Clippers Blake Griffin Opts out of contract

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eh... there's good arguments to be made either way. I guess I wouldn't hate Griffin on the team if doctors cleared him. It would put us on the map which is step 1 towards relevancy.

And if we have Booker bombing threes with Jackson, Chris's and Blake dunking on fools, that will be super fun to watch.

And I guess the hope is by the time we're good with the youngsters growing up, if Blake is the third or fourth option, that's pretty solid.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Eh... there's good arguments to be made either way. I guess I wouldn't hate Griffin on the team if doctors cleared him. It would put us on the map which is step 1 towards relevancy.

And if we have Booker bombing threes with Jackson, Chris's and Blake dunking on fools, that will be super fun to watch.

And I guess the hope is by the time we're good with the youngsters growing up, if Blake is the third or fourth option, that's pretty solid.

We'd be a nasty team with a lot of attitude. That's for sure.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not when you consider it's a 28 year old who completely relies on his athleticism to make an impact.

Actually... you're right. That's not the right comparison. This is like the Knicks signing Amare Stoudemire.

Making it an even WORSE decision than signing Egde.
Has Blake had microfracture? He has certainly had a lot of nagging injuries, but the old microfracture surgery like Amare had was just a three year stay of execution for the knees.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Not when you consider it's a 28 year old who completely relies on his athleticism to make an impact.

Actually... you're right. That's not the right comparison. This is like the Knicks signing Amare Stoudemire.

Making it an even WORSE decision than signing Egde.
Amare was LITERALLY uninsurable. Blake is not. That's a pretty big difference.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We'd be a nasty team with a lot of attitude. That's for sure.

Again... Blake doesn't bring attitude. He brings bitchiness. I say this having watched the Clippers for five years. No one feared anyone on that team... Paul, DeAndre or Blake.

There's a difference between having attitude and being a bitch. Blake's a bitch, IMO.

But I like the attitude Jackson and Booker bring. Just would be leery of them becoming Blake-like ******* if he's the leader.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Has Blake had microfracture? He has certainly had a lot of nagging injuries, but the old microfracture surgery like Amare had was just a three year stay of execution for the knees.

Yeah, he had it before his rookie season. That's the main reason I don't want to offer him big money.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Yeah, he had it before his rookie season. That's the main reason I don't want to offer him big money.

That was a knee cap surgery not microfracture.

Griffin played for the Clippers' Summer League Team and was named Summer League MVP. In their final preseason game, he injured his kneecap as he landed after a dunk. The day before the 2009–10 seasonstarted, it was confirmed that Griffin had a stress fracture in his left knee, delaying his NBA debut for seven weeks. After resting the stress fracture for several weeks, tests revealed that his knee was not recovering properly. In January 2010, Griffin had surgery on his broken left kneecap causing him to miss the remainder of the 2009–10 season.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That was a knee cap surgery not microfracture.

I could have sworn he had microfracture but now I can't find anything on it. I found an article with Amare giving him advise where he talks about his own microfracture.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...re-can-teach-blake-griffin-after-knee-surgery

He's had multiple surgeries on both of his knees throughout his career, just not a microfracture.

https://www.clipsnation.com/2012/7/23/3180133/new-information-on-blake-griffins-knee-surgery

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Griffin's camp is using us to get a 5 year max offer either from LA or a sign and trade with us. I'm not interested in a 5 year guaranteed contract for him, and I hope we aren't either.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
I think Griffin's camp is using us to get a 5 year max offer either from LA or a sign and trade with us. I'm not interested in a 5 year guaranteed contract for him, and I hope we aren't either.

I agree with you here.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I keep hearing people say that LA is ready to let him go but you may be right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bickley played a clip this morning that was very interesting. The question was, "What is your Mount Rushmore of teams." Blake mentioned the Suns in that group. Said the Suns were like Teddy Roosevelt. Had character.

Said he really likes where the Suns are going and it would be great to get in on it before it all happens so he can say he was there at the beginning.

THAT is very promising.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This sounds like old terrible Cardinals thinking... you know, like when they signed Edge.

It's almost the exact same scenario.
So if we sign him we will get to the finals?

:)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I hate the football analogies. They never translate. The sports are so different.

Griffin is 28. He could easily have another 10 years in the league. When Tyson Chandler was 26, many thought his career was over. People thought the same with Steve Nash and Grant Hill.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate the football analogies. They never translate. The sports are so different.

Griffin is 28. He could easily have another 10 years in the league. When Tyson Chandler was 26, many thought his career was over.

No. When Tyson Chandler was 26, he was just coming off back to back seasons of posting CAREER HIGHS in points and rebounds. But if you really want to go there as far as Chandler having injury concerns that were unfounded, well... you'd be wrong there also. As from age 26 on, he has AVERAGED 20 MISSED GAMES A YEAR. So, bringing up Chandler kinda spits in the face of the idea that Blake could play another 10 years. Sure... he could, but he could also be injury plagued like he has been and Chandler was.

People thought the same with Steve Nash and Grant Hill.

no again. No one thought Nash's career was "over" when he signed with us. they just didn't think he was worth the money we paid for him.

And Grant Hill is not only the exception to the rule, but the risk for getting him was MINIMAL considering he signed for 2 million dollars, not a possible 130 million dollar deal.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
My only gripe with Blake is that he tends to turn into Shawn Marion in big games. Well, injuries are another gripe, I suppose, but if the medical staff signs off on it, I would be fine with signing him. One thing I really like about him is that he has turned into a nice shooter as well as a passer.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard