Cards Pick 4th

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Many evaluators put Fashanu before Alt. While Alt probably has a slight edge at the moment in run blocking Fashanu’s overall ability likely means he will equal or pass Alt at some point. Both are excellent OT prospects and either one improves the Cards, though I still go WR first.

If you had to guess - which one (Alt or Olu) has the biggest probability of not living up to expectations?

Think Evan Neal, Ikem Ekwonu, Jedrick Wills, Mekhi Becton, etc

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
If you had to guess - which one (Alt or Olu) has the biggest probability of not living up to expectations?

Work Ethics, technique and smarts are usually better indicators than pure size. The oversized OTs with nimble feet are usually the ones most prone to failing - see Becton on that list.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Work Ethics, technique and smarts are usually better indicators than pure size. The oversized OTs with nimble feet are usually the ones most prone to failing - see Becton on that list.

Thx. Then Mims from Georgia is an extreme risk (huge/nimble but very injury prone).

Fitz4Ever

Veteran
Reaction score

If the expectation is "starting quality LT in the NFL"....then I think Alt has the edge on meeting them. I get he's not his dad...but his dad played in the NFL for a long time. His brother is an NHL player. He's grown up in a house of professional athletes and he knows the kind of work it takes.

Also, he's got 33 starts at LT at one of the premier programs in the nation for O-Lineman. He has been really good for 3 seasons...so he has proven to some degree what his floor is. Anything can happen in the NFL, but I see a small possibility that Alt is a complete bust. I think his floor is journeyman NFL Tackle who plays for several teams over a lengthy career. I think he ceiling is Joe Thomas

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
They aren't even #1 WR on their own team. We have different definitions of stars.
I guess? There are more than one WR on the field at one time?

Davonta Smith has two consecutive 1000-yard receiving seasons and had over 900 yards as a rookie.

Waddle has three consecutive 1000-yard receiving seasons and lead the league in YPC in 2022.

Just because these guys are paired with Superstars across from them doesn't take anything away from their accomplishments. Such a weird take.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Davonta Smith has two consecutive 1000-yard receiving seasons and had over 900 yards as a rookie.

Waddle has three consecutive 1000-yard receiving seasons and lead the league in YPC in 2022.

Just because these guys are paired with Superstars across from them doesn't take anything away from their accomplishments. Such a weird take.

I'm not as sold on Smith but I do think that Waddle clearly is a star.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score

Brandon Aiyuk has back to back 1000 yard seasons. Outside of SF, I don't think he's considered a star. Very good and productive player but not a "star".

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Brandon Aiyuk has back to back 1000 yard seasons. Outside of SF, I don't think he's considered a star. Very good and productive player but not a "star".
Me sitting in Gilbert, AZ considers him a star.

I think you're overlooking the very important impact fantasy football has on the national profile of skill position players.

DeVonta Smith's positional rankings (past three years): 30th, 10th, 22nd.
Jaylen Waddle's positional rankings: 21st, 7th, 32nd.
Brandon Aiyuk's positional rankings: 34th, 15th, 10th.

For millions of football fans these players are highly desirable and closely tracked.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think you're overlooking the very important impact fantasy football has on the national profile of skill position players.

For millions of football fans these players are highly desirable and closely tracked.
And what doe all the players mentioned above have in common?
A great counterpart.
Smith has Brown
Waddle has Tyreek
Aiyuk has Samuel.

We need two WR’s and I don’t want Hollywood.

Reactions: PJ1

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score

Never said they weren't desirable. If you average out their positional rankings, as a group, you have the 20th ranked WR. Very good and I'd want him on the Cards but not a star to me.
Were Michael Floyd and John Brown(twice), both 1000 yard receivers, stars? No, but I sure was glad when they had those years for the Cardinals.
Like I said, we just have different definitions of a star. To me, for WR's it's probably an annual top 10 or so ranking.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Never said they weren't desirable. If you average out their positional rankings, as a group, you have the 20th ranked WR. Very good and I'd want him on the Cards but not a star to me.
Were Michael Floyd and John Brown(twice), both 1000 yard receivers, stars? No, but I sure was glad when they had those years for the Cardinals.
Like I said, we just have different definitions of a star. To me, for WR's it's probably an annual top 10 or so ranking.
Michael Floyd never got better than 32nd in fantasy ranking; John Brown was 22nd his second year and 19th in 2019 with the Bills. I think if they'd been able to stack those seasons a little more, maybe they'd be stars. Floyd was on that trajectory and kind of got stepped on/pushed aside by John Brown. He never really recovered.

I guess I just have a finer distinction than you. Top 10 are superstars; there's a level above that of elite players. If you don't have tiers between DeVonta Smith and Christian Kirk, more power to ya. :thumbup:

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
Well, Kirk had 1108 yards and 8 TD's last year to Smith's 1196 and 7 and this year was on pace basically his 3rd straight 1000 yard season (982 his last year the Cards) so, no, I don't see much of a tier between the 2.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Michael Floyd never got better than 32nd in fantasy ranking; John Brown was 22nd his second year and 19th in 2019 with the Bills. I think if they'd been able to stack those seasons a little more, maybe they'd be stars. Floyd was on that trajectory and kind of got stepped on/pushed aside by John Brown. He never really recovered.
Floyd was publicly called out for laziness by Fitz and then was popped for a DUI. His trajectory was derailed by nobody but himself.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, Kirk had 1108 yards and 8 TD's last year to Smith's 1196 and 7 and this year was on pace basically his 3rd straight 1000 yard season (982 his last year the Cards) so, no, I don't see much of a tier between the 2.
Wow

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

So just to be clear you see no difference between a guy who has eclipsed 1000 yards receiving once and another who has done it the past two seasons. That's what you're gonna run with.

Kirk is closer to Hollywood than he is the Slim Reaper. Neither of the former are stars. I'm trying to determine if you really think that everyone who isn't a top 10 WR is just a guy in the NFL. Like, is Ja'Marr Chase (12th in yardage) not a star? What about Stefon Diggs (13th)? Is Nico Collins (8th) a star? Amon-Ra St. Brown (3rd). Justin Jefferson had 1074 yards this season -- is he indistinguishable from Christian Kirk for you? Garrett Wilson had 1042 yards and 2 TDs -- do you look at him and see Adam Thielen (1014/4)?

I don’t think your reference is the same Floyd
They are the same Michael Floyd.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
So just to be clear you see no difference between a guy who has eclipsed 1000 yards receiving once and another who has done it the past two seasons. That's what you're gonna run with.

Kirk is closer to Hollywood than he is the Slim Reaper. Neither of the former are stars. I'm trying to determine if you really think that everyone who isn't a top 10 WR is just a guy in the NFL. Like, is Ja'Marr Chase (12th in yardage) not a star? What about Stefon Diggs (13th)? Is Nico Collins (8th) a star? Amon-Ra St. Brown (3rd). Justin Jefferson had 1074 yards this season -- is he indistinguishable from Christian Kirk for you? Garrett Wilson had 1042 yards and 2 TDs -- do you look at him and see Adam Thielen (1014/4)?

They are the same Michael Floyd.
Obviously I don’t get the Brown stepped on him comment. I’ll move on…

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison