Carson Palmer: No ‘major areas of concern’ for Cardinals’ Kyler Murray

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Carson Palmer: No ‘major areas of concern’ for Cardinals’ Kyler Murray

https://arizonasports.com/story/209...-areas-of-concern-for-cardinals-kyler-murray/

Big sacks taken and two interceptions thrown shouldn’t raise red flags about Arizona Cardinals rookie quarterback Kyler Murray, according to one of his predecessors.

Former Arizona quarterback Carson Palmer doesn’t “see any major areas of concern” out of Murray through three winless weeks of the No. 1 overall pick’s career.

“I don’t see a bunch of turnovers, I don’t see issues in the pocket with ball security, I don’t see really bad decisions,” Palmer told Doug & Wolf on 98.7 FM Arizona’s Sports Station.

“I know it wasn’t a great statistical day, but we’re seeing him figure things out. I felt like yesterday we were watching him kind of get a feel for how he can run in this league. For the first time, he really kind of got outside of the pocket and tested his speed versus the speed of the NFL. I really like what we’re seeing from him from that standpoint.”

“We got to keep things in perspective,” Palmer said. “This is Week 3 for a guy that didn’t play four years (of) college football.”

- Audio at the link

HGC

All Star
Reaction score
Company man Carson. Just kidding. Murray has been fine considering what he’s playing with. He’s not setting the league on fire like some are saying but he’s shown a lot of potential and done some nice things. My biggest concern for Murray are Kingsbury and Keim.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I’m not concerned at all about the guy. And we already knew the trenches were going to be a problem. Again you can’t draft everyone.

but you can stock the roster with quality talent, particularly first round picks, with eight seasons of drafts....

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Murray is the least of our problems.
Our tackles are gettin juked, our dline is getting stood up and are safeties have no idea what they are doing or where there are supposed to be and our depth receivers are dropping catches.
He might not be the main problem but he is still one of the problems until he stops taking dumb sacks or throwing interceptions and starts playing 4 quarters consistently and doesn`t belly up like late in the Carolina game.Thats reality .

BleedRed

Registered
Reaction score
He might not be the main problem but he is still one of the problems until he stops taking dumb sacks or throwing interceptions and starts playing 4 quarters consistently and doesn`t belly up like late in the Carolina game.Thats reality .

That's BS. He had zero time in the pocket Sunday and actually saved numerous sacks with his ability to move. What I saw was him take a couple of solid hits (mainly the one where he slid and someone hit him from behind on a short run) and constantly under ridiculously quick pressure. Towards the end of the game it was pretty obvious he was rushing things and frustrated, but he's a ROOKIE IN HIS 3RD GAME! The offensive line play is horrendous, and sadly our WR's aren't helping him as much as they should be. Kirk and Sheffield both had big drops, Edmonds had a drop on what would have been a nice gain in the flat at one point, just to name a few. The clear issues with this team are O-line, and secondary.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
That's BS. He had zero time in the pocket Sunday and actually saved numerous sacks with his ability to move. What I saw was him take a couple of solid hits (mainly the one where he slid and someone hit him from behind on a short run) and constantly under ridiculously quick pressure. Towards the end of the game it was pretty obvious he was rushing things and frustrated, but he's a ROOKIE IN HIS 3RD GAME! The offensive line play is horrendous, and sadly our WR's aren't helping him as much as they should be. Kirk and Sheffield both had big drops, Edmonds had a drop on what would have been a nice gain in the flat at one point, just to name a few. The clear issues with this team are O-line, and secondary.
Inexperience is a problem. Is a certain level to be expected from him yes, but again, that doesn't mean it isn't negatively impacting our team.

Somers did a review of the game and said the protection was pretty good until Carolina went up 15 after the Murray pick. Many on this board watched the game and felt the same. Murray's poor pocket mechanics hurt the offensive line as much if not more than his mobility helped them.

What is frustrating is some on this board's refusal to acknowledge that QBs are largely responsible for the success and failure of their own play. For a little under 3 quarters our offense was running very well and not shockingly, Murray's play was very good. Then, when Murray went to crap, so did the offense. This has been a theme so far this year. What is laughable is that people on here assert that the overall play of the offensive line, RB, WRs and the playcalling are all good when Murray is playing well, but are all insurmountable issues when he is playing bad. Maybe, as it is with almost 31 other teams in the NFL, it is Murray's level of play that makes the play of the WRs, RBs, OL and the play-calling good or bad.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Inexperience is a problem. Is a certain level to be expected from him yes, but again, that doesn't mean it isn't negatively impacting our team.

Somers did a review of the game and said the protection was pretty good until Carolina went up 15 after the Murray pick. Many on this board watched the game and felt the same. Murray's poor pocket mechanics hurt the offensive line as much if not more than his mobility helped them.

What is frustrating is some on this board's refusal to acknowledge that QBs are largely responsible for the success and failure of their own play. For a little under 3 quarters our offense was running very well and not shockingly, Murray's play was very good. Then, when Murray went to crap, so did the offense. This has been a theme so far this year. What is laughable is that people on here assert that the overall play of the offensive line, RB, WRs and the playcalling are all good when Murray is playing well, but are all insurmountable issues when he is playing bad. Maybe, as it is with almost 31 other teams in the NFL, it is Murray's level of play that makes the play of the WRs, RBs, OL and the play-calling good or bad.

It was also the criticism of Josh Rosen that he didn't make the players around him better.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Murray is the least of our problems.
Our tackles are gettin juked, our dline is getting stood up and are safeties have no idea what they are doing or where there are supposed to be and our depth receivers are dropping catches.

Exactly. Our defense is hot garbage. At least Kyler has shown flashes/had good games. Chandler had been absent until last game and nobody else on defense has been all that impressive. Our defense can't get off of the field. If this team has problems, (and it does) Kyler isn't even in the top 10 right now.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Exactly. Our defense is hot garbage. At least Kyler has shown flashes/had good games. Chandler had been absent until last game and nobody else on defense has been all that impressive. Our defense can't get off of the field. If this team has problems, (and it does) Kyler isn't even in the top 10 right now.
Chandler was great in the opener as well.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
You can't have a QB who is having "flashes/good games" and blame that fluctuation on the players around him. When Kyler has played well, the offense has done well. When Kyler has played poorly, the offense has been poor. Those other 10 players are not really good and really bad intermittently. They are largely who they are. The only player whose play has really fluctuated this year has been Kyler Murray. That is on him.

BleedRed

Registered
Reaction score

Once we were down 15 the running game was for the most part abandon allowing the defense to pin their ears back and focus on getting to the quarterback. Obviously there were a few times when KM seemed to slip or stumble on his own. I would imagine nerves might contribute to this since his reputation alone would discount it being a mechanical issue.

There are however several sacks where immediate pressure of the edges forced KM to try and roll backwards to one side or the other resulting in sacks. This might be a bad habit that can be corrected. However if you're trying to teach any QB how to handle immediate pressure off the edge, you are only putting a band aid on a much bigger problem (the oline). That being said I'm excited for our birds, although losing sucks I do see a little at the end of the tunnel.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Jordan Palmer said on Cowherd that when you don't turn around and hand the ball off to the RB (to get 4 yards) it becomes incredibly tough to be consistent. Lack of consistent running leads to being stuck in either big plays or bad plays.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can't have a QB who is having "flashes/good games" and blame that fluctuation on the players around him. When Kyler has played well, the offense has done well. When Kyler has played poorly, the offense has been poor. Those other 10 players are not really good and really bad intermittently. They are largely who they are. The only player whose play has really fluctuated this year has been Kyler Murray. That is on him.

Sure. That's one way to look at it. The offensive line has been HORRENDOUS the entire year, and yet somehow Klyer has been able to overcome that at times. When Kyler has been playing poorly, in large part due to the offensive line. There are probably only a couple of QBs right now that could have been able to perform better than Kyler with this line.

Our line has been bad, FOR DECADES. I'm not a Kyler apologist. He, and this offense still has quite a lot of work to do. It starts with the offensive line, then lack of a running game, then the play calling, and then Kyler. Ultimately, all of the blame will be on Kingsbury and Murray until it gets better, because that is how it always is.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Our offense is 27th in DVOA; our defense is 22nd. Our special teams is in the top 10. I thought our defense would be better, but maybe that was unreasonable. Our D was 18th in DVOA at the end of last year when everything had fallen apart. I think we're a better overall D when Peterson comes back; maybe among the top half of the league.

But, y'all, this offense is still way bad. Ignore the counting stats, and Fitz and the WRs are in the 50s among WRs. David Johnson is in the lower half of the league by DVOA as a rusher and receiver. Murray is 35th in DVOA (and looking up at everyone except Ryan Fitzpatrick and Josh Rosen).

His QBR is a little higher (20th), likely owing to his late-game heroics early.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our offense is 27th in DVOA; our defense is 22nd. Our special teams is in the top 10. I thought our defense would be better, but maybe that was unreasonable. Our D was 18th in DVOA at the end of last year when everything had fallen apart. I think we're a better overall D when Peterson comes back; maybe among the top half of the league.

But, y'all, this offense is still way bad. Ignore the counting stats, and Fitz and the WRs are in the 50s among WRs. David Johnson is in the lower half of the league by DVOA as a rusher and receiver. Murray is 35th in DVOA (and looking up at everyone except Ryan Fitzpatrick and Josh Rosen).

His QBR is a little higher (20th), likely owing to his late-game heroics early.

We both know stats don't tell the entire story. Our defense is having a hard time getting off of the field when it counts.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/09/nfl-defense-rankings-2019-season-patriots-broncos-vikings?csp=trueanthem&utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_content=5d7017de4b188d00011b9927&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter
Chandler was great in the opener as well.

You are right. He was pretty good in the opener.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort