COD Black Ops

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of my co-workers took a vacation day today. He's been up playing since midnight (or whenever he got back from Gamestop--was around 200 people there). DCR will pick his up after work, I believe.

My co-worker got me on IM and said it's amazing & I need to be prepared to be a CODBO widow for awhile, lol.

OP
OP
L

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H
I thought about taking a day off but opening weekend for deer hunting is this week and next week Harry Potter comes out. (Wife works p/t at the theater and we get a special viewing for just the two of us because she has to work on opening night)

It's like the best month of the year for me. :D

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Easter egg for those who haven't heard (not plot related):

Google "dead ops arcade" for instructions on how to unlock the secret game mode.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
personally, I only like infiniti ward COD games, treyarch makes huge maps and make me run for 5 minutes to get shot by a camper in a bush.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
personally, I only like infiniti ward COD games, treyarch makes huge maps and make me run for 5 minutes to get shot by a camper in a bush.

This one does a lot of things right. Not too many places to be caught by a sniper, but plenty by people that wait for you to come around the corner. That happens in all of the games though.

OP
OP
L

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H
I like this game. Though too many times on the map Nuketown (the fake neighborhood) the enemy would spawn directly behind me. Even in situations when my team and I were all on the same side of the map.

It's just nice getting a new game to play though with all new weapons and a learning curve for maps.

Campers are an easy problem to solve. I play like it's HC no matter what and you can't just go running around every corner.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This one does a lot of things right. Not too many places to be caught by a sniper, but plenty by people that wait for you to come around the corner. That happens in all of the games though.

Map size is more of my issue, infinity ward maps are always small and tight with lots of action where treyarch maps are always large and open. Didnt like call of duty 3 or world at war because of this.

dogpoo32

meh
Reaction score
How does this game compare to Battlefield Bad Company 2? I played MW2 and thought it was a little arcade-like. Not as bad as halo, but just not "real" enough for me. Thoughts?

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am going to pick this up. Trading in Medal of Honor probably today and going to get this. I have my old MW2 to trade in as well.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Map size is more of my issue, infinity ward maps are always small and tight with lots of action where treyarch maps are always large and open. Didnt like call of duty 3 or world at war because of this.

I would say that these maps are not open. Lots of buildings and not good for snipers. Lots of close quarter combat. I can't think of one map where you go 'this is a definite sniping map.'

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
strange they would change the style they normall go for...

Dogpoo, if you didnt like any COD besides the first one, id stay away from COD.

My example, I LOVE COD for its fast paced action and find battlefield incredibly slow and boring.

dogpoo32

meh
Reaction score

My example, I LOVE COD for its fast paced action and find battlefield incredibly slow and boring.

Good to know thanks! :thumbup:

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

OK, I have been playing tonight and I have to agree with Dreamcast. This is not a game for Snipers. This is more Arcade like. I guess if you call that "fast paced"....then OK. However, it's not very balanced. At least in the original COD you had some rather large maps. In CODMW, CODMW2 and COD-BO that has seemed to dissappear. The last two games appear to be what I call "spray and pray" shooters.

At least on Battelfield 3 (which is the best FPS out there IMO), you can have both close quarters intense battles and battles that are more strategic. Some maps are HUGE. IMO RUSH play in Battlefield 3 is the best FPS/Multiplayer experience out there bar none.

Last edited:

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Picked it up two days ago. Having a blast online, but only spent about 2 hours on the campaign. Have not tried Zombie mode yet.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought it friday and still havent taken the plastic off it yet haha.. Think I will tonite though..

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone started the campaign yet? I have been looking around but cant find the voice credits.. But I could swear Ice Cube is one of the characters voice..

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, I have been playing tonight and I have to agree with Dreamcast. This is not a game for Snipers. This is more Arcade like. I guess if you call that "fast paced"....then OK. However, it's not very balanced. At least in the original COD you had some rather large maps. In CODMW, CODMW2 and COD-BO that has seemed to dissappear. The last two games appear to be what I call "spray and pray" shooters.

At least on Battelfield 3 (which is the best FPS out there IMO), you can have both close quarters intense battles and battles that are more strategic. Some maps are HUGE. IMO RUSH play in Battlefield 3 is the best FPS/Multiplayer experience out there bar none.

spray and pray is what my daughter does, I like to run and gun. I am not the type of player to sit in a bush or climb on a building and sit still. I am always moving always killing. Big maps drive me nuts and bore me to death as it takes too long to find someone to kill. Battlefield lulls me to sleep. Good to hear black ops is fast paced.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
spray and pray is what my daughter does, I like to run and gun. I am not the type of player to sit in a bush or climb on a building and sit still. I am always moving always killing. Big maps drive me nuts and bore me to death as it takes too long to find someone to kill. Battlefield lulls me to sleep. Good to hear black ops is fast paced.

Well playing games where guys pull the trigger running around the map is spraying and praying to me. Nothing tactical about it at all. Run...empty your clip......run....empty your clip. Plus some of the maps just suck. Really not up to even the original games standards. COD MW was the best of em all so far. The multiplayer aspects of the game just keep getting worse IMO. At the very least I hope they release some of those maps and maybe 1 or 2 from the last game. These new multiplayer maps don't hold a candle to those.

I don't know what battlefield servers you have been on but I never have to wait to find someone to kill on that game. NEVER. The maps are huge but the servers are almost always full that I play on. When I drop into that game I have no problem finding action.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well playing games where guys pull the trigger running around the map is spraying and praying to me. Nothing tactical about it at all. Run...empty your clip......run....empty your clip. Plus some of the maps just suck. Really not up to even the original games standards. COD MW was the best of em all so far. The multiplayer aspects of the game just keep getting worse IMO. At the very least I hope they release some of those maps and maybe 1 or 2 from the last game. These new multiplayer maps don't hold a candle to those.

I don't know what battlefield servers you have been on but I never have to wait to find someone to kill on that game. NEVER. The maps are huge but the servers are almost always full that I play on. When I drop into that game I have no problem finding action.

treyarch COD games are notoriously not as good as infinity wards in any way, I expect it.

When I drop in on battlefield and there are 5 points or whatever and everyones on the other side of the map and you run all the way over there for 3 minutes just to get picked off and start back at the base camp.

Ive given battlefield many chances over the years, just dont like it at all. Difference in opinion and playing style.

Im not saying i run around holding the trigger, I stop, hide, move tactically but I want to be shooting at people all the time so I keep moving in most cases. Along with killcam telling you where I was I never sit still to avoid detection.

Spent many years with infants and nothing better to do than play shooters and have encountered all types of teams and the ones who just sit around and wait are the most boring games ever.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Has anyone started the campaign yet? I have been looking around but cant find the voice credits.. But I could swear Ice Cube is one of the characters voice..

Ice Cube, Sam Worthington, Gary Oldman, Robert Picardo, Andrew Divoff to name a few. Tom Kane also does voice work in this but that's his forte. He does voices for the Batman:Arkham games as Commissioner Gordon.

I'm on campaign now and it's a very interesting story so far.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ice Cube, Sam Worthington, Gary Oldman, Robert Picardo, Andrew Divoff to name a few. Tom Kane also does voice work in this but that's his forte. He does voices for the Batman:Arkham games as Commissioner Gordon.

I'm on campaign now and it's a very interesting story so far.

Fun single player campaign. OK, Multiplayer. Again, just echo that maps are too small for the most part. Closed quarter combat style of play. If you like to snipe or use vehicles...not the game for you. If not, multiplayer has it's moments but not as fun as previous COD games in multiplayer IMO.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Fun single player campaign. OK, Multiplayer. Again, just echo that maps are too small for the most part. Closed quarter combat style of play. If you like to snipe or use vehicles...not the game for you. If not, multiplayer has it's moments but not as fun as previous COD games in multiplayer IMO.

I just finished campaign and the only thing that annoyed me was fighting the Hind at the end. The rest was pretty OK.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard