Colt McCoy era ends

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
LOL at evidence. He has presented NONE.

No we are saying is that everything you are saying is speculation that you treat as fact.

It's called logic @kerouac9

Maybe he really likes living in Cleveland and would only sign with the Cardinals for $4 million. He then took the Cardinals offer of $2.5 million back to Cleveland who then said "We can't match that, but we will give you the security of guaranteeing the contract." That is a plausible scenario, but if I was to treat it as fact it would....<drumrolls> speculation.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Best of luck to Colt McCoy, but I'm glad he will not be playing behind the Cardinals offensive line. I think it would have been a recipe for disaster.

Let's go with some young guys at quarterback.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Uh no. This is the epitome of changing your plan at the last second. To argue otherwise is kinda silliness.

Their plan was to see if the guy who was clearly broken would be healed by game time? Give him almost all of first team reps? And wait until 10 days before the season and hope another team will be willing to trade you the alternative you want whose price you didn’t like before and for whom you have to give up a draft pick? Look, this move isn’t a disaster, but if it’s indicative of their “planning” I have very little hope for the future.
Anyone that has a good plan, also has a contingency plan. He apparently has been on the Cards radar all offseason.

I won't argue that it is a good plan, or a good thing to have to go to a contingency.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who knew this was going to be the extreme take that would set the board on fire.
I think it was the combination of that, and the report from Schefter that Dobbs is the likely starter.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's not. It's literally the opposite. One is using informed speculation + evidence to make an affirmative point.

What you and Krang are doing is asking us to disprove a negative, which is logically impossible, and assumes the most exculpatory explanation as the baseline fact.

Saying "How do you know Dobbs didn't take less to play in Cleveland where he had a 0% chance to start when he could have come here to work with an exec who signed him a few months before and lead to his first two NFL starts and an OC and QB coach who worked with him 10 months ago????" isn't an argument.

"Informed speculation" :biglaugh:

Nothing about it is informed. It's literally complete guesswork.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
a bidding war… for a guy making 3 million bucks, while we had like 26 million dollars in cap room?
Hey - those 2 starts in 5 years are irresistible! We have a genuine starting NFL QB boys!

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I guess I don't see it as the hallmark of a good organizational plan to "keep him around and see what he has" when it comes to your starting QB spot. Especially when it only costs you 3.5 mil. Hell, they already have 42.7 mil in dead money, 3.5 more shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Not in March they didn't.

This was our QB situation in March when Dobbs signed for the Brown's.

Kyler Murray out with an ACL.
Colt McCoy
Blough (who signed 3 days before Dobbs was announced for the Browns)

That was it.

If you think any FO is cutting a vet QB and leaving themselves only with Blough fit on the roster y'all are high. If nothing else considering the money involved you keep him around for camp.

They never named Colt starter. They gave him first shot at 1st team reps but has camp has gone along they have split with Tune.

I think that they could have done this sooner, but apparently the Vikings practices were the deciding factor. But still, I think the only realistic option is that after game 2 vs the Chiefs they gave Tune more 1st team reps and let him start game 3 with the 1's.

Talk of cutting him in March with just a healthy Blough on the roster is for the birds. And not a single person here suggested it. Not one of you that I can recall has ever said "they should cut Colt and get someone else".

The narrative here has always been it's a rebuilding year and we might as well take our lumps with McCoy as anyone because we ain't going to be good anyway. So all of this is just more pure hindsight nonsense to dump on the Org.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Colt McCoy

That was it.

If you think any FO is cutting a vet QB and leaving themselves only with Blough fit on the roster y'all are high. If nothing else considering the money involved you keep him around for camp.

They never named Colt starter. They gave him first shot at 1st team reps but has camp has gone along they have split with Tune.

I think that they could have done this sooner, but apparently the Vikings practices were the deciding factor. But still, I think the only realistic option is that after game 2 vs the Chiefs they gave Tune more 1st team reps and let him start game 3 with the 1's.

Talk of cutting him in March with just a healthy Blough on the roster is for the birds. And not a single person here suggested it. Not one of you that I can recall has ever said "they should cut Colt and get someone else".

The narrative here has always been it's a rebuilding year and we might as well take our lumps with McCoy as anyone because we ain't going to be good anyway. So all of this is just more pure hindsight nonsense to dump on the Org.
I agree! They should've signed Dobbs back in March and taken Colt, Blough, Dobbs and a potential rookie to camp!

That would have been a good plan.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
So let's throw a 5th rounder on a crap QB 10 days before the season starts because we're not going to be good anyway. We have plenty of QB's who can do just what Dobbs can do - lose with aplomb.

OMG, will someone PLEASE give the organization some credit?!?

If you can take your homer glasses off for a second, here is a national perspective:

"Arizona could be in the early stages of the best tank job in recent NFL history. Or the Cardinals could just be a mess."

Or maybe both!

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
a bidding war… for a guy making 3 million bucks, while we had like 26 million dollars in cap room?

Sure, I imagine it went something like this.

"Cleveland are offering Dobbs $2m guaranteed. They want $2.5m to sign here with $2m in G's as he already knows Cleveland and a bunch of the guys there"

"Do we want to spend 10% of our cap space on a QB with the roster in the state it is? On a guy that might be QB3 if Kyler makes it back in time? He's working hard. It's possible Kyler might make it back".

Literally nobody here was saying back in March "We should sign another QB with $2m in guarantees" and if we had this board would have melted down.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree! They should've signed Dobbs back in March and taken Colt, Blough, Dobbs and a potential rookie to camp!

That would have been a good plan.

I'm sure they would. If Cleveland hadn't offered him $2m in G's.

Would be foolish to sign another QB to guaranteed money with Colt already guaranteed and an outside shot Kyler might make it back in time.

And I think had we signed Dobbs back in March to such a deal this board would have roasted it.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is hilarious. No one in the building thought Kyler was gonna come back early.

There's no set time and every heals differently and works at it differently.

But fine, change it to "when Kyler will be back by game 5" and it still applies.

And I'd sure the conversation went something along the lines of them still having the draft to pick up a guy that could compete.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
So let's throw a 5th rounder on a crap QB 10 days before the season starts because we're not going to be good anyway. We have plenty of QB's who can do just what Dobbs can do - lose with aplomb.

If you can take your homer glasses off for a second, here is a national perspective:

"Arizona could be in the early stages of the best tank job in recent NFL history. Or the Cardinals could just be a mess."

Or maybe both!

DUH!

The best way to tank was to keep Colt!

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Or maybe both!
I get everything that you are saying here, but is the alternative better? Sign a couple free agents, keep Byron/Zach. What does that do for us, win maybe one extra game?

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Sure, I imagine it went something like this.

"Cleveland are offering Dobbs $2m guaranteed. They want $2.5m to sign here with $2m in G's as he already knows Cleveland and a bunch of the guys there"

"Do we want to spend 10% of our cap space on a QB with the roster in the state it is? On a guy that might be QB3 if Kyler makes it back in time? He's working hard. It's possible Kyler might make it back".

Literally nobody here was saying back in March "We should sign another QB with $2m in guarantees" and if we had this board would have melted down.
"if Kyler makes it back in time"
:moon:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
There's no set time and every heals differently and works at it differently.

But fine, change it to "when Kyler will be back by game 5" and it still applies.
No it doesn't. If the front office and coaching staff have faith in their evaluation then you offer Dobbs a two year deal with whatever guarantee you need to get the job done.

If you believe in a player, go and get him. If you don't believe in a player, get rid of him ASAP. @Chopper0080 is right that this front office has shown that they lack the strength of their convictions almost across the board. Always dithering.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Colt McCoy

That was it.

Tune didn’t play with the 1’s in game 3. The 1’s didn’t play in game 3 for either team. The only QB to play with 1’s in preseason games was McCoy. Typical for most teams in the last preseason game.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No it doesn't. If the front office and coaching staff have faith in their evaluation then you offer Dobbs a two year deal with whatever guarantee you need to get the job done.

If you believe in a player, go and get him. If you don't believe in a player, get rid of him ASAP. @Chopper0080 is right that this front office has shown that they lack the strength of their convictions almost across the board. Always dithering.

Hilarious. Fine, they should have offered him $5m with $3m guaranteed because they were "convicted".

Cap space and roster situation play an obvious part in all player decisions. It's all a balance. You have to build a whole roster, you can't put all your eggs in the QB basket.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Tune didn’t play with the 1’s in game 3. The 1’s didn’t play in game 3 for either team. The only QB to play with 1’s in preseason games was McCoy. Typical for most teams in the last preseason game.

Yeah. That's why were talking in hypertheticals.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison