Carson Palmer wants out of Cincy?

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Palmer is due $50M over the next 4 years. Averages $12M per year. Does anyone think the Bidwills would be willing to make this deal? Especially when they were loathe to give Warner $11M a year?

Pete Carroll, his USC coach, probably would.

However, if the Seahawks trade for Palmer, that may make us players for Matt Hasselbeck.

Any takers on Hasselbeck for a year or two?

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Too fragile for a Cardinal QB. We definitely need a guy that can get out of the pocket or that can take a beating. A QB that can do both (hopefully Skelton) is what the Cards really need. That's why I am still riding in the Camwagon. I want a long and positive future at our QB spot.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Carson Palmer has been Matt's sounding board from the very beginning. They worked out together, and talked to each other every day through the ordeal.

Who's side do you think he's on?

Arizona is not a desired destination.

If Carson cares about things such as you know, his career, Arizona would make a lot of sense what with proximity to home, Fitz, being in a dome etc.

Saying that my guess is Palmer goes to Seattle and Matt Hasselbeck ends up here.

EDIT: Wait a minute....I think I just realized who Conquest is. If I am right there maybe some validity to their thoughts;)

Last edited:

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Palmer is due $50M over the next 4 years. Averages $12M per year. Does anyone think the Bidwills would be willing to make this deal? Especially when they were loathe to give Warner $11M a year?

Absolutely zero doubt in my mind they would pay a good 31 year old QB that much money per year. Especially with it being 2 years later including inflation since the the 37 year old(at the time) Warner deal. Especially since none of it is guaranteed.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score

Pete Carroll, his USC coach, probably would.

However, if the Seahawks trade for Palmer, that may make us players for Matt Hasselbeck.

Didn't read this post before I put in my two cents. I could DEFINITELY see the Cardinals making a play for Hasselbeck. I would prefer the upside of Palmer though.

Conquest

Rookie
Reaction score
LOL fracking USC fans get pissed because their boy Leinart was soft and couln't make it and then want to paint broad sweeps of the brush. Earth to USC fans: Leinart was the issue. Not the Cardinals organization. Get a grip.

If Carson cares about things such as you know, his career, Arizona would make a lot of sense what with proximity to home, Fitz, being in a dome etc.

Saying that my guess is Palmer goes to Seattle and Matt Hasselbeck ends up here.

EDIT: Wait a minute....I think I just realized who Conquest is. If I am right there maybe some validity to their thoughts;)

Can't send you a pm!

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No way I want Palmer here.. His arm is a noodle now.. Let the 49ers take him..

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
He threw for almost 4000 yards and 26 TD's this past year and completed over 60% of his passes. You wouldn't want that? He has never completed less than 60% of his passes in any full year of playing in the NFL. Plus he's playing Balt and Pitt twice a year. This year his schedule also included playoff teams NE, Jets, Indy, NO, and two of the better defenses that didn't make the playoff in SD and Miami.

I consider Carson Palmer the best of the retread options. In Fact.... I have had a ton of time to watch him and Cbus is 100% correct. He played some really tough teams this year. And his stats speak for themselves. In our perfect conditions, I could easily see 65% completions or higher. And the Gun/Deep ball skills are top end.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Like cbus and any I agree that Palmer's the most attractive option, but it's cost dependent.
Like others I've seen a game or two of his this year and he seems to be running hot/cold.
I think a change of scenery will do wonders for him.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
So if Palmer doesn't like the coaching staff, maybe he is a bit too much of a prima donna than we want here anyways. I definitely read that as he has talked to Raplesberger and come to his conclusion that Whiz will be too mean for his taste.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
So if Palmer doesn't like the coaching staff, maybe he is a bit too much of a prima donna than we want here anyways. I definitely read that as he has talked to Raplesberger and come to his conclusion that Whiz will be too mean for his taste.

The poster was takling about the Leinart situation as a reason he wouldn't want to come.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The poster was takling about the Leinart situation as a reason he wouldn't want to come.

I think that some fans mistakenly believe that NFL players take the business of football more personally than they really do. Palmer would not turn down playing in Arizona because of Matt Leinart. He may take a more lucrative offer somewhere else as it is about money more often than not.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Well, that is basically the same thing. If that is true, to me that means Palmer doesn't have the balls to come in here and compete, basically.

Not really. If you were thinking of chnaging jobs and one of your close friends who had worked their previously had said the boss is a real azzhole, wouldn't that make you pause?

Not saying thats the case or even if Palmer would listen to Matt in this situation, but to think the players dont talk and share their experiences and thats a factor in player choices is naive.

At the end of the day hes not a free agent though, and its going to come down to who offers the best trade to the Bungels and looks like of the suitors, we would have the highest second round pick. Maybe Seattle is willing to give up #27 though?

If we are going to spend a 2nd, I would rather spend it on Palmer then Orton though.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Not really. If you were thinking of chnaging jobs and one of your close friends who had worked their previously had said the boss is a real azzhole, wouldn't that make you pause?
I'd go work for a boss I liked. That would likely be Pete Carrol.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

Not saying thats the case or even if Palmer would listen to Matt in this situation, but to think the players dont talk and share their experiences and thats a factor in player choices is naive.

At the end of the day hes not a free agent though, and its going to come down to who offers the best trade to the Bungels and looks like of the suitors, we would have the highest second round pick. Maybe Seattle is willing to give up #27 though?

If we are going to spend a 2nd, I would rather spend it on Palmer then Orton though.

Wow, I really wouldn't. Orton is 3 years younger, much less injury history, and threw for only 318 less yards in 2010 than Palmer in 3 less games. Not only that, but in 3 less games Orton threw for only 6 less touchdowns (20) and more importantly 11 less int's (9) than Palmer.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Wow, I really wouldn't. Orton is 3 years younger, much less injury history, and threw for only 318 less yards in 2010 than Palmer in 3 less games. Not only that, but in 3 less games Orton threw for only 6 less touchdowns (20) and more importantly 11 less int's (9) than Palmer.
Tasty stats, I also agree Orton is a little tougher.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score

I am taking a bigger picture view then just comparing this past season.

Palmer has actually led his team to the playoffs twice (in a MUCH tougher division) at one point was the 3rd best QB in the league, and is now a good 3-4 years removed from his devastating knee surgery.

If you look at the Kurt Warner corrollary I want the player who when things were good, they were REALLY GOOD. Thats the guy you take a chance on.

You take Palmer away from that wretched organization with its primadonna WR's and he is likely to reset and have success again in favorable conditions IMO (which we have here). Lord knows he has the arm and accuracy we want.

He hasn't been the same player for a few years now, but I blame that more on playing Pitt and Baltimore every year and playing for the Bengals. At least thats the gamble I would take.

Everyone realizes Kyle Orton ISN'T bringing Josh McDaniels with him right? Ortons numbers are inflated for that very reason. I blame the perception of him being a good player on fantasy football because through the first 8 games he was like the 2nd highest rated QB and everyone was bugging their eyes out and saying how underatted he was, throwing out the fact that he was llike 2-6 in that same span.

Anyone want to bet he won't be ever get half of the numbers he got this year again?

Could be wrong but JMHO.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would trade for Palmer giving our 2nd pick this year. He is just 31 years old.
He would do well with our team throwing to Fitz. Fitz would resign for sure with Palmer as our qb (of course the contract $$$'s must be right).

However, I just don't see Marvin Lewis letting him go especially since they have no backup at all. This will be interesting to watch.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I would trade for Palmer giving our 2nd pick this year. He is just 31 years old.
He would do well with our team throwing to Fitz. Fitz would resign for sure with Palmer as our qb (of course the contract $$$'s must be right).

However, I just don't see Marvin Lewis letting him go especially since they have no backup at all. This will be interesting to watch.

Unless there is a CBA prior to the draft it would have to be a 2nd in 2012. It's not really Lewis' call in the end, if Palmer is prepared to sit out.

Conquest

Rookie
Reaction score
Unless there is a CBA prior to the draft it would have to be a 2nd in 2012. It's not really Lewis' call in the end, if Palmer is prepared to sit out.

Or pull a Jake Plummer.

Carson comes from success, and he's invested his money well, he can go where he wishes...or not.

Word is that 8 teams showing interest, including Arizona..can't verify that though.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
2012 second rounder for Carson Palmer?

I would do that in a heartbeat.

You have to figure with competent QB play we will finish at least 8-8 so that pick will probably be in the mid 40s range.

If you can get a player that can take you back to the playoffs for a 2nd rounder, you have to go for it.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort