Carson Palmer: No ‘major areas of concern’ for Cardinals’ Kyler Murray

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's not really a statistical analysis. I'd expect our defense to be better based on the personnel and experience level.

I thought so too. Maybe the loss of Peterson on this defense is a lot more glaring that it might appear.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
You can't have a QB who is having "flashes/good games" and blame that fluctuation on the players around him. When Kyler has played well, the offense has done well. When Kyler has played poorly, the offense has been poor. Those other 10 players are not really good and really bad intermittently. They are largely who they are. The only player whose play has really fluctuated this year has been Kyler Murray. That is on him.

I totally agree. The offense is living and dying with Murray.

The offensive line was touted as an absolute dumpster fire by some on this board. They are playing around the level I thought they would, even with Gilbert hurt.

The receivers have had their moments, but overall a huge disappointment. Kirk catches that pass, it's a different game. Sherfield catches that pass, it's a different game.

I expected Murray to put up big numbers but for the team to lose a lot. This is exactly what I expected, but I think the Carolina game was such a let down because Murray showed glimpses against BMore that made me think he'd fair better against the Panthers.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Sure. That's one way to look at it. The offensive line has been HORRENDOUS the entire year, and yet somehow Klyer has been able to overcome that at times. When Kyler has been playing poorly, in large part due to the offensive line. There are probably only a couple of QBs right now that could have been able to perform better than Kyler with this line.

Our line has been bad, FOR DECADES. I'm not a Kyler apologist. He, and this offense still has quite a lot of work to do. It starts with the offensive line, then lack of a running game, then the play calling, and then Kyler. Ultimately, all of the blame will be on Kingsbury and Murray until it gets better, because that is how it always is.

You know I'm a Murray fan, but pass blocking has been adequate enough that most veteran QBs would be playing fairly well.

Palmer generally played with the same quality of offensive line you are seeing Murray play behind. Teams are coming after Murray.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
That's BS. He had zero time in the pocket Sunday and actually saved numerous sacks with his ability to move. What I saw was him take a couple of solid hits (mainly the one where he slid and someone hit him from behind on a short run) and constantly under ridiculously quick pressure. Towards the end of the game it was pretty obvious he was rushing things and frustrated, but he's a ROOKIE IN HIS 3RD GAME! The offensive line play is horrendous, and sadly our WR's aren't helping him as much as they should be. Kirk and Sheffield both had big drops, Edmonds had a drop on what would have been a nice gain in the flat at one point, just to name a few. The clear issues with this team are O-line, and secondary.
Nonsense.So your blinders are on and you refuse to see warts in KMs play.He isn't perfect and has areas to improve on.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know I'm a Murray fan, but pass blocking has been adequate enough that most veteran QBs would be playing fairly well.

Palmer generally played with the same quality of offensive line you are seeing Murray play behind. Teams are coming after Murray.

I strongly disagree with you. Murray is actually running for his life, and making the line look better than it is, because of how mobile he is. Put most veterans QBs out there, and they will struggle.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Inexperience is a problem. Is a certain level to be expected from him yes, but again, that doesn't mean it isn't negatively impacting our team.

Somers did a review of the game and said the protection was pretty good until Carolina went up 15 after the Murray pick. Many on this board watched the game and felt the same. Murray's poor pocket mechanics hurt the offensive line as much if not more than his mobility helped them.

What is frustrating is some on this board's refusal to acknowledge that QBs are largely responsible for the success and failure of their own play. For a little under 3 quarters our offense was running very well and not shockingly, Murray's play was very good. Then, when Murray went to crap, so did the offense. This has been a theme so far this year. What is laughable is that people on here assert that the overall play of the offensive line, RB, WRs and the playcalling are all good when Murray is playing well, but are all insurmountable issues when he is playing bad. Maybe, as it is with almost 31 other teams in the NFL, it is Murray's level of play that makes the play of the WRs, RBs, OL and the play-calling good or bad.

Some simply refuse to see or admit KM isn't consistent and has flaws that have shown up.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
I strongly disagree with you. Murray is actually running for his life, and making the line look better than it is, because of how mobile he is. Put most veterans QBs out there, and they will struggle.

16 sacks and 3 interception after 3 games are not what was expected.When KM is able to play a consistent 4 quarters and learn to throw it away things will be bettet happened to the pocket presence and magic elusiveness to avoid sacks?That has not showed up yet.Until KM show consistent smart play for 4 quarters he will be part of the issues with this team .

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
16 sacks and 3 interception after 3 games are not what was expected.When KM is able to play a consistent 4 quarters and learn to throw it away things will be bettet happened to the pocket presence and magic elusiveness to avoid sacks?That has not showed up yet.Until KM show consistent smart play for 4 quarters he will be part of the issues with this team .

I can't argue that he has taken some sacks that he shouldn't have, and that he has to play better. With that said, Kyler has played well for most of his 3 games, stellar in the 4th quarter in 1 of the games, and really bad in another one. Any rookie has these types of performances. Hell, veteran QBs have stretches like that.

My point, the sky isn't falling in regards to Kyler.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally, I think the offensive line play has been better than we expected. I expected more glaring holes and penalties for holding/false starts.

KM isn't getting blasted by a defender bursting through a broken line. Most of his sacks are because he didn't throw the ball away, fell down, spun and fell down, or ran out of bounds for negative yardage.

Not knocking him - it's actually encouraging, IMHO. Those actions can be corrected with coaching.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
I can't argue that he has taken some sacks that he shouldn't have, and that he has to play better. With that said, Kyler has played well for most of his 3 games, stellar in the 4th quarter in 1 of the games, and really bad in another one. Any rookie has these types of performances. Hell, veteran QBs have stretches like that.

My point, the sky isn't falling in regards to Kyler.
Never said the sky is falling.I am just saying that he has some issues that have shown up and until those are fixed it is a problem that pops up at times.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I totally agree. The offense is living and dying with Murray.

The offensive line was touted as an absolute dumpster fire by some on this board. They are playing around the level I thought they would, even with Gilbert hurt.

The receivers have had their moments, but overall a huge disappointment. Kirk catches that pass, it's a different game. Sherfield catches that pass, it's a different game.

I expected Murray to put up big numbers but for the team to lose a lot. This is exactly what I expected, but I think the Carolina game was such a let down because Murray showed glimpses against BMore that made me think he'd fair better against the Panthers.
I think the Panther's strengths and game plan made it highly unlikely for Kyler to have a big game statistically.

They specifically like to give teams short routes and believe in the defenders to make the necessary tackles.

Murray did exactly the right thing by hitting a bunch of underneath routes and that is why he was like 28-36 to start the game and the main two reasons the yardage total was really low was due to drops and guys not being able to make plays after the catch.

He started playing poorly after that point, but that is because they got behind and he/Kliff started to try and push the ball down the field instead of taking what was working the rest of the game in going underneath.

As to the offensive line, they may be playing to your expectations, but that is equalling them playing like a bottom 3-4 offensive line in the league.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think the Panther's strengths and game plan made it highly unlikely for Kyler to have a big game statistically.

They specifically like to give teams short routes and believe in the defenders to make the necessary tackles.

Murray did exactly the right thing by hitting a bunch of underneath routes and that is why he was like 28-36 to start the game and the main two reasons the yardage total was really low was due to drops and guys not being able to make plays after the catch.

He started playing poorly after that point, but that is because they got behind and he/Kliff started to try and push the ball down the field instead of taking what was working the rest of the game in going underneath.

As to the offensive line, they may be playing to your expectations, but that is equalling them playing like a bottom 3-4 offensive line in the league.
Kyle Allen playing so well throughout the game has overshadowed just how well Kyler played until the end of the 3rd Qrt.

He was a Kirk drop and Sherfield drop from putting up another 7 to 11 points on the board. That changes the game tremendously and he doesnt feel the need to press against a team that will may you pay for that.

I think the lesson in both 4th Qrts (Ravens/Panthers) when down 1 score in the 4th....run the ball.

We already play fast. We don't need to push the ball down the field. Just take whats there and get the running game going. The defense should be a bit winded from the pace. So its better to take the positive yards instead of putting us in a position for a negative play.

Last edited:

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
What was Carson suppose to say? It wouldn't surprise me if he said similar things about Rosen early in the year.

With that said, I'm not concerned with KM yet. If the bad things he does continue later in the season I will be. I wasn't a fan of the pick but he has done well enough that I don't have a problem waiting to see how it goes as the year progresses.

What I am more concerned with on the offense is KKs playbook. It isn't terrible, but it is not as advertised and compared to the playcalling you see with the better offenses out there it looks pretty bland and will probably only get easier to defend. It looks like a game of checkers and not chess and people are wondering why our receivers have trouble getting open.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Sure. That's one way to look at it. The offensive line has been HORRENDOUS the entire year, and yet somehow Klyer has been able to overcome that at times. When Kyler has been playing poorly, in large part due to the offensive line. There are probably only a couple of QBs right now that could have been able to perform better than Kyler with this line.

Our line has been bad, FOR DECADES. I'm not a Kyler apologist. He, and this offense still has quite a lot of work to do. It starts with the offensive line, then lack of a running game, then the play calling, and then Kyler. Ultimately, all of the blame will be on Kingsbury and Murray until it gets better, because that is how it always is.

I way, WAY disagree with your take. I can't count the number of times KM took a sack or scrambled for an incompletion/loss of yards because he ran backwards INTO the pass rush. Even when protection isn't perfect, a savvy QB can step up in the pocket, avoid the edge rush, and buy himself an extra second or two. KM largely doesn't have that in his game yet. It reminds me of some of the frustration I had with Plummer, especially early on. Ant this is early on for KM. It's not a huge problem because he's a rook who can learn. He just isn't an unblemished rook who bears none of the blame.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
One thing that's hurting him on some sacks, other than the OL being not that good, is the fact he runs backwards rather than stepping up in the pocket. Hopefully he will correct this?

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Once we were down 15 the running game was for the most part abandon allowing the defense to pin their ears back and focus on getting to the quarterback. Obviously there were a few times when KM seemed to slip or stumble on his own. I would imagine nerves might contribute to this since his reputation alone would discount it being a mechanical issue.

There are however several sacks where immediate pressure of the edges forced KM to try and roll backwards to one side or the other resulting in sacks. This might be a bad habit that can be corrected. However if you're trying to teach any QB how to handle immediate pressure off the edge, you are only putting a band aid on a much bigger problem (the oline). That being said I'm excited for our birds, although losing sucks I do see a little at the end of the tunnel.

Watching the game Sunday as soon as we went down 15, I told my wife we're in trouble now because the defense is going to tee off on Murray.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing that's hurting him on some sacks, other than the OL being not that good, is the fact he runs backwards rather than stepping up in the pocket. Hopefully he will correct this?

He is also taking sacks stepping forward and looking to run through holes.

He is also taking sacks stepping forward and slipping.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
But what about the receivers unable to get separation?
In the NFL you have to throw players open. When Kyler is missing in games, and his accuracy is pretty good, they are not close misses. For example, in the drive after the McCaffery TD, Kyler missed DJ on first down badly. That put the Cardinals in 2nd and long which he was unable to handle. Kyler sometimes struggles to identify when he needs to just take what the defense is giving him.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I disagree. There have only been a two or three times each game where Kyler has used his athleticism to get away from rushing defenders. Vet QBs either audible to a hot route, just throw the ball away or eat the sack in those similar situations.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I way, WAY disagree with your take. I can't count the number of times KM took a sack or scrambled for an incompletion/loss of yards because he ran backwards INTO the pass rush. Even when protection isn't perfect, a savvy QB can step up in the pocket, avoid the edge rush, and buy himself an extra second or two. KM largely doesn't have that in his game yet. It reminds me of some of the frustration I had with Plummer, especially early on. Ant this is early on for KM. It's not a huge problem because he's a rook who can learn. He just isn't an unblemished rook who bears none of the blame.

I'm sure the truth is somewhere between our stances. There wasn't a big pocket to step up into, because the pocket was collapsing in less than 2 seconds. Again, I'm referring to the 4th quarter. Most of the first half, the line was at least adequate.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree. There have only been a two or three times each game where Kyler has used his athleticism to get away from rushing defenders. Vet QBs either audible to a hot route, just throw the ball away or eat the sack in those similar situations.

It happened many more times than 2 or 3 per game. We disagree so we can just leave it at that. :)

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the NFL you have to throw players open. When Kyler is missing in games, and his accuracy is pretty good, they are not close misses. For example, in the drive after the McCaffery TD, Kyler missed DJ on first down badly. That put the Cardinals in 2nd and long which he was unable to handle. Kyler sometimes struggles to identify when he needs to just take what the defense is giving him.

That I cannot argue at all. He has missed opened receivers on at least 4 or 5 occasions that I can remember.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's not easy to forget when it was a concern of your when he was a draft prospect. He is not anywhere near the polished, ready-to-go starter that he was billed as. That isn't Murray's fault, but that also doesn't make it untrue.
So you would’ve passed on him and went with Rosen? Tell me how much better things would be.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard