Cards hire Whisenhunt - Now It's Official

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
The Steelers were the 7th ranked offense. Given their talent, (great RB and TE, a good WR and a mediocre QB), that's impressive.

I'll wait for him to impress me here with our players, I hope he does, seriously I'd like to be wrong on this.

I don't know the guy, I guess I'll sit back and see how the offseason goes, what direction we head in and hope for the best as always, and 4 like the 8th time the Cardinals don't take the guy I wanted.

Par for the course.

NFL_FAN

NFL_FAN
Reaction score
I'll wait for him to impress me here with our players, I hope he does, seriously I'd like to be wrong on this.

I don't know the guy, I guess I'll sit back and see how the offseason goes, what direction we head in and hope for the best as always, and 4 like the 8th time the Cardinals don't take the guy I wanted.

Par for the course.

Ditto :|

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
Come on. There wasn't a coach they interviewed that would get more enemy fans out of the seats. Only Pete Carrol could've generated huge excitement in the public. Mike Sherman and Norm Chow sure as hell wouldn't have.

I believe Cam Cameron, Norm Chow, and even Jim Caldwell were better options to keep this team as a dynamic offense as it was intended to be. They would have kept the cities interest and kept the seats Red. I am really not down on Whisenhunt. I just do not see where he is the best qualified for the personel we have. If he catches lightning in a bottle he may be a good coach but this is not why the Bidwills hired him. The old man has done this to many times for long time fans to get excited about a coach that doesn't fit the personel on this team. Hope he can change in to an offensive genius because with him being forced to keep Pendy....we are going to have to score alot of points.

Red Dawn

Go Big Red!
Reaction score

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Geez, I'm gonna mark this down as having the fingerprints of the old man all over it.

What would have had to have happened for you not do say this ?

As I predicted, no matter what the Cardinals did, you found a way to say it bad and all BB Snr's fault.

Now I'm sure that unless they fire ALL the ACs, you will assume that Wiz was required to keep them as a condition of the job ? Despite the evidence to the contrary, which I notice you have ignored in all your posts.

The Cardinals fired some of the existings ACs, this suggests that they kept the folks they thought the new coach might want. Had your speculations been true they would have kept all of them.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now I'm sure that unless they fire ALL the ACs, you will assume that Wiz was required to keep them as a condition of the job ? Despite the evidence to the contrary, which I notice you have ignored in all your posts.

You are also ignoring that Graves, as plainly as possible, said he did not think the staff had to be cleaned out. Do you really think that willingness to retain our current assistants had NO impact on the decision-making process?

Look, nidan, I hope you're right. I hope he finishes the job Graves should've done and gets rid of the rest of them. Especially Pendergast.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
What would have had to have happened for you not do say this ?

As I predicted, no matter what the Cardinals did, you found a way to say it bad and all BB Snr's fault.

The Cardinals fired some of the existings ACs, this suggests that they kept the folks they thought the new coach might want. Had your speculations been true they would have kept all of them.

They basically got rid of the DG guys and a few non players.

I'm not worried about the offensive staff Nidan, CP is who I was worried about, if we see our corners come up a bit in coverage I'll feel better, I'm not depressed, I figured this would happen, have your happy day, for me it's a bit of a yawner until we see how the staff shakes out and then again until we see this thing hit the field.

I'll hope for the best as always but I was proved right, the guy that took the job will keep almost all of the remaining staff, if he dosen't color me suprised if he does as I suspect then well we'll see.

Comming fromt the Steelers as he does I'd like to see him bring a ton of assistants from there and take over the defense but again we'll see.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I believe Cam Cameron, Norm Chow, and even Jim Caldwell were better options to keep this team as a dynamic offense as it was intended to be. They would have kept the cities interest and kept the seats Red. I am really not down on Whisenhunt. I just do not see where he is the best qualified for the personel we have. If he catches lightning in a bottle he may be a good coach but this is not why the Bidwills hired him. The old man has done this to many times for long time fans to get excited about a coach that doesn't fit the personel on this team. Hope he can change in to an offensive genius because with him being forced to keep Pendy....we are going to have to score alot of points.

It's your opinion,but how were those guys better options. Cameron and Caldwell have both been disasters as HC's at the college level and Chow has only been in the NFL for 2 years and his offense was 27th last year. Whisenhnt is as solid a choice as you can get. I like that the Cards didn't go for the "exciting" hire and hired the guy who they thought was the best. Even though you could call this the "exciting" hire because Whiz and Rivera were the top 2 hot HC candidates out there this year.

sportznutt

Canadian Card
Reaction score
We hired Val Venis:

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
It's your opinion,but how were those guys better options. Cameron and Caldwell have both been disasters as HC's at the college level and Chow has only been in the NFL for 2 years and his offense was 27th last year. Whisenhnt is as solid a choice as you can get. I like that the Cards didn't go for the "exciting" hire and hired the guy who they thought was the best. Even though you could call this the "exciting" hire because Whiz and Rivera were the top 2 hot HC candidates out there this year.

What makes him the best?

He took over as OC on a Solid team and did ok, well actually they regressed this year but some of that probably was Ben having a hang over from his accident but again, that team was solid and layed a stinker this year.

I hope everyone who's happy now gets their wish and he wins, that's all I care about anyway.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
He seems energetic and he seems reasonably bright, although taking this job and taking on a DC that sucks when you're forte is Offense from a Defensive identy team who runs an offense that relies on a run game we don't have yet and won't for some time mitigates that line of thinking a bit.

Geez, I'm gonna mark this down as having the fingerprints of the old man all over it.

Good luck Ken, you're going to need it.

Having been a long time fan as well I'd have to agree with you.

On the bright side his employment history isn't really that different from Sean Payton or even Bill Cowher when they were hired as HC's and the Cardinals imo have the personnel to run an offense like the one he had in Pittsburgh.

Lord knows we've heard Boldin compared to Hines Ward enough times.

Reaction score
and so it begins, the Wiz Era. What moves do you guys see him making in FA and the Draft?

well, i see it as being in pittsburg, he obviously knows the importance of the line, and even if we franchise Big, i think Joe Thomas is now a lock for us at 5 in the draft (if he is there). with that being said, he is an OC, but he came from a team who had a stout Defense. no coach we brought in would be happy with the current D we have. Does he go after Briggs hard in Free Agency? Clements? with drafting another DE high in the draft? thoughts?

Rats

Reaction score

Cameron and Caldwell have been successful at OC and at least have Headcoach experience in college. They both run a dynamic offense that it would seem we have the personel for. Chow's offensive genius speaks for itself for anyone that wants to look. He did more this last season with Young and a cast of suspects than anyone could have. They won and played to there strengths (Young). It was very good coaching there. If you mean by "solid :( a choice as u can get" that he has no HC experience was a special teams/ TE coach before his 2 OC years in Pitt where he caught lightning in a bottle one year and was dull the next...then yeah I can see your point.

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are also ignoring that Graves, as plainly as possible, said he did not think the staff had to be cleaned out. Do you really think that willingness to retain our current assistants had NO impact on the decision-making process?

Frankly I'd be stunned if that had been a condition of hiring. Rod Graves just isn't that stupid. A willingness to consider/interview them might have been but I have no problem with that. We just got done with arrogance, a more detailed work ethic would be welcome.

I see zero benifit to us in immediatly firing all ACs, none. To use your approach ... Do you really think it would have been better to fire them all rather than give the new HC the option of retaining the better ones ?

Conversely can you explain what the benift would have been to fire them all immediatly ?

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Cameron and Caldwell have been successful at OC and at least have Headcoach experience in college. They both run a dynamic offense that it would seem we have the personel for. Chow's offensive genius speaks for itself for anyone that wants to look. He did more this last season with Young and a cast of suspects than anyone could have. They won and played to there strengths (Young). It was very good coaching there. If you mean by "solid :( a choice as u can get" that he has no HC experience was a special teams/ TE coach before his 2 OC years in Pitt where he caught lightning in a bottle one year and was dull the next...then yeah I can see your point.

Caldwell wasn't OC for Indy he was the QB coach.I'm sure Peyton didn't need alot of help there. The Steelers were a top 10 offense with them losing their leader(Bettis), Ben recovering from the off-season and missing games because of the apendectomy,Hines Ward missing games because of injury, and losing their 3rd WR ,most dynamic player in Randle-El. That's alot more impressive than the jobs Cameron or Chow did. Cameron did do a nice job but having LT makes life a bit easier. Still he did a good job. I wasn't impressed with Tennessee's offense at all. Other than a couple of Vince Young broken play highlight runs they were very poor offensively.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
One thing about Whisenhunt, I think he will get the most out of James as well as Leinart. Pittsburgh didn't throw the ball all over the place, but they were a big play passing attack under him.

They threw all over the place this year and the number of sacks given up is evidence. Roth was sacked 46 times (up from 23) - Cards gave up 35 this year, largely in the first half of the season.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Caldwell wasn't OC for Indy he was the QB coach.I'm sure Peyton didn't need alot of help there. The Steelers were a top 10 offense with them losing their leader(Bettis), Ben recovering from the off-season and missing games because of the apendectomy,Hines Ward missing games because of injury, and losing their 3rd WR ,most dynamic player in Randle-El.

People bagging on Whiz for the offense in pittsburgh this season honestly don't know what they are talking about. Top ten offense with all the problems they had.

Plus, to begin with Big Ben is severely overrated and Whisenhunt had to coach around all of Ben's warts.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Frankly I'd be stunned if that had been a condition of hiring. Rod Graves just isn't that stupid. A willingness to consider/interview them might have been but I have no problem with that. We just got done with arrogance, a more detailed work ethic would be welcome.

I see zero benifit to us in immediatly firing all ACs, none. To use your approach ... Do you really think it would have been better to fire them all rather than give the new HC the option of retaining the better ones ?

Conversely can you explain what the benift would have been to fire them all immediatly ?

The benefit is simple: It's tells the players "Losing is COMPLETELY unacceptable! Having a defense ranked in bottom four for both yards and scoring is NOT okay! We've already been down this road before with McGinnis keeping the defensive coaches of a bad defense. That led to the most embarassing losses the Cardinals have ever suffered.

And, if you have assistants you like, you say to them:

"We really liked the job you did. We hope that after we hire the new coach, and he agrees, you will consider coming back with us. Please keep open the option of returning here. Thank you, best of luck, no matter what happens."

Rats

Reaction score
Oh, really?

1. Willie Parker PITTSBURGH 337 carries, 1494yds., 4.4yds/carry, 93.4yds/game, 13 TDs

Link:
http://www.steelers.com/team/stats/
Well, he is not known as Fast Willie Parker for nothing and alot of those yards were on reverses and sweeps. He is not known for grinding between the tackles and I watched early when they were stinking it up on offense. As was stated some of it could be due to injuries but lets not make like they had a juggernaut on the ground and there offense was genius in it's play calling. It wasn't. We signed what many feel is an up and coming coach. Fine. I feel he is not built for our personel. Hope I am wrong and we win alot of games. For the record Edge had alot of yards as well in a passing offense. Willie got his in a run first offense. I would hope he would have a lot of yards.

hafey

Registered
Reaction score
Thats is wrong. Willie Parker was very effective between the tackles. It is ok to not like the hire, I'm not even sure I do, but you can't dispute the facts like that.

Rats

Reaction score
Thats is wrong. Willie Parker was very effective between the tackles. It is ok to not like the hire, I'm not even sure I do, but you can't dispute the facts like that.

Well I had Fast Willie on my fantasy team both of the last 2 seasons and he got me alot of points so I do like him. However Vernon and the Bus seemed to get most carries between the tackles and Willie bounced outside to get his yards. I could be wrong because I was at the Cardinals games tailgaiting most of there games. But the ones I saw he wasn't huge between the tackles.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

RATS has the inalienable right to make things up to support his bias.

It's in your Constitution. :D