Cloverfield

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I honestly think if my wife or some girl I really loved called me on a phone saying she was trapped in some building, still alive...I'd freaking go after her.

If you think that premise is impossible...that surprises me.

not so much what the dude would do himself, but that his friends not only didn't knock him out and drag him away, but actually went with him. that's part that's troubling to me.

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
not so much what the dude would do himself, but that his friends not only didn't knock him out and drag him away, but actually went with him. that's part that's troubling to me.
I can understand were you are coming from on the friends side. Some how I got the feeling that these friends were long time friends (childhood friends) and I think friends like that gets some extra attention. The only newbie to the group was the chick who got bit by a parasite. And she didn't go because she wanted to but IMO they were the only people she new.

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H
Just watched the this. Other than the poor dialogue and the terrible camera shots this was a good movie.

Normally I would complain about the unlikelihood of the friends running back into the fire so to speak, but it's a fictional movie about a giant monkey/fish/alien thing that attacks NYC.

I'll take it for what it is worth. I decent popcorn flick, worth the price of a rental, that I will never see again.

My wife on the other hand is looking for some meds to stop her motion sickness. Every time they showed the monster it was at the same time she closed her eyes to get her bearings.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
especially in the final scene on April 27th with Rob saying that they only have 3 seconds of tape left, you see something drop into the ocean in the background......a month later, they're attacked

Just watched it. I thought the scene discussed in the spoiler above should have been a little more obvious. That's pretty difficult to see without knowing it's there. I just happen to check IMDB before I returned the DVD, so I got to rewatch it.

I'm sure there's plenty of backstory that makes the movie much more interesting, but I don't really want to search the internet to find out about it.

They should have created more likable main characters. I found myself not really caring if they made it or not.

However, I thought it was a decent monster movie. Had some intense scenes and kept me interested. I could have done without the shaky camera though, I don't really think it's necessary. Black Hawk Down comes to mind of a movie that made you feel like you were right there, without a shaky camera.

I like some of the ideas being discussed for a sequel. Maybe tell the story from a different perspective, or a prequel type thing. I'd definitely check it out.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe for the sequel, one of the characters will be a professional camera man. Problem solved!

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score

EXACTLY!!

How are we supposed to root for this guy when he willingly sacrifices everyone, his brother, best friend, etc in search for a girl that he supposedly 'loves' but treated like crap? I mean... he screws her and then doesn't talk to her but when a giant monster attacks her realizes his mistake? COME ON! Clearly this movie wanted to put these people where the action was and used a crappy way to make us attached to them. That was what the love story was for... so the audience could be emotionally attached to the characters. Usually there is nothing wrong with that... but in this case it was poorly done, not to mention constantly shoved down our throats.

Not to mention that these guys where the unluckiest lucky people around (i.e. surviving a copper crash and Coney Island).

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
EXACTLY!!

How are we supposed to root for this guy when he willingly sacrifices everyone, his brother, best friend, etc in search for a girl that he supposedly 'loves' but treated like crap? I mean... he screws her and then doesn't talk to her but when a giant monster attacks her realizes his mistake? COME ON! Clearly this movie wanted to put these people where the action was and used a crappy way to make us attached to them. That was what the love story was for... so the audience could be emotionally attached to the characters. Usually there is nothing wrong with that... but in this case it was poorly done, not to mention constantly shoved down our throats.

Not to mention that these guys where the unluckiest lucky people around (i.e. surviving a copper crash and Coney Island).

I agree man. I found myself rooting for the monster at times. I didn't care for these characters at all.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
EXACTLY!!

Actually he thought this girl was dead when his brother died. They were in the process of leaving town at that moment and as soon as his brother died, he found out his girl was alive.

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
Actually he thought this girl was dead when his brother died. They were in the process of leaving town at that moment and as soon as his brother died, he found out his girl was alive.

His brother died cuz the main character stopped to try and call Beth. If he had not stopped to do this... they would have continued to cross and would not have been right there where the tentacle (or w/e) came down. This whole movie could have been avoided had they followed a basic rule: 'bros before hoes.'

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
His brother died cuz the main character stopped to try and call Beth. If he had not stopped to do this... they would have continued to cross and would not have been right there where the tentacle (or w/e) came down. This whole movie could have been avoided had they followed a basic rule: 'bros before hoes.'

No no no no no... His stopping actually saved everyone but his brother. Had he not, they all would have been further onto the bridge where if you watch, the entire bridge collapses. They had barely gotten on the bridge and would have been killed when it fell.

That and he didn't call Beth, she called him.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This movie was garbage. Completely unlikable characters that you never care if they live or die. And to top it all off, they are stupid. They were so stupid that it ruins the movie.

Hey we just broke into an electronics store. Maybe we should grab some Night Vision goggles or a freaking flashlight. Maybe it would be good to carry ANY sort of weapon. How about someone grab a backpack so we can carry some food and water in case we need to hole up for a couple days.

Oh look, the rats are running from something scary. I say we just continue to walk along in the dark.

Hey Mr. Military guy, before you fly off can you let me borrow your side arm? I am about to go back in the dark, can I have your flashlight?

My all time favorite stupid scene is when the 50 ft tall, multiple ton weighing, monster some how sneaks up over the stupid camera guy in the middle of the park. It was so dumb.

The movie should have just ended with the helicopter scene.

So in short:

Directing: Crap
Cinemetography: Annoying.
Characters: Unlikable.
Ending: Lame
Story: I really want to suspend my disbelief in a giant monster movie. Congrats for making that impossible.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Movie was terrible. Glad you outed it Fiasco. You will save several couples the 20 bucks. The things that pass for entertainment today are troubleing. My 2 cents.....I left half way thru and went and caught Charlie Wilsons War. Much better IMO

It wasn't even worth the dollar rental to be honest. Pure crap.

Beaver

Maximum Effort
Reaction score
I thought this was a great monster movie. Odette Yustman is smokin! The dude holding the camera was annoying though.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
This movie was garbage. Completely unlikable characters that you never care if they live or die. And to top it all off, they are stupid. They were so stupid that it ruins the movie.

Hey we just broke into an electronics store. Maybe we should grab some Night Vision goggles or a freaking flashlight. Maybe it would be good to carry ANY sort of weapon. How about someone grab a backpack so we can carry some food and water in case we need to hole up for a couple days.

Oh look, the rats are running from something scary. I say we just continue to walk along in the dark.

Hey Mr. Military guy, before you fly off can you let me borrow your side arm? I am about to go back in the dark, can I have your flashlight?

My all time favorite stupid scene is when the 50 ft tall, multiple ton weighing, monster some how sneaks up over the stupid camera guy in the middle of the park. It was so dumb.

So in short:

Story: I really want to suspend my disbelief in a giant monster movie. Congrats for making that impossible.

Tell us how you really feel. :)

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

So in short:

Couldn't agree more, Chris!!! Only one thing I take exception with..... The movie should have ended in pre-production.....

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

So in short:

Totally agree! Complete garbage!

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
They were so stupid that it ruins the movie.

You must hate horror movies then, if you cant get past characters having flaws and doing something stupid. "Oh no I forget my keys let me run back into house with the murderer in it."

When some big explosion happens who the heck runs for a backpack and starts loading up with food, water, flashlights, and night vision goggles. I know my first thought wouldnt be, "Where is my backpack I got to load up on canned goods and water bottles", that just isnt how 95% of people think during a catastrophe, its chaos in the streets and your head. There is being stupid then there is being completely over the top and unbelieavable and making them look like eagle scouts and retired military guys who are prepared for everything. While they were lookingfor some night vision goggles why not look for a gun store to. That just isnt reality either.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw it last night, I haven't read all 12 pages so I'm assuming someone else pointed this out but there's a bunch of flaws in the storyline.

the one that bugs me immediately is his cell battery is dead so he goes into a store, gets another battery and gets his phone working. I've never bought a replacement battery for a cell phone that didn't require you charge it before you can use it?

I was disappointed with thelack of explanations but it was interesting. There was a lot of Godzilla stuff and the smaller ones were very Pitch Black like.

I discussed it with 2 friends this morning, one loves Lost so I recommended it to her, the other doesn't liek Lost so I didn't recommend it to her.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Saw it last night, I haven't read all 12 pages so I'm assuming someone else pointed this out but there's a bunch of flaws in the storyline.

the one that bugs me immediately is his cell battery is dead so he goes into a store, gets another battery and gets his phone working. I've never bought a replacement battery for a cell phone that didn't require you charge it before you can use it?

I was disappointed with thelack of explanations but it was interesting. There was a lot of Godzilla stuff and the smaller ones were very Pitch Black like.

I discussed it with 2 friends this morning, one loves Lost so I recommended it to her, the other doesn't liek Lost so I didn't recommend it to her.

I've had to buy several replacement batteries over the years and all of them had a little charge. So when I put it in my phone I was able to turn on the phone and use it. I needed to charge it very soon after, but there was always enough juice to make a call or two. I didn't think twice about that sceen because of my expirence.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had to buy several replacement batteries over the years and all of them had a little charge. So when I put it in my phone I was able to turn on the phone and use it. I needed to charge it very soon after, but there was always enough juice to make a call or two. I didn't think twice about that sceen because of my expirence.

Interesting I think I've only had to buy a new battery twice but in both cases it had to be charged before using. To be honest I don't think I tried it I just followed instructions and plugged it in to charge.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You didn't follow the directions.

fail..

:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard