Clippers Blake Griffin Opts out of contract

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We aren't ready to add a player like Blake yet. We have to get our young players in order and then add the last piece with free agency. I would love to find two star players with what we have first.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
With the Clippers shopping DeAndre Jordan, Chris Paul traded, Blake Griffin probably leaves town, the Clippers could be a whole new team next season by the end of free agency.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
According to Gambo Blake Griffin will be meeting with the Suns
This would be stupid and dumb. We're gonna take minutes away from Chriss/Bender to accompany this.

And yes I just said the same thing about Millsap.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure I see the Edge comparison - Edge was quite clearly past his prime, while Griffin is only 28.

Think you're remembering wrong here Chris.

Edge was only 28, had just come off a season where he put 1506 yard rushing and 377 receiving with 14 TDs and 4.2 ypc average.

But despite those stats he WASN'T the same pre-injury Edge. But no one was saying "he was quite clearly past him prime".

In other words, he was EXACTLY what Blake is now. Puts up nice stats, but isn't close to the same player he used to be... and on top of that, will cost a fortune and is made of freaking glass. They said on the radio today that the toe injury he suffered in the playoffs will likely put him out until DECEMBER.

Oh, and on top of that, Blake's balls shrivel up to pea-size come crunch time.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Think you're remembering wrong here Chris.

Edge was only 28, had just come off a season where he put 1506 yard rushing and 377 receiving with 14 TDs and 4.2 ypc average.

But despite those stats he WASN'T the same pre-injury Edge. But no one was saying "he was quite clearly past him prime".

In other words, he was EXACTLY what Blake is now. Puts up nice stats, but isn't close to the same player he used to be... and on top of that, will cost a fortune and is made of freaking glass. They said on the radio today that the toe injury he suffered in the playoffs will likely put him out until DECEMBER.

Oh, and on top of that, Blake's balls shrivel up to pea-size come crunch time.

Yeah, unfortunately one year removed we never even got a glimpse of that Edge. He was a slightly better Emmitt at that point.

I totally acknowledge the injury thing - as I said, if the docs/training staff don't sign off on it, it's a no go. That said, people said the same thing about Nash/Grant Hill, and they did pretty well with our staff.

His playoff/clutch numbers aren't as bad as people make them out to be - http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/griffbl01.html

I just don't know what people expect we'll get. There aren't a lot of guys that put up 21/10/5 out there, and they almost never become available.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, unfortunately one year removed we never even got a glimpse of that Edge. He was a slightly better Emmitt at that point.

I totally acknowledge the injury thing - as I said, if the docs/training staff don't sign off on it, it's a no go. That said, people said the same thing about Nash/Grant Hill, and they did pretty well with our staff.

His playoff/clutch numbers aren't as bad as people make them out to be - http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/griffbl01.html

I just don't know what people expect we'll get. There aren't a lot of guys that put up 21/10/5 out there, and they almost never become available.

I think people expect to let the young kids grow and not have their development stunted by a SUPER-MAX guy who's going to play 50 games a year, and choke our cap.

And I don't know where you're getting that he's going to give us 10 boards a game. Since injuries took over, he's averaged 8 boards per the last three years. And even going back 5 years, he's at 8.3. That's not impressive in the least from a guy with his size/burst.

And before you say, well, he had DeAndre gobbling up rebounds, the Clippers were CONSISTENTLY out rebounded by their opponents.

You don't SUPER-MAX that guy when you're rebuilding. You just don't unless you continually want to win 40 games from here to eternity.

This is a process... a long process. There's no short-cuts.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I think people expect to let the young kids grow and not have their development stunted by a SUPER-MAX guy who's going to play 50 games a year, and choke our cap.

And I don't know where you're getting that he's going to give us 10 boards a game. Since injuries took over, he's averaged 8 boards per the last three years. And even going back 5 years, he's at 8.3. That's not impressive in the least from a guy with his size/burst.

And before you say, well, he had DeAndre gobbling up rebounds, the Clippers were CONSISTENTLY out rebounded by their opponents.

You don't SUPER-MAX that guy when you're rebuilding. You just don't unless you continually want to win 40 games from here to eternity.

This is a process... a long process. There's no short-cuts.

Who would have their development stunted? He and Chriss could play together, and he plays a completely different position than Jackson. It would probably be better for Bender to come off of the bench anyway.

8+ boards a game isn't bad, and I expect Jackson/Chriss to help with that as well.

I'm fine being patient as well, but I'd be ok if we signed Griffin. (130 million over 4 years is pretty terrifying though)

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score

That's the thing. You don't get to hand pick from every player in the NBA.
Blake is an All Star, a free agent and he is interested in the Suns. How many other players fall into those 3 categories?

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Who would have their development stunted? He and Chriss could play together, and he plays a completely different position than Jackson. It would probably be better for Bender to come off of the bench anyway.

8+ boards a game isn't bad, and I expect Jackson/Chriss to help with that as well.

I'm fine being patient as well, but I'd be ok if we signed Griffin. (130 million over 4 years is pretty terrifying though)

They owe Brandon Knight $45 million for the next 3 years and he is totally useless.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
They owe Brandon Knight $45 million for the next 3 years and he is totally useless.

Pretty amazing that he went from a potential all star to total dead weight. Even more surprising that he couldn't be a good instant offense off the bench guy ala Jamal Crawford.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Signing a guy at Max money who is more brittle than Mr. Glass and literally does NOTHING great, makes no sense to me.

And getting Chriss beaten up at C doesn't sound like a good way to get him prepared to play the 4. That's where his development gets stunted.

And again, do you WANT to be in purgatory forever? That's what signing Griffin does for us now.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the thing. You don't get to hand pick from every player in the NBA.
Blake is an All Star, a free agent and he is interested in the Suns. How many other players fall into those 3 categories?

This sounds like old terrible Cardinals thinking... you know, like when they signed Edge.

It's almost the exact same scenario.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
This sounds like old terrible Cardinals thinking... you know, like when they signed Edge.

Except that there is a minimum cap in the NBA. Aren't they way under the cap? And if they sign a vet now to a four year deal they'll come off the books when it's time to max out all the kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

28 year old rb in nfl quite different than 28 year basketball player. I can understand not being for the move, but that comparison is off.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
They're meeting with Blake AND Milsap on Saturday.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Signing a guy at Max money who is more brittle than Mr. Glass and literally does NOTHING great, makes no sense to me.

And getting Chriss beaten up at C doesn't sound like a good way to get him prepared to play the 4. That's where his development gets stunted.

And again, do you WANT to be in purgatory forever? That's what signing Griffin does for us now.

C'mon cheesey, LITERALLY does nothing great? Did you read the article I posted the other day from the Ringer? https://theringer.com/2017-nba-free-agency-blake-griffin-point-guard-eeae6cd3b18d Blake is one of the best passing big men in HISTORY. for a team that was one of the worst in terms of assists, that alone has a lot of value.

Projections don't look too bad as well - https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/carmelo/blake-griffin/

Regarding Chriss getting beat up, very few teams are running traditional centers out there. If this were 1990, I can see it, but considering the success of the Warriors/Cavs, I doubt many teams will go to the traditional center model. The league is set up for 3's and cutting.

You really think we'd be in purgatory with Griffin? I think his addition to our young core would make us a playoff team. Who cares if we don't compete for a championship right away? At least our young guys could get a taste of winning.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
At the same time? Maybe Watson can ask which one of them would work out better as a point guard, and let them debate it out.
Got me?

Two separate ESPN reports. Dunno if it's same time or not.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They're meeting with Blake AND Milsap on Saturday.

At first glance, the Suns have a backup option in free agency. Perhaps they do not want to be left at the altar again.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
At first glance, the Suns have a backup option in free agency. Perhaps they do not want to be left at the altar again.

I'm not sure who is the backup for whom. By publicly courting both PFs, they're daring each of them to be the one who accepts the offer first.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure who is the backup for whom. By publicly courting both PFs, they're daring each of them to be the one who accepts the offer first.

It's a good point. IMO, the Suns have pursued Millsap for some time now but Griffin is a new addition. I think Griffin is the more ideal candidate due to his age so I think he becomes the #1 option.

It sort of reminds me of the Aldridge situation except the Suns want a backup option this time around.

If the Suns sign either, it means the Suns want to compete for a playoff spot now.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the Suns have to be smart about how much they spend but every team could use vets. I have gone back and forth. He is not going to bring you a ring by adding him during his stay here so part of me says why bother. On the other hand if he manages somehow to stay healthy he could help put the Suns back in the spotlight again which could help attract other players. They can't overspend for him though.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
28 year old rb in nfl quite different than 28 year basketball player. I can understand not being for the move, but that comparison is off.

Not when you consider it's a 28 year old who completely relies on his athleticism to make an impact.

Actually... you're right. That's not the right comparison. This is like the Knicks signing Amare Stoudemire.

Making it an even WORSE decision than signing Egde.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not when you consider it's a 28 year old who completely relies on his athleticism to make an impact.

I'd argue he has done a good job of evolving his game to be effective as his athleticism declines.

He significantly improved his free throw shooting and has extended his range out to the 3 point line.