a fact. BTW he will learn nothing from Favre because the man is a selfish moron.

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
azdad1978 said:
I'm not a Favre follower but where did you get this idea from? :confused:
Oh my God. He costs his team games by playing hurt and forcing ints.
Did you see the PHI game last year or the ATL game the year before or the 6 SIX! int game from a few years back. 2 years ago he had a 4 int game vs a lousy MIN defense and his coach had to say after Favre spent years in the nfl he needs to learn to throw the ball away WTF??

The greatest disgrace in NFL history: after his olinemen busted their butts all day to keep him from getting sacked Favre laid down and let his friend Strahan sack him to get him the all time sack record. SICKENING. You should have read what his o line said after that game.

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
vikesfan said:
Did you see the PHI game last year or the ATL game the year before or the 6 SIX! int game from a few years back. 2 years ago he had a 4 int game vs a lousy MIN defense and his coach had to say after Favre spent years in the nfl he needs to learn to throw the ball away WTF??

The greatest disgrace in NFL history: after his olinemen busted their butts all day to keep him from getting sacked Favre laid down and let his friend Strahan sack him to get him the all time sack record. SICKENING. You should have read what his o line said after that game.

Yeah he laid out for that sack and he throws INT like crazy cause he relies on his arm way too much sometimes but I don't see why you have to call a guy a selfish moron when the guy just wants to win.

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
vikesfan said:

Uh this pretty much DEFINES selfishness and being a moron.

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
vikesfan said:
Uh this pretty much DEFINES selfishness and being a moron.

You quote yourself now? :rolleyes: Whats next? I think your hatred for Favre since he is in your division is clouding your judgement IMO.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
azdad1978 said:

Not a knock against Farve but is is common knowledge up in GB country that Farve wants nothing to do with any of the younger QB's. Hasselback himself said it in an interview a while back, that he and Farve never even talked not even in practice, and Farve didnt teach him a single thing.

Farve just isnt a good qb to learn from, he wants nothing to do with helping out the young QB's behind him. I think that half of the vet QB's in the league are just like this.

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
azdad1978 said:
You quote yourself now? :rolleyes: Whats next? I think your hatred for Favre since he is in your division is clouding your judgement IMO.
I have posted facts about Favre. I don't hate Favre. Favre has always been overrated he himself admitted in Esquire magazine that it was booze and drugs that won him the SB. Take away the booze and drug years and Favre is nothing special.

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
Not a knock against Farve but is is common knowledge up in GB country that Farve wants nothing to do with any of the younger QB's. Hasselback himself said it in an interview a while back, that he and Farve never even talked not even in practice, and Farve didnt teach him a single thing.

Farve just isnt a good qb to learn from, he wants nothing to do with helping out the young QB's behind him. I think that half of the vet QB's in the league are just like this.
Another example of his selfishness. Thank you.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
vikesfan said:
I have posted facts about Favre. I don't hate Favre. Favre has always been overrated he himself admitted in Esquire magazine that it was booze and drugs that won him the SB. Take away the booze and drug years and Favre is nothing special.
Let's get Mccown drunked up and on painkillers and i'll see you in the Super Bowl. :stupid:
VF this may be your dumbest string of posts i've seen.King is not better than Couch.If they'd have had any QB worth a damn then TB would not have lost in the championship game.The team got there in spite of King.You choose to think he led them there.Well, Couch led an injury depleted expansion team to the playoffs 2 years ago.That's a helluva better accomplishment than what King did.I'm not even going to get into the Favre being overrated outburst.The guy is a top 10 all-time QB and that may be underrating him. Maybe you're upset because Favre is Tommy Kramer with talent.A couple of boozing QB's.But Favre won a SB because of it???????If that's the case, Kramer should've been a 1st ballot HOF.

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Cbus cardsfan said:
Let's get Mccown drunked up and on painkillers and i'll see you in the Super Bowl. :stupid:
VF this may be your dumbest string of posts i've seen.King is not better than Couch.If they'd have had any QB worth a damn then TB would not have lost in the championship game.The team got there in spite of King.You choose to think he led them there.Well, Couch led an injury depleted expansion team to the playoffs 2 years ago.That's a helluva better accomplishment than what King did.I'm not even going to get into the Favre being overrated outburst.The guy is a top 10 all-time QB and that may be underrating him. Maybe you're upset because Favre is Tommy Kramer with talent.A couple of boozing QB's.But Favre won a SB because of it???????If that's the case, Kramer should've been a 1st ballot HOF.
Hey if the refs hadn't blown that call maybe they win that game too bad the TB def gave up the game winning TD after that. As for Couch leading CLE my memory is hazy but I think it was their other QB that was lead the charge into the playoffs that year. BTW Couch is a freaking crybaby. BTW Favre himself said it was the booze and drugs look at his stats SINCE then you can see the drop off.
The same media that proclaims Moss a selfish hood and degrades him (first player in history last year to average 1 td 100 yards a game) pumps up Favre as some sort of great player. He is not.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
vikesfan said:
As for Couch leading CLE my memory is hazy but I think it was their other QB that was lead the charge into the playoffs that year. BTW Couch is a freaking crybaby.

It was couch who lead the Browns to a 9-7 wildcard birth. It was Holcomb who played in the playoffs and almost beat Pitt with 430 yards passing in a 33-36 barn-burner.

And by the way you keep pointing out Kings stats time after time. Well look at Couchs' and they have almost the same exact career QB rating. If you want to keep pointing out the stats of one guy you cant disregard that of another.

Last edited:

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
It was couch who lead the Browns to a 9-7 wildcard birth. It was Holcomb who played in the playoffs and almost beat Pitt with 430 yards passing in a 33-36 barn-burner.

And by the way you keep pointing out Kings stats time after time. Well look at Couchs' and they have almost the same exact career QB rating. If you want to keep pointing out the stats of one guy you cant disregard that of another.
Yeah but Couch is a crybaby who demanded the starter's job be given to him.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
azdad1978 said:

I would put it milder, but I've read several times that Favre is notoriously disinterested in mentoring a young QB. That while he has had guys like Warner(briefly) and Brooks etc backing him up, he had absolutely no interest in teaching them he felt that was the coaches job.

I think I posted that in a thread last week as to why going to Denver might be a smarter move for Couch.

Couch has the physical tools but he learned nothing in college because of the offense they ran, and came into a franchise starting from scratch, and it appears he's still trying to learn to read NFL defenses.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
vikesfan said:

Oh come on you really think being on drugs and booze HELPED his career? Painkillers may have allowed him to play in pain but alcohol is NOT a performance enhancing drug.

that's just a wee bit of a stretch to suggest that's what won a superbowl.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
vikesfan said:
Hey if the refs hadn't blown that call maybe they win that game too bad the TB def gave up the game winning TD after that. As for Couch leading CLE my memory is hazy but I think it was their other QB that was lead the charge into the playoffs that year. BTW Couch is a freaking crybaby. BTW Favre himself said it was the booze and drugs look at his stats SINCE then you can see the drop off.
The same media that proclaims Moss a selfish hood and degrades him (first player in history last year to average 1 td 100 yards a game) pumps up Favre as some sort of great player. He is not.

Yeah it's not like Favre is getting older or something his stats are clearly falling because he quit drugs!!! And it's not like he had both Sterling Sharpe and Robert Brooks see their careers cut short by injuries and had to play with a bunch of no name WR's.

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Oh come on you really think being on drugs and booze HELPED his career? Painkillers may have allowed him to play in pain but alcohol is NOT a performance enhancing drug.

that's just a wee bit of a stretch to suggest that's what won a superbowl.
Uh talk to Favre that is what he said in Esquire magazine. If you look at his stats his best years were when he was a drug and booze addict. His coach blamed Favre for the 4 ints not the WRs. Did you watch the PHI game that was all on Favre. Favre is a phoney media creation just like Moss the hood is a phoney media creation.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
vikesfan said:
Uh talk to Favre that is what he said in Esquire magazine. If you look at his stats his best years were when he was a drug and booze addict. His coach blamed Favre for the 4 ints not the WRs. Did you watch the PHI game that was all on Favre. Favre is a phoney media creation just like Moss the hood is a phoney media creation.

If YOU look at his stats you'll see they came during the PRIME of his career just as is the case with MOST NFL QB's.

His best years were 95 and 96 when he was 26-27 years old. FYI his 2001 season was pretty good too. This is a guy showing clear signs he's getting old, losing interest in the game(all the talk about retirement) and he's also a guy who is showing the effects of a bad decision on which coach to hire.

FYI you may want to check your "facts" according to ESPN Favre spent 45 days in rehab AFTER the 95 season, and then won the MVP award AGAIN. So if it was the drugs and booze that made him so good how come he was so good in 96 AFTER he quit both?

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
If YOU look at his stats you'll see they came during the PRIME of his career just as is the case with MOST NFL QB's.

His best years were 95 and 96 when he was 26-27 years old. FYI his 2001 season was pretty good too. This is a guy showing clear signs he's getting old, losing interest in the game(all the talk about retirement) and he's also a guy who is showing the effects of a bad decision on which coach to hire.

FYI you may want to check your "facts" according to ESPN Favre spent 45 days in rehab AFTER the 95 season, and then won the MVP award AGAIN. So if it was the drugs and booze that made him so good how come he was so good in 96 AFTER he quit both?
Ask Favre that is what he said.

Elway won SBs in his final 2 seasons.

The coach is telling him to stop throwing his dumb selfish ints and he refuses.

The coach is saying he needs to learn to throw the ball away and that was 2 years ago.

How was the coach to blame for that PHI toss. That was perhaps the most atrocious play I have ever seen in a playoff game ever. Oh wait I forgot about his 6! ints in one playoff game.

The announcers after praising him all game in typical Favre worship fashion were amazed when it happened. I was laughing my guts out as their jaws dropped, I see a fair amount of GB games he does it a lot.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard