Cards hire Whisenhunt - Now It's Official

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
So your saying we do have the personel on the team to be a run first team to set up the pass. We have a dreadful run blocking line and a Rb that has never been in a run first offense. That just does not seem to fit to me Duck.

No, I'm saying the Cards have the personell to be a power running and power passing team. Not running to set up the pass or passing to set up the run but simply kicking the snot out of the opponents no matter which type play is called. That type of offense would be perfect for our Pro Bowl WR.

I think that the Cardinals offensive problems when they had them were that they tried to be a finesse team with power type players and that's why the offensive line was awful in run blocking.

I'm also not worried about James in a running offense. He had 121 more carries last year than the average of the Cardinals leading rushers for the 5 years prior.

However I am still concerned about the defense. But maybe KW can have them play hard nosed football that would seem to fit the players better than the soft style Green seemed to want them to play.

SMAC

Nobody Beats the Wiz!
Reaction score
Good solid hire. It's nice to see that the Cardinals get the deal done before he leaves. I wonder if any Steeler assistants will follow with Cowher now retired.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I dont think Wiz will have Joe Thomas on his radar screen. To much of a finesse type player. I think he goes another direction in the first no matter if Davis is still here or not.

First of all I doubt if Thomas will last until #5. It will be interesting to see what he sees is the real need after spending a lot of time now in looking at Card film. No doubt he and Graves will work together on putting together the top 100 list this year. We may be surprised at the direction they take but at #5 it still has to be BPA but it could be a DT (Alan Branch), RB (Adrian Peterson), DE (Jamal Anderson or Gaines Adams) or S (Landry or Nelson). I really think he will make his mark not on the first pick but the rest of the draft.

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
No, I'm saying the Cards have the personell to be a power running and power passing team. Not running to set up the pass or passing to set up the run but simply kicking the snot out of the opponents no matter which type play is called. That type of offense would be perfect for our Pro Bowl WR.

I think that the Cardinals offensive problems when they had them were that they tried to be a finesse team with power type players and that's why the offensive line was awful in run blocking.

I'm also not worried about James in a running offense. He had 121 more carries last year than the average of the Cardinals leading rushers for the 5 years prior.

However I am still concerned about the defense. But maybe KW can have them play hard nosed football that would seem to fit the players better than the soft style Green seemed to want them to play.

Wow, I sure wish I could see what you are seeing. I drink Card koolaid but apparently not enough. If the Bidwills/Graves force Pendy on Whisenhunt then that is suspect right there to me. I am not ready to crown this Oline as arrived because they did suck for 2 and 1/2 years before they played well the last 6 games of the year. I do not think Edge is a pound it type back and we do not have a legit deepthreat IMO to be able to do all of what you say. What we do have is a top notch Qb and I still believe he is the hope for this team. The Owners are clueless and are still allowing a guy to run the Front office that has been in that position for 6 horrible seasons. That tells me if he is the guy calling the shots....we are same old same old....and I am done with that.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
The Wizz was not my first choice, or even my third, but the strong point that I see is that he brings a ballanced offence to the table. There's no way of telling whether or not he is going to be a good coach or not. We'll all just have to wait and see what happens. Another good thing about him is much of his background is either being a tightend or a tightends coach so he should be able to really help out Leonard Pope.

freebyrd

Reaction score
if he can understand leonard pope, might need Q to translate for him,

i am gonna just take a wait and see attitude toward this, i was excited about green and look how that turned out
freebyrd

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Chow, Whisenhunt, Grimm and Cameron were on my short list in that order.

In terms of filling team needs, I definitely felt we needed an innovative offensive mind to get more from Matt, Q, Fitz, Edge and Pope than we got last year. (Even with a somewhat improved offensive line later in the season, our offensive production wasn't what it should have been or needed to be). This is a Whisenhunt strength.

We also needed better production at WLB and from our secondary, better overall discipline, focus and mental toughness. Whether Whisenhunt (or Pendergast or someone else under Whisenhunt) can fill those needs remains to be seen.

We have to hope that RG and MB came away from the interviews feeling that Whisenhut's leadership and influence will extend directly or indirectly to better defensive productivity and improvement in intangibles on the part of the entire team. (There's no way we can know this - he's been an OC - but that's what the hope has to be).

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Chow, Whisenhunt, Grimm and Cameron were on my short list in that order.

In terms of filling team needs, I definitely felt we needed an innovative offensive mind to get more from Matt, Q, Fitz, Edge and Pope than we got last year. (Even with a somewhat improved offensive line later in the season, our offensive production wasn't what it should have been or needed to be). This is a Whisenhunt strength.

We also needed better production at WLB and from our secondary, better overall discipline, focus and mental toughness. Whether Whisenhunt (or Pendergast or someone else under Whisenhunt) can fill those needs remains to be seen.

We have to hope that RG and MB came away from the interviews feeling that Whisenhut's leadership and influence will extend directly or indirectly to better defensive productivity and improvement in intangibles on the part of the entire team. (There's no way we can know this - he's been an OC - but that's what the hope has to be).

I'm ok with this guy, it could have been much worse, could have been better IMO but still this is ok by me, I didn't want a guy that would retain CP but that hasn't been settled yet and even if he does CP without the DG henchmen around him might be ok anyway.

Bottom line I'm excited to see what we got, it's like going to some store and buying a mystery item and having to wait til you get home to open it, until the real bullets fly it's all conjecture on what will happen, I'm excited to see the new regime plan in the offseason and see how the whole thing shakes out and then I'll be nervous the first few games hoping a giant dud isn't what we got.

I don't have any idea what we have actually, that's fine it's better than knowing DG sucked.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Another good thing about him is much of his background is either being a tightend or a tightends coach so he should be able to really help out Leonard Pope.

LOL wasnt our OC at the beginning of the season the TE coach for KC? That did us alot of good.

NFL_FAN

NFL_FAN
Reaction score
The man has a degree in civil engineering. In short, HE'S NOT AN IDIOT

So with that thought, Bridget, Hugh Hefner's middle girlfriend with a Masters degree must be a genius!!

Attachments

• bridget2.jpg
    bridget2.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 168

Gambit

First-Class Second-Rate Poster
Reaction score
I agree with that 100%

I didn't have a clear cut favorite but Whisenhunt interests me. 6 years with the Steelers can only be a good thing. I love that franchise...

I hate the Steelers, but I'll be happy to welcome the Wiz back to the light side of the Force. And his leaving is a blow to the Steelers. I wonder if they'll get Grimm. Or maybe Sherman.

PAQ77

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome aboard, Coach... Best of luck to you as you begin the turning of the tide here in Arizona.

Go Cards!

PS... Bring your Rolaids

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was initially torn in between Chow/Rivera, but have now since warmed to the idea of Wisenhunt.....

He's young, energetic, seems innovative... has the attributes/credentials you yearn for in a coach that I hope even stays beyond the 4th (and option year) year of his contract....

I too like many was hesitant to embrace him as a viable candidate because he seemed that he yearned the Steelers head coaching position more, however, aside from that... please again check-out his post interview press conference:
http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/showthread.php?t=84126&highlight=whisenhunt

I was especially impressed on how sound he was in discussing his defensive philosophy...... if the Cardinals blitz more... then.. look out............

People must not completely fault Pendergast for the Cardinals abysmal defensive rankings... He absolutely had no control that the Cardinals didnt completely solidify the defensive backfield by bringing in better quality FAs... nor.. was it his fault that the time of possession was always in favor of the opposition...in which would cause the defensive to lose energy as the game progressed.... Did anyone else notice how the defense was solid in the 1st half, but then would completely falter in the 2nd half because the offense kept on going 3 and out?

I love this hiring.... Again... he suits the make-up of an ideal head coach... I think in his case w/Pittsburgh is that he coached-up most of the players... that he's had a solid track record of doing so throughout his career... I cannot wait to see the WIZ easing the Cardinals down the road to the Super Bowl....

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
I do not think Edge is a pound it type back

I'm sorry dude, but you can't be serious? Edge has been one of the best power runners for the last 4 years. If you need a 3rd down he usually gets it.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score

I would absolutley LOVE to see that type of mentality used in our offense.

BigRedArk

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I would have bet my life that DG was the 7th HC for the Cards since arriving in AZ. Now it is being reported that Whis is the 7th one? Cornfused.:confused:

Ok I love to answer my own questions. He is the 8th HC since moving from St Lou. Stupid media can't count.

http://scoreboards.aol.com/football/nfl/team/ari/team_news.aspx

Official: Arizona hires Steelers assistant as new coach
PHOENIX (AP) -The Arizona Cardinals hired Pittsburgh Steelers offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt as coach, succeeding the fired Dennis Green, an official within the league said Sunday.

The deal with Whisenhunt was completed Sunday, said the person, who asked not to be identified because the announcement had not yet been made.

The hiring first was reported by Fox.

Green was fired after his team went 5-11 in his third season. Whisenhunt becomes the Cardinals' eighth coach since the franchise moved to Arizona in 1988.
Whisenhunt was one of eight candidates interviewed for the job, but one of only two who got a second interview. The other was former Green Bay Packers coach Mike Sherman.

The Steelers assistant also interviewed for coaching jobs in Pittsburgh, Miami and Atlanta. He and fellow Pittsburgh assistant Russ Grimm had been considered leading candidates to replace Bill Cowher with the Steelers.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So with that thought, Bridget, Hugh Hefner's middle girlfriend with a Masters degree must be a genius!!

She's actually very smart and extremely nice. I've met her a few times, and her family.

How does that go...don't judge a book by its hair color, or something like that?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard