Cloverfield

Mrh182

Jai Guru Deva OM
Reaction score
I saw it lastnight -- it was good.. I'm not a big fan of monster movies for reasons that they people in them are always stupid, but regardlless -- i enjoyed it.

I sat pretty close (not by choice at all) and i kinda got sick at times from the camerawork, but it was good

Fiasco

Tyler Durden
Reaction score
Cloverfield in a nutshell

A big unexplained monster rampages through New York. Smaller unexplained monsters drop of the big unexplained monster. If you get bit by the small monsters something bad (unexplained) happens to you (I assume you die). The big unexplained monster tears up alot of stuff and the military launches lots of bullets, rockets and bombs at the big monster that have (inexplicably) no effect. The government decides to nuke the area to solve the problem. The film ends at the moment of the explosion leaving no reason for anything and no resolution.

IMHO the movie sucked (and that's being kind). No plot with lousy camera work. Essentially, it's Godzilla meets Abercrombie and Fitch filmed by the cameraman from The Blair Witch Project

Word must be getting out because the movie theatre was half full at a primetime showing on Saturday and a good dozen people got up and left 30 minutes into the movie (I assume to go watch "I am Legend" which started 35 minutes after Cloverfield).

At the conclusion of the movie, "That's it????" was repeated throughout the theatre and then some not so nice unprintable commentary followed. I've never seen such a vocal negative reaction to a movie within the theatre before.

Save the $20 and rent it.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score

IMHO the movie sucked (and that's being kind). No plot with lousy camera work. Essentially, it's Godzilla meets Abercrombie and Fitch filmed by the cameraman from The Blair Witch Project

Word must be getting out because the movie theatre was half full at a primetime showing on Saturday and a good dozen people got up and left 30 minutes into the movie (I assume to go watch "I am Legend" which started 35 minutes after Cloverfield).

At the conclusion of the movie, "That's it????" was repeated throughout the theatre and then some not so nice unprintable commentary followed. I've never seen such a vocal negative reaction to a movie within the theatre before.

Wow.

First off, it's getting like a 76% on Rotten, so it's not an overwhemlming majority who don't like it.

Secondly, I knew people would get annoyed over it just ending like it did.

It's a movie based off a fictional home movie...how could it end any different?

It sucks to me that some people get so upset over things not being answered in full. It was a monster movie, it was awesome and it was worth seeing on the big screen.

LOL, "lousy camera work"

It's like you didn't even get what the movie was supposed to be about.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cloverfield Destroying January Records
Source: Box Office Mojo
January 19, 2008

Paramount Pictures' highly-anticipated Cloverfield dominated the box office its first day in theaters with an estimated $16.8 million from 3,411 theaters. Made for just $25 million (plus marketing costs), the J.J. Abrams-produced movie will easily beat the all-time 3-day January weekend record held by "Star Wars: Special Edition" ($35.9 million) and the 4-day Martin Luther King, Jr. weekend record held by Black Hawk Down ($33.6 million). Cloverfield's three-day total should come close to $50 million, and the four-day should surpass the $50 million mark.

Fiasco

Tyler Durden
Reaction score
LOL, "lousy camera work"

It's like you didn't even get what the movie was supposed to be about.

I got what the movie was supposed to be about. Blair Witch was a much better example of an effort in that direction.

Blair Witch came 100% closer to living up to it's hype.

Fiasco

Tyler Durden
Reaction score
Cloverfield Destroying January Records
Source: Box Office Mojo
January 19, 2008

Paramount Pictures' highly-anticipated Cloverfield dominated the box office its first day in theaters with an estimated $16.8 million from 3,411 theaters. Made for just $25 million (plus marketing costs), the J.J. Abrams-produced movie will easily beat the all-time 3-day January weekend record held by "Star Wars: Special Edition" ($35.9 million) and the 4-day Martin Luther King, Jr. weekend record held by Black Hawk Down ($33.6 million). Cloverfield's three-day total should come close to $50 million, and the four-day should surpass the $50 million mark.

No doubt if the projections pan out the studio will be very very happy.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score

A big unexplained monster rampages through New York. Smaller unexplained monsters drop of the big unexplained monster. If you get bit by the small monsters something bad (unexplained) happens to you (I assume you die). The big unexplained monster tears up alot of stuff and the military launches lots of bullets, rockets and bombs at the big monster that have (inexplicably) no effect. The government decides to nuke the area to solve the problem. The film ends at the moment of the explosion leaving no reason for anything and no resolution.

Glad your post was edited. Nice, mature, move there ruining it for people. To be honest, I would have removed your post entirely since 90% of people can't contain themselves when it comes to pressing the "spoiler" button anyways.

So you don't like it? That's fine. But why be an ass and ruin it for everyone? This seems to be the type of movie that you either hate or love. A good portion of my theater, for example, was clapping after it ended and everyone was saying how awesome it was.

Last edited:

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the movie ending was appropriate. I don't think it should have eneded any other way.

I really enjoyed it, my wife got sick though.

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
I got what the movie was supposed to be about. Blair Witch was a much better example of an effort in that direction.

Blair Witch came 100% closer to living up to it's hype.
Everyone has there opinion and my is the exact opposite of yours. Blair Witch was horrible in my eyes. Going into Cloverfield it was pretty easy for me to just pretend I was DoD investigator and this was one file I was to use in my investigation.

If you thought you were going to get answers about the monster well then you don't know how JJ Abrams works.

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
Glad your post was edited. Nice, mature, move there ruining it for people. To be honest, I would have removed your post entirely since 90% of people can't contain themselves when it comes to pressing the "spoiler" button anyways.

So you don't like it? That's fine. But why be an ass and ruin it for everyone? This seems to be the type of movie that you either hate or love. A good portion of my theater, for example, was clapping after it ended and everyone was saying how awesome it was.
yeah really!!! What a Fiasco!!!

:D

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
Movie was terrible. Glad you outed it Fiasco. You will save several couples the 20 bucks. The things that pass for entertainment today are troubleing. My 2 cents.....I left half way thru and went and caught Charlie Wilsons War. Much better IMO

Fiasco

Tyler Durden
Reaction score
Movie was terrible. Glad you outed it Fiasco. You will save several couples the 20 bucks. The things that pass for entertainment today are troubleing. My 2 cents.....I left half way thru and went and caught Charlie Wilsons War. Much better IMO

How was CWW?

Rats

Reaction score
How was CWW?

Had good actors and really was actually worth seeing at the Theater. Loved Hanks in it. A different kind of role for him. Still funny though.

Fiasco

Tyler Durden
Reaction score
Had good actors and really was actually worth seeing at the Theater. Loved Hanks in it. A different kind of role for him. Still funny though.

Here's another spoiler for ya Rats. Hopefully you won't have to go out and experience this first hand either.

Getting kicked in the nuts...

hurts

Rats

Reaction score
Here's another spoiler for ya Rats. Hopefully you won't have to go out and experience this first hand either.

Getting kicked in the nuts...

hurts

Now that is damn funny...Ha....

BirdMan21

Ex-Ex-AP Hype Man
Reaction score
I personally liked the movie, didn't think it was great.....but thought it was visually impressive. What I don't get though is the people here that are intentionally ruining the movie or saying that is ok because they didn't like it. If you don't like the movie thats fine, but there are more than enough people that have liked it that you don't need to go ruin it for others. It was a movie shot from a handheld camera, how did you expect it to end?

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
I personally liked the movie, didn't think it was great.....but thought it was visually impressive. What I don't get though is the people here that are intentionally ruining the movie or saying that is ok because they didn't like it. If you don't like the movie thats fine, but there are more than enough people that have liked it that you don't need to go ruin it for others. It was a movie shot from a handheld camera, how did you expect it to end?

Exactly. People that intentionally ruin movies are, well, ********. There's a TON of people pumped for this movie (me included - ever since seeing the teaser on opening night of Transformers), so ruining it is just ********. I would have been furious if I accidentally read Fiasco's post before it was edited.

Seriously, real mature.