Colin Cowherd on Kyler and coaching situation we are in ....

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Dude, Lamar Jackson is a pending free agent and the blow back in Baltimore is fairly minor.

If the Cards had done nothing at all Kyler would be going into his fifth-year option season and the Cards are offering an extension or planning to franchise him.
I hear what you're saying, as a comparison, but Baltimore fan base has way more faith in the front office than the Cardinals fan base. They'd be pissed to lose Lamar, but they'd also, for the most part, trust the front office to make it right...and rather quickly. That's what having a winning culture, year after year, allows.

Cards Crazy

Rookie
Reaction score
"I would have paid Kyler Murray, I'm guilty."
I was against it from the start, I know others in here were as well, what a dumb move that will come and haunt this franchise for the foreseeable future. After the playoff fiasco where he looked like a deer in headlights, I was like please do not back up the Brinks truck for this guy yet. If Kyler comes back and plays at an MVP level caliber again I'll gladly eat crow, but he got his money, there will be zero haste for him to come back and he just doesn't strike me as a fierce competitor or someone who has a love for the game.
Never wanted him in the 1st place Bosa is who I wanted was roasted for saying that about the "Once in a Generation Talent"

Last edited:

Cards Crazy

Rookie
Reaction score
Or you can look at it these way.

If Kyler didn't get injured, we would have as many people wanting a different QB at 3.

Or, those QBs sitting there at 3 are less talented than have come out in recent years, and that's including Kyler. (so we shouldn't be drafting one at 3 this year anyway) This would not be the year to select a QB at 3. We should be drafting Carter/Anderson and building a new defense.
Talent arm strength etc can only take you so far its whats between the ears that matters most Montana, Brady etc didnt have the most talent but they had the drive and smarts to succeed

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He would have held out. It would have been ugly.

And he would have been justified in holding out - just imagine if he hadn't, had the same injury. What do you do then?
Good. I would have welcomed him to hold out. Would the season been any worse? And we would still be in control of his contract

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Contracts, extensions, coaching hires, ...... How the hell does one team screw it up so much every single time? It all seems so simple from the outside, like any well run business makes it look. What are they doing on the inside to strike out on every issue they face? What must the meetings of their top personnel look like each time: everyone sitting around thinking to themselves:

"I don't have a clue! Anyone want to take a stab at this one? Sounds good to me! Okay, let's try that! And if that doesn't work, why don't we try this or that! Are we through yet? Actually, I am hungry! What time's lunch?"

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Certainly could be true but come on. We had Don Coryell and lost him over money. Arians retired to get out from under the Cards organization, then came back and won a SB in Tampa. We're in a big lawsuit by Steve Wilks. Eric Bienemy(sp?) a few years ago refused to even interview here when he allegedly desperately wanted to be a HC. Kliff was totally out of left field it's not like coaches were beating down the door that year either.

We have a history with coaches that plays a role every time we fire one and start over.

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The point is, they didn't HAVE to sign him last year. The controlled his rights for 2-3 more years if needed. Kyler bluffed and we folded as usual. Kyler didn't hold any of the cards to force them to re-sign. Similar situation to where the Ravens are with Lamar Jackson.
If we would have waited and Kyler had the same stinker of a year, we would have plenty of options moving forward.
Yeah I disagree here. Kyler definitely had the leverage after going from 5-11 to 8-8 to 11-6 in his first three years with rookie of the year and two pro bowl appearances on top of that.

I still think there’s a chance Lamar walks away from Baltimore unless he becomes the highest paid qb far and away. If that happens, Baltimore will catch so much heat.

Sadly players do have leverage to sit out/force trades when they want out. I hate that it happens (like how Odel forced his way out of Cleveland to be rewarded with a Super Bowl ring - gross) but players have leverage in this league.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yeah I disagree here. Kyler definitely had the leverage after going from 5-11 to 8-8 to 11-6 in his first three years with rookie of the year and two pro bowl appearances on top of that.

I still think there’s a chance Lamar walks away from Baltimore unless he becomes the highest paid qb far and away. If that happens, Baltimore will catch so much heat.

Sadly players do have leverage to sit out/force trades when they want out. I hate that it happens (like how Odel forced his way out of Cleveland to be rewarded with a Super Bowl ring - gross) but players have leverage in this league.

Players with leverage vs owners...

I'm always on the side of millionaires in their battle with billionaires.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
I believe what he said was “I don’t watch film 24/7”. That turned into he doesn’t watch film at all. More media/haters regurgitation.

That's the part that bugs me.

He deserves some of the leadership/maturity criticism he's receiving, and, he played way below his talent level this year. Both of those things put together definitely makes extending him look like a bad decision (in hindsight), and puts his long term future here in doubt. 100%.

But when people start twisting his words, and liberally extrapolating actions and events to conclude that he's "lazy" and "stupid" and things like that, it riles me up.

Suffice to say he's at a crossroads in his professional career. He can either seize the amazing opportunity he has in front of him, and do some more work on the history books (in a good way), or he can go into the dustbin of of history as an also-ran. As a never-was. As someone who wasted a supreme amount of talent. I think it'll be the former. I think he's wired to be a winner, but I admit I could be wrong. We'll see.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Cowherd is really studying I see. Caleb is NOT draft eligible this year.

Maybe Cowherd needs 4 hours a week of study?
Listen more closely, Cowherd was talking about waiting until next year to draft Caleb Williams, under the pretense that the Cardinals are destined for maybe the #1 overall pick on account of possibly not being favored in a single game, depending on how the schedule shakes out and when Kyler returns.

And he's not crazy.

Like he said, if those winnable games (Bears, Texans, Atlanta) turn out to be going on when we have Colt McCoy (or whoever) behind center, it's not easy to look at the Cardinals as favorites in nearly any game next year. Now, this is the NFL, and teams constantly surprise or win games they're not supposed to, but the point is valid. Especially if Murray does miss half of the season, doesn't have DHop anymore, and the team is all but out of it.

Imagine if he comes back and looks like he's not up to full strength, isn't grasping the new offense, limps away with 0-2 wins on the year, and we're owners of the #1 overall pick with Caleb Williams staring us in the face?

In this hypothetical (but realistic) scenario, I'd be tempted to go with the rookie.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I have listened to a few guys with supposed knowledge of coaching candidates talk about Kyler being the problem and a majority of them are not stating it's an attitude problem or that he does not apply himself but only saying a coach wants to choose his own guy and he is injured... then after they report this stance, the media proceeds to talk about his character

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have listened to a few guys with supposed knowledge of coaching candidates talk about Kyler being the problem and a majority of them are not stating it's an attitude problem or that he does not apply himself but only saying a coach wants to choose his own guy and he is injured... then after they report this stance, the media proceeds to talk about his character
Those coaches have no clue how he applies himself.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Those coaches have no clue how he applies himself.
Exactly. I guess it is not as much about Kyler or sports in general, but it seems any news in general now uses hyperbole to get hits and then takes something completely out of context and in a passive aggressive way suggest a narrative which then becomes fact no matter what side one seems to take. I totally accept there has to be some truth, no matter how small, to Kyler Murray's character but it's probably extremely overblown. I will be quiet now, because I doubt I have enough importance to be responsible for having this moved to the "Politics and Religion" forum lol

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Yes, even in hindsight. Cardinals would have absolutely gotten raked by everyone on this.

After his 2022 season, even with the dropoff the last half, you would have been nuts to let him walk. Sorry, but no rational NFL GM would do that.
So even though we saw it was a train wreck stupid decision, we still should have done it? Madness.

Let him walk? We would've had him under control for years. A GM with savvy and stones would have waited and not given him a new deal in almost record time for a young QB. It was plain dumb in hindsight. Just ridiculously stupid. It has hamstrung this organization.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
He would have held out. It would have been ugly.

And he would have been justified in holding out - just imagine if he hadn't, had the same injury. What do you do then?
He would have held out for a hot minute then realized "I'm not making any money, getting fined into the ground, and not accruing any service time. Ima come back now." And are you such a Kyler fanboy thinking he would have been justified in holding out? We gave him the big contract almost as fast as any other QB in history. Freaking history! We had zero need to move that fast. None whatsoever. He was under control for years and still had big question marks surrounding him.

Just imagine if we had competent management, didn't gift him the unearned cheddar, and the season unfolded like it did. We could dust off our hands, say, "Welp, that's not happening," and move on from him relatively painlessly. Or keep him around and spend some money/draft capital on competition at the position and let the best man win. Instead we're cap strapped and locked in with an injured, unknown commodity at QB that we can't shift. But, sure, yeah, that was totally wise in retrospect.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Imagine thinking Kyler letting this narrative take hold and never addressing it in the media is not a huge self own.

I don't even know if it's true. As someone very down on Kyler it would be easy for me to say it's spot on but I'm not sure it is.

But Kyler has allowed it to become the "truth". When people hear it over and over again with no counter narrative at all they can't help but believe it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose