Colt McCoy era ends

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I get everything that you are saying here, but is the alternative better? Sign a couple free agents, keep Byron/Zach. What does that do for us, win maybe one extra game?
They were talking about this on The Athletic Football Show w/r/t the Vikes. They made a couple of aggressive FA signings with the expectation that when their "competitive rebuild" is complete, Josh Oliver (TE), Byron Murphy (CB) and Marcus Davenport (DE) will be on the back side of their primes.

I think the FO is indicating that this is a non-competitive rebuild and we're unlikely to compete in either 2023 or 2024, and the cap landscape afterward is too blurry to plan around.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Hilarious. Fine, they should have offered him $5m with $3m guaranteed because they were "convicted".

Cap space and roster situation play an obvious part in all player decisions. It's all a balance. You have to build a whole roster, you can't put all your eggs in the QB basket.

Well, the FO definitely failed in this objective.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
From Tony Grossi on the Browns beat,

"As a free agent, Dobbs almost signed with the Cardinals. But the Browns confided a mistake in letting Dobbs go and guaranteed their offer of $2 million. Dobbs felt his career would be better enhanced by being a part of a playoff-caliber team as a backup than perhaps getting play time with a non-playoff team."

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I get everything that you are saying here, but is the alternative better? Sign a couple free agents, keep Byron/Zach. What does that do for us, win maybe one extra game?
It's building towards a better future! Again - you can't acquire all these pieces overnight! It'll take multiple offseasons of acquisitions for us to get out of the "worst team in football by far". We're predicted to lose a full 2 games more than the next worst team by Vegas.

Byron and Zach might not be the rising stars on the next good Cards team, but they sure as hell could have been a part of the rebuild. We simply cannot have two years of good drafts and expect that will be enough. It's not.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
DUH!

The best way to tank was to keep Colt!
Any of our QB's are perfectly suited to tank. Paying a 5th rounder for a different guy to tank is absurd. A guy that has 2 starts in 5 years - if Dobbs had any future other than backup in the NFL, we'd know by now.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

lol, 6 practices.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's building towards a better future! Again - you can't acquire all these pieces overnight! It'll take multiple offseasons of acquisitions for us to get out of the "worst team in football by far". We're predicted to lose a full 2 games more than the next worst team by Vegas.

Byron and Zach might not be the rising stars on the next good Cards team, but they sure as hell could have been a part of the rebuild. We simply cannot have two years of good drafts and expect that will be enough. It's not.
I don't disagree. There's a major assumption here that the Cards fumbled Byron/Zach. If we are as dysfunctional as people say we are, why would they want to re-sign with us?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
He had a week, last year, to learn a new offense and start for the Titans against the Cowboys, while fighting for a playoff spot and Derek Henry not playing.
Not how you'd plan it out, huh?

I think the Washington game will be an absolute rout - they'll be fired up from losing their terrible owner, while our team will be reaping the consequences of our own failson.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I don't disagree. There's a major assumption here that the Cards fumbled Byron/Zach. If we are as dysfunctional as people say we are, why would they want to re-sign with us?
It's a fair question - hearing Murphy go on non-stop about how much better everything is in Minnesota....it just sucks to be so far behind the 8 ball being a fan of this team.

Aggressively noncompetitive, with so many problems that it is hard to address them all - ownership feels like the Sarver years...they just suck all the hope and enthusiasm out.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Not how you'd plan it out, huh?

I think the Washington game will be an absolute rout - they'll be fired up from losing their terrible owner, while our team will be reaping the consequences of our own failson.
I still think Cards win in Washington...Commanders have a ton of pressure on them (Rivera and Bienemy, especially)...players openly calling out Eric for being an A-hole, doesn't help them...Plus, it's not like they are starting a HOF QB. Their defense is what they will lean on, for sure....and that's another reason I think Dobbs starts over Tune. JMO

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
I still think Cards win in Washington...Commanders have a ton of pressure on them (Rivera and Bienemy, especially)...players openly calling out Eric for being an A-hole, doesn't help them...Plus, it's not like they are starting a HOF QB. Their defense is what they will lean on, for sure....and that's another reason I think Dobbs starts over Tune. JMO
You keep posting that we will win in Washington

Just stop lol it aint happening

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yeah I guess so.

I think most of us can agree this team is going to be quite terrible and it's going to make this football season pretty lousy for most of us.
Gotta keep eye on prize - the picks.

Look, these types of seasons are common to many of us. I think what we look for is:

1. Does the coaching look materially better? No more stupid click management. No more dead ball penalties. No more going for it on 4th on our own 20. Discipline. Good schemes.

2. Young player development. Hope to see improvement as year progresses.

3. Minimal blowouts. Be competitive.

4. Lots of losses. In a year like this one look at every loss as a win towards our draft.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a fair question - hearing Murphy go on non-stop about how much better everything is in Minnesota....it just sucks to be so far behind the 8 ball being a fan of this team.

Aggressively noncompetitive, with so many problems that it is hard to address them all - ownership feels like the Sarver years...they just suck all the hope and enthusiasm out.
You aren't wrong. Although I have a little optimism that probably isn't warranted.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
"Arizona could be in the early stages of the best tank job in recent NFL history. Or the Cardinals could just be a mess."

Or maybe both!
You must be registered for see images attach

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
It’s natural before a season. We are going to suck to an epic degree and for some reason I’m still looking forward to watching and buying Sunday Ticket. I’m an idiot.
Absolute simp for Michael Bidwill.

I don't know what I'm going to do. Last time the Cards were this execrable I'd tape the game, take an edible at 8 pm, walk the dog, and then just sort of absorb Josh Rosen's performance on like a spiritual level.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It’s natural before a season. We are going to suck to an epic degree and for some reason I’m still looking forward to watching and buying Sunday Ticket. I’m an idiot.
Don't need Sunday Ticket, but yep. Luckily I got my pc rig right beside it, so I can game on my 7800x3d/4090 or just make memes and post them to ASFN while the game is on.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Paid Tweet by Gumbo
Local sports coverage couldn't be more dire at this point - with 98.7 in the pocket of all of the teams it is impossible to get anything other than cheerleading.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard