CBS Projects Vikes Trade Up Costs Including W/Cards

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At some point we have to value on field performance more than contract. Jefferson is arguably the best WR in the NFL. Addison is potentially a solid #2 WR on a team.

I am as against overpaying for mediocre talent as anyone (DJ Humphries)....but if you want elite players you have to pay them. Jefferson is 24 years old and he is an all pro. If he is going to commande 5 years, 150 million...then so be it. The cap always goes up. Restructuring is always an option, etc.

If hes on the table....along with picks....then Im taking that deal. I wouldn't just trade #4 straight up for him..but for #11 and Jefferson...yes Im taking that deal.

We could take someone like Keon Coleman late in the 1st and have one of the best WR rooms in the entire NFL overnight.
Or you just stay put and take MHJ who is highly likely to be an equal or close to equal talent as Jefferson. Then have 4 full years of cost control. Then package #27 and a couple of those thirds and move up if you want.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Or you just stay put and take MHJ who is highly likely to be an equal or close to equal talent as Jefferson. Then have 4 full years of cost control. Then package #27 and a couple of those thirds and move up if you want.
Or take the sure thing, we have plenty of Cap space and then use a 3rd round pick to move up from 11 to get the best edge in this draft.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Eh that's a projection. A guaranteed All Pro is worth a lot.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I posted this in another thread, if we take the trade of 11 and 23 this year and a 1st rd next year I would have to do it.
Name a non qb that you would trade 3 first round picks for.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I posted this in another thread, if we take the trade of 11 and 23 this year and a 1st rd next year I would have to do it.
Name a non qb that you would trade 3 first round picks for.
It's 2 first round net once you figure in they're getting the #4 pick. 23 this year and nest year's #1, which we've learned not to count on that being a high pick.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's 2 first round net once you figure in they're getting the #4 pick. 23 this year and nest year's #1, which we've learned not to count on that being a high pick.
Thanks for cleaning up my sketchy math. Vikings do have a good roster and proven coaching staff. I would expect late teens/early twenties but you never know.
I just really like the thought of 3 1st rd picks (11,23,27) this year and 2 next year. Imo that's how you excelarate the rebuild.

Fitz4Ever

Veteran
Reaction score
We are getting way ahead of ourselves saying MHJ is going to be equal to Jefferson...who has already proven himself in the NFL. Yes...all signs point to MHJ being very good, but there have been lots of "sure things" that havent worked out.

If you get a shot at a sure thing...AND a draft pick that still allows us to add a premier talent...then its very very tempting.

Cost control is nice, but its not everything. The cap doesnt really matter. Its not like we are trying to sign other big names, or even resign any of our own big names at this point. You could give Jefferson all of our remaining cap space in year 1...and have the amount taper down over the course of the contract. Again...having a bunch of future picks doesnt win games...and having a bunch of cap space for Free Agents that arent interested in coming here doesnt matter.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want to see what the offer is including Jefferson. I'd probably take that deal if it were anything good. (27+Jefferson+Day 2 pick)

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want to see what the offer is including Jefferson. I'd probably take that deal if it were anything good. (swap picks of 11/27+Jefferson+Day 2 pick)
We already have 27

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We already have 27
I meant a swap of 11 and 27. I tried to edit it quickly before someone found out. I failed.

The point is that I would make the price so high, that it wouldn't make sense for them.

It does bring up a fascinating point though. If CBS projects that we would get less for our trade this year, than last year, does that mean that we got a smoking deal last year?

Last edited:

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Addison would be a good replacement for Hollywood Brown and a quality #2 WR. Cards would still need a true #1 WR.
See I just don't agree that Addison can't be a number 1.

He performed very well in year 1, and it is extremely rare receivers don't get significantly better in year 2 and 3.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
i have to admire the expectations for what the Vikes will trade to get #4

if the Vikes wanted to trade Justin Jefferson -- they are getting multiple picks back for him

i would trade #4 overall for him right now
You would probably be the only one.

He's great, but having to pay him 30+ million a year when you can get one of the big 3 who have a good chance of being nearly as good on 5 years of control is not a deal any GM would make.

Have you not paid attention how low a price established receivers have been traded for in the last few years? I get that Justin Jefferson might be the best one to hit the market but even so he isn't fetching the number 4 especially when the Cards have all the leverage.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
You would probably be the only one.

He's great, but having to pay him 30+ million a year when you can get one of the big 3 who have a good chance of being nearly as good on 5 years of control is not a deal any GM would make.

Have you not paid attention how low a price established receivers have been traded for in the last few years? I get that Justin Jefferson might be the best one to hit the market but even so he isn't fetching the number 4 especially when the Cards have all the leverage.

Stefon Diggs is a decent comp, and the Bills signed him to a high dollar extension:

On March 20, 2020, the Vikings traded Diggs and their seventh round draft pick to the Buffalo Bills for their first, fifth, and sixth round picks in the 2020 NFL draft, in addition to a fourth round pick in the 2021 NFL draft (Janarius Robinson).

and i would argue that Jefferson is a far, far better WR today vs his peers than Diggs was back then

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Stefon Diggs is a decent comp, and the Bills signed him to a high dollar extension:

On March 20, 2020, the Vikings traded Diggs and their seventh round draft pick to the Buffalo Bills for their first, fifth, and sixth round picks in the 2020 NFL draft, in addition to a fourth round pick in the 2021 NFL draft (Janarius Robinson).

and i would argue that Jefferson is a far, far better WR today vs his peers than Diggs was back then
The difference in value from #4 and #22 is huge. A fifth and a sixth hardly make up for it.

But the difference between a #4 where a QB is available is even greater - probably 50% greater in value than a normal #4 pick. Now if we have two or more teams interested - supposedly both the Giants and Vikings are the value goes even higher.

#11 and Jefferson would be the minimum to even consider a deal.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Hard no to any of those CBS scenarios. I'm giving them a QB at #4 for that. You have to over pay for those. I really don't want to trade with the Vikings at all since we won't get MHJ or Odunze. The only thing the Viking are going to hopefully do is help drive up the price that the Giants have to pay if they want to move.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
i am mentally preparing myself for:

Monti trades down with NYG to #5 and gets a #47. Board proclaims he is a genius.

Takes Dallas Turner at #5. Board is burning Monti in effigy, wishes Keim were still here.

Packages #27, #35 and #71 to Atlanta at #7 to take Odunze. Back to genius.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
i am mentally preparing myself for:

Monti trades down with NYG to #5 and gets a #47. Board proclaims he is a genius.

Takes Dallas Turner at #5. Board is burning Monti in effigy, wishes Keim were still here.

Packages #27, #35 and #71 to Atlanta at #7 to take Odunze. Back to genius.
That's still burning a lot of capital for me.