Cards Pick 4th

Cards Crazy

Veteran
Reaction score
I think we have 7 clear Top prospects and only 2 QBs in the top 7.
i do not want to go lower than 7, but I am convinced MHJ and 2 QBs are gone when we pick.
If thats the case I would trade back a few spots like last year which was a trade down to 11 then back up to six which seemed to work out quite well

Last edited:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Is Paris a good LT? He was fairly mid at RT his rookie season.
This is just grading the kid too harshly. He performed admirably against a murderer's row of pass rushers in his rookie year. He was really good at times and showed that he can be a good tackle in the NFL for a long time if he cleans up a few small technique issues.

You make it sound like he was D'Anthoy Baptiste, when he was probably one of the best rookie OL we've seen with the Arizona Cardinals.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
This is just grading the kid too harshly. He performed admirably against a murderer's row of pass rushers in his rookie year. He was really good at times and showed that he can be a good tackle in the NFL for a long time if he cleans up a few small technique issues.
Nah, he's earned a solid B, B-. He had some moments but doesn't look like a star or dominant player moving forward. Solid but unspectacular - hopefully there is more growth to be seen.
You make it sound like he was D'Anthoy Baptiste, when he was probably one of the best rookie OL we've seen with the Arizona Cardinals.
Draft position matters! When you're a top 10 pick, you're expected to be a star.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Nah, he's earned a solid B, B-. He had some moments but doesn't look like a star or dominant player moving forward. Solid but unspectacular - hopefully there is more growth to be seen.

Draft position matters! When you're a top 10 pick, you're expected to be a star.
Not every draft is built equally. Last year's draft was one of the worst in awhile. That has to be factored in when you evaluate a draft.

I do agree he has a solid B performance, but I think he'll be good player for a long time. I see him as a sub Pro Bowl player which is fine.

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
I’ve checked Bears Reddit, Bears forums, Bears Twitter, & so forth. Trust me, you guys are a lot higher on Fields than majority of Bears’ fans themselves seem to be.
incorrect

the entire stadium was chanting "we want fields" last week

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Not every draft is built equally. Last year's draft was one of the worst in awhile. That has to be factored in when you evaluate a draft.
Yeah, it seems pretty early to come to conclusions one way or another, at least for a couple of years.
I do agree he has a solid B performance, but I think he'll be good player for a long time. I see him as a sub Pro Bowl player which is fine.
Yep - a DJ Humphries like contributor. Not a home run by any stretch but a solid and safe double.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Don't put words in my mouth. Baptiste was a dumpster fire. PJJ was fine. He wasn't even the best OL in his rookie class, despite being the top-drafted. He got a ton of help from the design of the offense throughout the season.

I agree with someone who said he looked like D.J. Humphries. If he flops over and still looks like The Captain, then you used the sixth overall pick in the NFL draft on a mid-tier LT. Even in a bad draft and factoring in important culture additions, etc., it's hella mid.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Don't put words in my mouth. Baptiste was a dumpster fire. PJJ was fine. He wasn't even the best OL in his rookie class, despite being the top-drafted. He got a ton of help from the design of the offense throughout the season.

I agree with someone who said he looked like D.J. Humphries. If he flops over and still looks like The Captain, then you used the sixth overall pick in the NFL draft on a mid-tier LT. Even in a bad draft and factoring in important culture additions, etc., it's hella mid.
How did he look like DJ?

Seriously, PJ’s first year in the NFL was light years better than DJ!

PJ will get stronger as he matures and his career will far exceed DJ. PJ opened a lot of running lanes on that right side.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

PJJ is light years better than Humphries was even in Humphries third season.

Utter nonsense to be so cynical of a guy who started 17 games and mostly played pretty well. And I can't really judge how others played because 1) I didn't watch them 2) OL is notoriously hard to evaluate. What I did see is that PJJ has lapses in technique at times, but a good athlete and a solid technician.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score

Pretty harsh for a rookie switching positions. There aren't many rookie OT's that come in a dominate, in fact very few. Paris is going to continue to get better.
Also, it's wildly optimistic to think all top 10 picks are expected to be stars. Teams would like that but it's not very realistic.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Adding Joe Alt could be a great move...NFL likes legacies and his daddy was an all pro for the chefs for years...he is the big man equivalent to MHJ... could just be poor luck for PJJ if he planned to play LT...because guys like this dont come along every year...
ALt at 6'8" and PJJ at 6'6" could be the twin tower bookends for Kyler for the next 15 years...givertake.
its arguable that taking Alt, then the best WR available later...gains us greater net value than taking MHJ and the best OT available later...but its arguable that thats pure ******** too.

having to choose between these two guys is a nightmare in our teams current position.
I think, I would take Harrison, then draft Mims later and kick PJJ to the left

Fitz4Ever

Veteran
Reaction score
Why do we need a LT we drafted one last year
We need A tackle eventually. DJ is gonna get cut. I don't mind Beachum for a year, but we need a young tackle prospect to play opposite Paris. At #4 the best prospects are going to be MHJ, Alt, or Fashanu...so it makes sense to take Alt and just plug him in at LT...he's a much better prospect than Paris and should be a plus starter at LT from day 1. He has tons of experience.

If we get MHJ at 4...then a RT prospect could make sense with the Texans pick...but I don't know who will be left.

IMO...o line is our 4th biggest need. D-Line, WR, CB, and O Line....and that's not really in order. We need help in all those rooms, so between some combination of draft and FA we have to bring in better talent.

I would either draft an OT and sign a guard...or I would draft a LG and roll with Beachum for a year, knowing that OT will have to be added soon.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We need A tackle eventually. DJ is gonna get cut. I don't mind Beachum for a year, but we need a young tackle prospect to play opposite Paris. At #4 the best prospects are going to be MHJ, Alt, or Fashanu...so it makes sense to take Alt and just plug him in at LT...he's a much better prospect than Paris and should be a plus starter at LT from day 1. He has tons of experience.

If we get MHJ at 4...then a RT prospect could make sense with the Texans pick...but I don't know who will be left.

IMO...o line is our 4th biggest need. D-Line, WR, CB, and O Line....and that's not really in order. We need help in all those rooms, so between some combination of draft and FA we have to bring in better talent.

I would either draft an OT and sign a guard...or I would draft a LG and roll with Beachum for a year, knowing that OT will have to be added soon.
Solid opinion…

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Pretty harsh for a rookie switching positions.
B is a good grade! He certainly didn't star, so he doesn't get an A. He wasn't bad, so he doesn't get a C. He was a B player.
. Paris is going to continue to get better.
Paris SHOULD get better. Doesn't mean it's guaranteed.
Also, it's wildly optimistic to think all top 10 picks are expected to be stars. Teams would like that but it's not very realistic.
If you pick a guy in the top 10, you expect him to be a star, period.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
If you pick a guy in the top 10, you expect him to be a star, period.
Well. I KNOW you're wrong on that. In an ideal vacuum you're right but that's not how the NFL front office thinks. They want a multi-year starter that makes their team better and contributes to winning. Yes. they would like the player to be a star but it's not an expectation.
What you're saying, or so it seems, that every team that picks in the top 10 is disappointed in their pick if that player didn't become a star. I guess it depends on your definition of a star. I don't consider DeVonte Smith or Jaylen Waddle stars but I'm pretty sure the Eagles and Dolphins are very happy with their picks.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
The Bears are between a rock and a hard place. They can surely trade the pick but if they are wrong on Field it will set them back for years.
Houston proved you can win with a rookie qb in place. They are staring at passing on Williams and putting all their eggs in Fields basket.
They have a #1 Wr. They have a TE. They have a couple of good RB’s. Maybe they should take Williams and then o-line on their other 1st round pick.
Reading this made me think about the WRs Stroud had to throw to and there was a second round pick(who hardly played this year), two third rounders(Brown and Collins), a journeyman(Woods), and a couple of un-drafted players. By all standards, Stroud had a heck of a first season. So the question this brings to mind for me is a high draft choice at WR a necessity or can the team be helped by making sure you grab a WR or two that fit into the offensive scheme really well later in the draft?