Colt McCoy era ends

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In any other year I would agree with you. I dont think its about the wins this season for MO & JG, its about coaching up their guys, seeing progression thruout the season and establishing a culture of discipline and hardwork. Its about next season.
There's a reason they didnt bring in top $ free agents, cut Hobbs, traded away three of Keims guys and cut Colt.
Anybody expecting more out of this season is fooling themselves.
I mostly agree. If they didn't think they needed help, they don't trade for Dobbs. They missed out on Dobbs initially and maybe thought Blough could be that guy in the event Tune isn't ready. I'm not going to bash Monti since it seems he got the guy he wanted anyway. Like I said it's just more bizarre, but I'm willing to see.

Last edited:

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
You’re right. It’s all conjecture. What we do know:

Cleveland & Arizona both crap organizations

Cleveland and Arizona both wanted dobbs

Cleveland had healthy QB. Arizona had QB coming off ACL.

Adding up the only facts we all know, seems like cards could’ve landed the kid if $$$ was equal.
I think they wanted Dobbs if he was cheap but they thought McCoy's injury would heal enough for him to still be serviceable, so no need to get in a bidding war. I guess last week they realized McCoy wasn't going to be the same come week 1 and decided they needed to bite the bullet and trade for Dobbs. We aren't pushing for the playoffs, but we don't want to lose each game by 4 scores either.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The team has an entire department responsible for scouting current NFL players. They do so by studying game tape and making informed decisions. Teams also do this for their own players. When new coaches come in, they scout the players on their roster to see who want moving forward. If you are suggesting Gannon and Monti can't make a determination on a 36 year old NFL vet QB who has started 6 games over the past two seasons...I mean...that to me is very far fetched.
I mean, they cut other players earlier than they cut mccoy, how could they have possibly figured those player decisions out???

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think they wanted Dobbs if he was cheap but they thought McCoy's injury would heal enough for him to still be serviceable, so no need to get in a bidding war. I guess last week they realized McCoy wasn't going to be the same come week 1 and decided they needed to bite the bullet and trade for Dobbs. We aren't pushing for the playoffs, but we don't want to lose each game by 4 scores either.
a bidding war… for a guy making 3 million bucks, while we had like 26 million dollars in cap room?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don't know the answer. I have said that. I'm offering alternatives, but not treating it as fact.

Fans thought Schneider and Pete Carroll were clownshoes too when they started out.

No I'm not suggesting they are "geniuses". I don't know why questioning speculation is so triggering to some of you.
Maybe because you always do it in support of a gawd awful organization. The consistency is both inspiring and baffling.

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
I mean, they cut other players earlier than they cut mccoy, how could they have possibly figured those player decisions out???
If were playing speculation, I think they wanted to keep Colt on board for his professionalism as a QB and as a person for these young QBs thruout camp. You know Kyler isnt that guy. ;) I also think they told Colt of their plans for releasing him earlier than whats being reported.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
This is probably true that it was an admission that they probably should have just signed Dobbs then.

Suck with Dobbs or suck with McCoy. I don't know why I feel compelled to argue this.
Maybe because we really aren’t going to have much substantive stuff to talk about in a throw away season? Gotta talk about something.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I'm sure that JG will want to see Tune and Dobbs take turns in practice with the starters and select one to be the starter, Week One. You have someone who is more experienced and someone who knows the team. I'll be happy with either, even for different reasons.

P.S. I'm sure that JG will pick the guy who gives his team the best chance to win.
You’ll be happy with either?

Your standards are wildly low.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Didn’t expect Colt getting released just like Hopkins. I’m rooting for Tune to start. I’ve seen enough of Tune to know he has potential and the talent to become a good quarterback. Will he who knows but I would like to find out. Haven’t seen Dobbs play and don’t know if he’s any good or not.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

I thought that Tune looked good in the PS and if the coaches think Dobbs is even better, well that is a plus. And IF my standards are wildy low, that's what happens when you've been a fan as long as I have (1947). But, in the words of Jim Valvano, I "Dare to dream".

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Maybe because we really aren’t going to have much substantive stuff to talk about in a throw away season? Gotta talk about something.
Yeah I guess so.

I think most of us can agree this team is going to be quite terrible and it's going to make this football season pretty lousy for most of us.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Didn’t expect Colt getting released just like Hopkins. I’m rooting for Tune to start. I’ve seen enough of Tune to know he has potential and the talent to become a good quarterback. Will he who knows but I would like to find out. Haven’t seen Dobbs play and don’t know if he’s any good or not.
I feel like a crazy person each time I see posts like this.

Do y’all even watch other NFL teams??

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

I think it is interesting to start a young, unknown QB, but most of us have already seen how this is likely to play out.

My guess is that Tune has a similar season to Davis Mills a few years ago, which will create some hope among the fan base, but will ultimately mean that he is not the guy.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I know people who love Cleveland. I don't understand why.

I also know people who love living in Arizona too, and I don't get that either. I have the chance to move anywhere and Arizona is a big nope from me.
I have been to Cleveland a few times, and I lived in Tempe. I would take Tempe 10/10 times.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I think it is interesting to start a young, unknown QB, but most of us have already seen how this is likely to play out.

My guess is that Tune has a similar season to Davis Mills a few years ago, which will create some hope among the fan base, but will ultimately mean that he is not the guy.
Following that Houston plan.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I see the top three QB's in the most recent Draft have been named starters. And in the PS I didn't think that they looked better than Tune. So, for that reason I hope that Tune starts.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
My fear is that they parlay that meh play into believing they can develop Tune and then pass on QBs next year.
I mean, if you have him completing 58% of his passes for 2700 yards 20 TDs and 14 INTs it’s really hard to squint and say “This guy with no pedigree is gonna lead us to the promised land someday.” Wildly arrogant.

Houston passed on a QB in 2022 because there wasn’t one. To have a top 3 pick and not take one then also dump Kyler is a near-extinction-level event.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison