Cards sign OL Hjalte Froholdt

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He has been a pleasant surprise to all of us

MO found a good one in the rough

Now he needs to find more

It says a lot about his understanding of evaluating talent in the offensive line
We had someone, despite being a guard in college, who struggled year by year to fix the line properly
Even Colon, the late addition, seems like he can be an average starter

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He ranks 18th in the league with the 13th most difficult match-up for a C. Middle of the pack in pass protection. I can certainly live with that as he is a much better run blocker than pass blocker.
He will grow both in strength and technique or at least that’s the hope

Valuable experience this year for him

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Of course if they are not good you are stuck with them, long term. What's wrong with a "prove it" contract?
If they prove it, you are helping them get more money from other teams. Also, you use prove it deals to fill out a roster when competing; you obviously do not build a roster in a rebuild with prove it deals.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you sure these were FA's brought in by Monti? I read that we didn't bring any in. And I sort of remember a couple of DL men who looked pretty good in the PS, but ended up on IR.
There were plenty of players signed last year that will be on this team next year.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Of course if they are not good you are stuck with them, long term. What's wrong with a "prove it" contract?
A) You could lose them to someone else when they prove it; and

B) that prove it contract becomes a lot more expensive than if you accurately identified their long term ability and locked them up with a bargain contract

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I agree and we’ve been searching for a long time. That said, we’re talking a low bar here. I would be surprised if fro ever makes a pro bowl. But I think we are set at starting center.
Agree, but he isn't a trash player.

Even Sendlein was just a smart guy who didn't lose all of the time. Sendlein had more of an impact in the locker room and making line calls, but rarely made impact blocks. With Froholdt, we see impact blocks every game.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Are you sure these were FA's brought in by Monti? I read that we didn't bring any in. And I sort of remember a couple of DL men who looked pretty good in the PS, but ended up on IR.
They are only here for 1 more year, when we still aren't likely going to be competing for anything, which means we will have to pay more to keep them. Monti signed two players to two-year deals and nothing more beyond one-year deals. None of the signings were for the long-term rebuild. But by all means, play dumb about the situation.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agree, but he isn't a trash player.

Even Sendlein was just a smart guy who didn't lose all of the time. Sendlein had more of an impact in the locker room and making line calls, but rarely made impact blocks. With Froholdt, we see impact blocks every game.
I dont know who are the offensive line and tight end coaches, bur frohold improved a lot, even Hernandez had his best season
McBride was condidered mainly as a receiver tight end and now he Is a complete tigh end
Cant say the same about our cbs and pass rusher, they didnt improve their performances

Last edited: