Cards sign OL Hjalte Froholdt

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont know who are the offensive line coach and tight end coaches, bur frohold improved a lot, even Hernandez had his best season
McBride was condidered mainly as a receiver tight end and now he Is a complete tigh end
Cant say the same about our cbs and pass rusher, they didnt improve their performances
I agree they deserve a lot of credit for the Oline improving

Klayton Adams Oline coach

Chris Cook Asst Oline coach

Ben Steele TE coach

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are only here for 1 more year, when we still aren't likely going to be competing for anything, which means we will have to pay more to keep them. Monti signed two players to two-year deals and nothing more beyond one-year deals. None of the signings were for the long-term rebuild. But by all means, play dumb about the situation.
But you wanted to sign more free agents with the likelihood ( your words) that we won’t be competing?
I’m not going to debate you anymore on this. It’s merely different points of views. I’m right and you’re wrong! :) lol.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
But you wanted to sign more free agents with the likelihood ( your words) that we won’t be competing?
I’m not going to debate you anymore on this. It’s merely different points of views. I’m right and you’re wrong! :) lol.
lol No. I wanted to sign more FAs so that there was a greater likelihood we could compete in 2024. Everyone knew 2023 was a lost year, but Monti should have set us up better for 2024.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol No. I wanted to sign more FAs so that there was a greater likelihood we could compete in 2024. Everyone knew 2023 was a lost year, but Monti should have set us up better for 2024.
So are you in the corner that we can’t do enough to compete next year. Cause I’m not.
I fully expect us to compete for a playoff spot in 2024. Will we compete for the NFC Championship? My guess is no. Probably not an NFC West title either. Signing a couple of more free agents heading into 2023 was not going to allow us to compete for the NFC west or conference in 2024.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
So are you in the corner that we can’t do enough to compete next year. Cause I’m not.
I fully expect us to compete for a playoff spot in 2024. Will we compete for the NFC Championship? My guess is no. Probably not an NFC West title either. Signing a couple of more free agents heading into 2023 was not going to allow us to compete for the NFC west or conference in 2024.
I don't think so, no. Not unless Kyler plays like yesterday on a consistent basis. He won't, IMO. If by compete you mean be 5-8 at some point--similar to the Bears this year--sure, maybe, but to me that isn't competing.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think so, no. Not unless Kyler plays like yesterday on a consistent basis. He won't, IMO. If by compete you mean be 5-8 at some point--similar to the Bears this year--sure, maybe, but to me that isn't competing.
Okay. Of course competing will definitely be depend on Kyler. I agree 100%. I’m not sure either.
However IF Kyler can perform at the expectations of an above average qb then I expect the front office moves to reflect their belief in Kyler.

Also, I would say Kyler’s performance was way above average. Was his performance a mirage or a peek into the future? Definitely a logical question.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
I don’t know Slan. I said in another post that I honestly think the offense is within striking distance of being at conference championship level. Maybe two or three players away.

So what could JG/NR do with a 2024 defensive unit that had a massive infusion of talent in the offseason? Could they get that unit up to conference championship level?

Last edited:

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t know Slan. I said in another post that I honestly think the offense is within striking distance of being at conference championship level. Maybe two or three players away.

So what could JG/NR do with a 2024 unit that had a massive infusion of talent in the offseason? Could they get that unit up to conference championship level?
You could be right. And heading into a season the goal should be a championship ring. However, as a fan, I can’t think about a division championship until we earn a playoff birth.
That would be a HUGE step forward compared to where we were at the end of 2022.
Also, I agree with you about the offense. I would like an above average OG making a starter on this current line to the depth chart. Signing a free agent Wr. Higgins and Pittman isn’t happening but a guy like Gabe Davis might be well within reach. Big, fast, young and perhaps under used playing behind Diggs. Top it off with Odunze if not MHJ.
Running back we’re fine, tight end we’re fine. Kyler… fingers crossed.

Last edited:

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
You could be right. And heading into a season the goal should be a championship ring. However, as a fan, I can’t think about a division championship until we earn a playoff birth.
That would be a HUGE step forward compared to where we were at the end of 2022.
Also, I agree with you about the offense. I would like an above average OG making a starter on this current line to the depth chart. Sign a free agent Wr. Higgins and Pittman isn’t happening but a guy like Gabe Wilson might be well within reach. Big, fast, young and perhaps under used playing behind Diggs. Top it off with Odunze if not MHJ.
Running back we’re fine, tight end we’re fine. Kyler… fingers crossed.

Thanks.

Next year will be a litmus test the new leadership group too. IF MO can get the pieces in place, can JG get them to work together? Can evil genius Petzing be an effective play caller? If given the talent to really compete, can Rallis outwit his NFC west counterparts?

It’s almost too much to hope that all four hires are successful.

Last edited:

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
They are only here for 1 more year, when we still aren't likely going to be competing for anything, which means we will have to pay more to keep them. Monti signed two players to two-year deals and nothing more beyond one-year deals. None of the signings were for the long-term rebuild. But by all means, play dumb about the situation.
Now you really have me confused. Are you now saying that Monti did bring in FA's, but paid less up front money? Take Froyo for instance. He's been described as someone who can't block, but to me it seems that he can, so we give him a raise. Isn't that how business works.

And, my wife would be the first to tell you, that I don't have to PLAY dumb.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I agree they deserve a lot of credit for the Oline improving

Klayton Adams Oline coach

Chris Cook Asst Oline coach

Ben Steele TE coach

It’s interesting, I just realized I don’t know the names of most of our position coaches for the first time I think ever. Weird.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s interesting, I just realized I don’t know the names of most of our position coaches for the first time I think ever. Weird.
Yeah, I was on a walk today and was trying to think of who it is and couldn't come up with a name. I was thinking he has done a good job. We used to talk about oline coaches a lot. But this guy has flown under the radar

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many times did Oline coaches get hired and we heard he's done this and that with players

It never really did work out

Now Klayton and Cook come in and nothing much is said and yet they produce

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, gotta eat my crow on this one. Mid-season, I was ready to keep him for depth. Now? I'm good with him starting. Credit to @BritCard being a believer in this kid from jump.
My reports from training camp had Froholdt as a bright spot so I'm glad you are coming around to him:

Kazir White has looked really good at training camp and in the few snaps he has played in preseason.

Krys Barnes and Josh Woods have also impressed at ILB.

Froholdt has been way more than I expected at center. Heading into training camp I wasn’t sure that we had a center on the roster. Now I feel a lot more confidence with the Great Dane starting at center.

LJ Collier was brought in from Seattle and has looked like one of the starters on the DL

Carlos Watkins who was brought in from the Cowboys also has looked very solid on the DL.
Congrats on the new house! I hate moving though. Couldn't imagine moving after all of the stuff that my wife and I have accumulated over the last 2 decades.

With regards to the Cardinals new starting center, I have attended a few practices and have watched and replayed both pre-season games while keying on him. So while you may call it hopium, I call it the eye test. I haven't seen a negative play from him in the plays that he has been out there during the pre-season games. This was against the Broncos and Chiefs starters.

Here is the short clip of him manhandling the Broncos in case you missed it:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

While Froholdt still has a year left on his contract, I would reward him with a two year extension while he is still cheap. I'd like to keep the key parts of this OL intact for as long as possible to continue to build continuity. Froldholt is only 27 so he is just entering his prime.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Question for thought, will he grow and improve? His ceiling is?

If so we have a stud at a position that has been an Achilles heel.
It's a good question. And one I honestly do not know how to answer. If he keeps this up, then the ceiling is a top five C in the league IMO. He is a very good straight line run blocker and an absolute beast in space and on the second level of run blocking.

Pass-blocking is the weakness. Graded 9th best in the last 6 games, but faced less of his weakness in that period as well. The worst play we have seen from him is going against the massive 3-4 NTs and he had his worst game against Ravens' Michael Pierce. This is the big area of improvement.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
My reports from training camp had Froholdt as a bright spot so I'm glad you are coming around to him:

While Froholdt still has a year left on his contract, I would reward him with a two year extension while he is still cheap. I'd like to keep the key parts of this OL intact for as long as possible to continue to build continuity. Froldholt is only 27 so he is just entering his prime.
I would give him 5. I want my next negotiation post 30 years of age.