Colledge restructures contract.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good deal.

And great example of how the Cardinals structure contracts leaves them with MORE flexibility in the long run, no matter what some on this site claim.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Wow. Thats awesome.

This is what Mitch was alluding too. Buy in.

Cards havent managed this well in the past so Kudos to Graves and team for getting the cap space cleared to bring in a Bell and (hopefully) a MLB.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Good deal.

And great example of how the Cardinals structure contracts leaves them with MORE flexibility in the long run, no matter what some on this site claim.

But...the Cards had to give Colledge 3 million in guaranteed money versus $3 million in salary which is not guaranteed. There's no free lunch in restructures unless the player is going to get released otherwise. On the other hand it is a good move to shift cap dollars from 2012 to the future as it is anticipated that the cap will increase substantially in 2013.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But...the Cards had to give Colledge 3 million in guaranteed money versus $3 million in salary which is not guaranteed. There's no free lunch in restructures unless the player is going to get released otherwise. On the other hand it is a good move to shift cap dollars from 2012 to the future as it is anticipated that the cap will increase substantially in 2013.

Which after a year, they probably have a good idea they would be paying him either way.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bell is not on our radar screen....please accept this.

According to you? We brought him in and according to more than a few Media reports we have been negotiating with him.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bell just isn't that good. Pretty average. Don't know what all the fuss is about with him.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Let's hope this move precipitates bringing in Bell.

My thoughts exactly-----In my opinion, Bell is the prime free agent signing that we need to make in order to set up the draft to take BPA. I'm really starting to get anxious, knowing that we are this close to having a dramatic off-season. I only hope that we don't stop short like we did last year, when we only needed to sign a #2 WR, but decided to go with what we already had.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bell just isn't that good. Pretty average. Don't know what all the fuss is about with him.

Because you watched so many Bills games when he was healthy and playing?

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Hes better than Levi, thats all that matters.

Also the Bills were 2nd best in QB sacks last year. LT is a pretty big part of that.

All these restructures help us now, but in the long run are very detrimental. Its the exact problem the Steelers and Saints had this year. All those restructures came due and they couldnt afford their roster. All this does is push the pay further down the road, eventually itll all come due and we'll lose DWash and PP and everyone next up for a payday.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Also the Bills were 2nd best in QB sacks last year. LT is a pretty big part of that.

All these restructures help us now, but in the long run are very detrimental. Its the exact problem the Steelers and Saints had this year. All those restructures came due and they couldnt afford their roster. All this does is push the pay further down the road, eventually itll all come due and we'll lose DWash and PP and everyone next up for a payday.

Who else restructured besides College??

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Which after a year, they probably have a good idea they would be paying him either way.

Not really. Suppose Colledge pulled a Lutui and showed up to camp in poor shape? Then they'd have to either release him and throw away $3 million or keep him and pay him $3 million to sit on the bench.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Wow. Thats awesome.

This is what Mitch was alluding too. Buy in.

Cards havent managed this well in the past so Kudos to Graves and team for getting the cap space cleared to bring in a Bell and (hopefully) a MLB.

Every player in the NFL would restructure their contracts like this, every season. It has nothing to do with "buy in."

Colledge gets a check for $3 million this week instead of having it parcelled out in 17 increments every week of the regular season. Since you've claimed business expertise on other threads, I'm going to assume that you can see why this would be preferable to any rational operator.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

I'm not saying pay him an enormous contract, but I'd prefer he played there, and Levi moved over to RT. Otherwise, what are going to do? Play Levi and Bridges at those same positions, and hope a rookie pans out? If Bell will sign a reasonable contract, bring him in, and continue to look for a talent down the road that can really excel.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

We know how it works; the FO knows too, and this is precisely one contract.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score

If you abuse it yes it will hurt you in the future.

We. Don't have very many high paid players on this team.

AzCardzFan

Veteran
Reaction score
What's concerning is that his salary now jumps to a $7.25M cap hit each year for the next 2 years. Does that mean he is being setup to be cut or is that a resonable amount for guard? Seems like a lot of $$ to me....

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
What's concerning is that his salary now jumps to a $7.25M cap hit each year for the next 2 years. Does that mean he is being setup to be cut or is that a resonable amount for guard? Seems like a lot of $$ to me....

Well, he isn't that good so they can probably find a cheaper alternative if they feel the was overpriced and decided to cut him next year.

This is the main reason I would draft DeCastro in round 1 and another OG in the later rounds. You will need to develop an upgrade over Colledge in the near future.

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The thing I find so intriguing w/ Bell is the fact he only been playing football since 2005 and Oline since 2006, he had a B-ball scholarship and had never played football before. In 2008 he was inactive the whole year and has played only 31 games since (8,16,7). The guy is still learning the position and gaining experience, he made a marked improvement from 2010-2011. Granted the sample size last year was small, there seems to be a huge upside to him and with him not getting big money thrown at him, he may be available for a good price.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Good deal.

If they are going to restructure deals when then need to to upgrade the roster I agree,This gives them a lot of flexability.

Bringing in Bell who would be an upgrade would be a start.

But I still don't know why we let Marshal leave. I feel he showed his value. Maybe still being in the Manning hunt affected that.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson