Cards Pick 4th

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If I had my way...i think I would lie to see
MHJ #4
The best Dlineman available with the Texans pick (Verse, Newton would be amazing if they fell that far)
Cooper Bebee with #35. He would start at LG and be a big upgrade.

Roll with Beachum at LT
Move up if needed to secure one if you prize them, right?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Well. I KNOW you're wrong on that. In an ideal vacuum you're right but that's not how the NFL front office thinks. They want a multi-year starter that makes their team better and contributes to winning. Yes. they would like the player to be a star but it's not an expectation.
What you're saying, or so it seems, that every team that picks in the top 10 is disappointed in their pick if that player didn't become a star. I guess it depends on your definition of a star. I don't consider DeVonte Smith or Jaylen Waddle stars but I'm pretty sure the Eagles and Dolphins are very happy with their picks.
You're saying that teams don't expect the top 10 of a class to be stars?

• Out of 320 total picks, 132 have made a Pro Bowl (41.25%)
  • 8 of 10 No. 1 overall picks have made a Pro Bowl (misses were Sam Bradford and Baker Mayfield)
  • Absolutely 0 players in this span picked No. 26 overall have made a Pro Bowl (good luck Titans lol)
  • Your team has more than double the chance to draft a Pro Bowler if they draft in the top 18 picks (53.3%) than from 19-32 (25.7%).

Some more data:

You have to hit big with your top 10 picks - wasting picks on guys like Simmons and Cooper hold back the entire program.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We need A tackle eventually. DJ is gonna get cut. I don't mind Beachum for a year, but we need a young tackle prospect to play opposite Paris. At #4 the best prospects are going to be MHJ, Alt, or Fashanu...so it makes sense to take Alt and just plug him in at LT...he's a much better prospect than Paris and should be a plus starter at LT from day 1. He has tons of experience.

If we get MHJ at 4...then a RT prospect could make sense with the Texans pick...but I don't know who will be left.

IMO...o line is our 4th biggest need. D-Line, WR, CB, and O Line....and that's not really in order. We need help in all those rooms, so between some combination of draft and FA we have to bring in better talent.

I would either draft an OT and sign a guard...or I would draft a LG and roll with Beachum for a year, knowing that OT will have to be added soon.
Can't have Beechum starting. OK as a backup but no way as a starter for 17 games.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

• 8 of 10 No. 1 overall picks have made a Pro Bowl (misses were Sam Bradford and Baker Mayfield)
  • Absolutely 0 players in this span picked No. 26 overall have made a Pro Bowl (good luck Titans lol)
  • Your team has more than double the chance to draft a Pro Bowler if they draft in the top 18 picks (53.3%) than from 19-32 (25.7%).

Some more data:

You have to hit big with your top 10 picks - wasting picks on guys like Simmons and Cooper hold back the entire program.
Just curious, why did you cherry pick the #26 draft slot?

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reading this made me think about the WRs Stroud had to throw to and there was a second round pick(who hardly played this year), two third rounders(Brown and Collins), a journeyman(Woods), and a couple of un-drafted players. By all standards, Stroud had a heck of a first season. So the question this brings to mind for me is a high draft choice at WR a necessity or can the team be helped by making sure you grab a WR or two that fit into the offensive scheme really well later in the draft?
That’s the question for the experts. However, everthing being said about MHJ defies doubt. Others in the draft MAY very well be as good. But MHJ is being ranked by many as not only the best wr but the best player in the draft.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score

Some more data:

Less than 50%, 4 out 10 made the pro bowl. That's not a high percentage to be expecting stars.
I agree the misses put a team back but I'm sure the Cards were happy, overall, with what they got from Levi Brown over his career. Sure they would've liked a Joe Thomas career but they got alot of mileage out of Levi.

I'm not taking into account the missed AP pick. That was horrendous and missing out on a superstar.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Harry - Washington, New England, and Arizona all finished 4-13... so believe the Cards pick 2nd in round 3.
They pick 3rd in round 2 and second in round 3. See best source below. It’s a great resource.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score

Some more data:

Agree on Simmons, but Cooper was destroyed by an injury. All bets are off when players gets a serious injury even if they appear to be fully recovered. Look at the Cardinal’s Johnson. He went from perhaps the best RB in the game to a mediocre player despite apparently being fully healed. Once they lose that Superman mentality, some are never the same.

Card'em

All Star
Reaction score
We have 5 of the top 71 draft picks and 13 picks overall. Gotta get 4 starters and at least a couple of depth players out of this haul for it to be considered a successful draft. Add in 3-4 starters in free agency and we're a playoff contender.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We have 5 of the top 71 draft picks and 13 picks overall. Gotta get 4 starters and at least a couple of depth players out of this haul for it to be considered a successful draft. Add in 3-4 starters in free agency and we're a playoff contender.
I thought we had 11 picks…

Fitz4Ever

Veteran
Reaction score
Someone just posted a draft value chart...sorry I can't find it to quote. If the Texans pick and #35 is really the equivalent of pick #10....then go ahead and take Alt and then trade up for Nabers or Odunze.

Why have draft ammo if you don't use it to get blue chip players at positions of need.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Penix just smells Teddy Bridgewater, and he as good before his knee injury

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

I just disagree with this. It's exceptionally rare to get four good starters out of a draft. Partly because most teams don't have that many roster spots.

The Rams got four good starters out of the last draft. It's a goal, not really an expectation. Even with as many high picks as we have.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Then we used a #6 pick on a right tackle. :bang:
Personally I don't think that really matters. If Paris stays at RT, it is because the Cardinals drafted a better prospect at LT in Alt or Fashanu, not because PJJ is bad. And, the only reason I think this is a consideration is because of Humphries injury and the ability to get a decent RT prospect in the 20s. I didn't see any dominant play from him to make me believe he can be the best OT on a good line, but I don't feel I saw any glaring issues either. Both avenues have merit IMO.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Also, if you drafted a LT this year and kept PJJ at RT, I think it works long term as well. This offense will continue to have a focus of running the ball which means they won't need to spend as much on multiple WRs.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard