Cards Hire Jonathan Gannon as New HC

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I am not echoing this criticism but this will be interesting to track:

The Athletic polled nine people — a combination of general managers, personnel executives, head coaches and assistant coaches who were granted anonymity so they could speak freely — with a simple question: Who was your favorite head-coaching hire?

Panthers head coach Frank Reich received 5.5 votes to edge out DeMeco Ryans (3.5 votes) of the Texans. (One executive split his vote between the two.) Sean Payton (Broncos), Shane Steichen (Colts) and Jonathan Gannon (Cardinals) did not receive any votes. No one from the coaches’ current or most recent organizations was polled to avoid personal biases.
He and his staff represent a big gamble. I see little middle ground here. They’ll either succeed big or fail big. I rate it 50/50.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am not echoing this criticism but this will be interesting to track:

The Athletic polled nine people — a combination of general managers, personnel executives, head coaches and assistant coaches who were granted anonymity so they could speak freely — with a simple question: Who was your favorite head-coaching hire?

Panthers head coach Frank Reich received 5.5 votes to edge out DeMeco Ryans (3.5 votes) of the Texans. (One executive split his vote between the two.) Sean Payton (Broncos), Shane Steichen (Colts) and Jonathan Gannon (Cardinals) did not receive any votes. No one from the coaches’ current or most recent organizations was polled to avoid personal biases.

I don't really see much difference between Gannon and Ryans outside the former player element.

Both from top defensive units. Both from very good super bowl contenders. Both high character, high energy, motivational kind of guys. Both similar age. Both got whooped by the Chiefs.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes, playing a lot of shotgun is an NFL thing though. Playing exclusively out of shotgun was a Kyler thing that we didn’t see with McCoy, Blough, etc.
I feel like we had a convo similar to this a couple months ago where a stat show the backup QBs pretty played an identical under center/shotgun ratio compared to Kyler. Obviously, the sample size was much smaller.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Why? I get defensively but what is exciting about the offensive staff to this point?

Just my opinion, and it's just a couple of planck lengths worth, but I feel like in just a few days Gannon has somehow managed to start changing the culture of the team. To me, he gives off a completely different energy than Kliff.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
@Chopper0080 @kerouac9 Him and Kyler should get along just great:D

“I have no scheme,” he said.

Of course, he knew that needed more explanation.

“And they’re like, You're a f---ing idiot. Great, you’re going to get fired,” he said, laughing. “But literally, I don’t. I don’t even have a playbook.”

And that still needs more explanation. “It’s in my brain,” he continued, and the 41-year-old didn’t mean that in some sort of arrogant or all-knowing. Moreso, it’s founded on a belief system that grew from another fact about Gannon—“I have no tree, like, literally.” Take a look at his background, and you’ll see. It’s true.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
“Elite,” Gannon says. “I'll be honest with you: Probably—not probably—the hardest game plans I had to do this year were Kansas City and Arizona. And that stood out with me. That stuck out in my mind, like, F---ing A, this guy, and you talk about the other players he had with him, the scheme, all of it … This player’s skill set is a legit problem for a defense, because he can put you in all kinds of conflict, he can beat you with his legs and with his arm, like Jalen [Hurts] does. And that’s what excited me about him, is having gone against him, having watched all the tape on him, studying that.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The cringe in this isn't the moment. This is just an excited, enthusiatic new HC meeting a WR for the first time and trying to tell him they are going to get him the ball.

The cringe is in our god awful marketing team thinking this was a good clip to include in the release because it clearly was open to abuse.

Gannon's wife used to be Director of Marketing for Vogue. Give her the job. Our current marketing and social media people suck.
Look at the players face. The cringe is 100% in the moment.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
This part of the offseason cannot be said enough.

Keim is gone folks. And now that Michael doesn't have his golden boy GM around, real accountability can begin.
The truth could help though. Steve keim resigned. Mike isnt eating his contract.

Personally i think they had an agreement... something along the lines of, " do this Mike and if i dont have you in the super bowl in 4 years i will resign"
Keims behavior indicates he knew his fate months ago.
Speculation on my part of course. But i think thats what happened. Otherwise keim would have made mike fire him. But he resigned instead.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
The truth could help though. Steve keim resigned. Mike isnt eating his contract.

Personally i think they had an agreement... something along the lines of, " do this Mike and if i dont have you in the super bowl in 4 years i will resign"
Keims behavior indicates he knew his fate months ago.
Speculation on my part of course. But i think thats what happened. Otherwise keim would have made mike fire him. But he resigned instead.
He resigned for medical reasons. i’m not certain his contract won’t be paid.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I feel like we had a convo similar to this a couple months ago where a stat show the backup QBs pretty played an identical under center/shotgun ratio compared to Kyler. Obviously, the sample size was much smaller.
The median shotgun rate in the NFL was 66.7%. The Cards were second in the NFL in shotgun rate at 89.7%. Guess who was first.

Colt McCoy: 93.2% of passing attempts out of shotgun
Kyler Murray: 95.6% of passing attempts out of shotgun
David Blough: 86.2% of passing attempts out of shotgun
Trace McSorely: 89.2% of passing attempts out of shotgun

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He and his staff represent a big gamble. I see little middle ground here. They’ll either succeed big or fail big. I rate it 50/50.

Well, glad to see that this grey imminence agrees that the Cards spending $17 to $20m, plus draft capital on Payton, would have been a bad idea.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The median shotgun rate in the NFL was 66.7%. The Cards were second in the NFL in shotgun rate at 89.7%. Guess who was first.

Without looking it up I would say the Chiefs

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

The colt and kyler stats tell me all I need to know. Shotgun was primarily kliffy thing. It might be a kyler preference, but colt in it 93% of times speaks volumes.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I am all for giving our new team of coaches a chance before judging them, after all we don't have much of a choice. We all hope they can do what so many others have not.

But, looking at only what is on paper regarding their experience, previous positions, and results in those positions, it seems pretty evident that the Cardinals are simply waiting to locate and hire the very worst candidates they can find. What kind of perverse ownership does that? And most of all, what does that say about its fan base?

WiscoBird

Veteran
Reaction score
The cringe in this isn't the moment. This is just an excited, enthusiatic new HC meeting a WR for the first time and trying to tell him they are going to get him the ball.

The cringe is in our god awful marketing team thinking this was a good clip to include in the release because it clearly was open to abuse.

Gannon's wife used to be Director of Marketing for Vogue. Give her the job. Our current marketing and social media people suck.

Dude, that entire sequence was creepy. In the grand scheme of things it's means nothing, but to sit here and say that was completely normal is disingenuous. He looked at our slot receiver like he was a girl at the bar and then proceeded to Yosemite Sam all over the place before saying "Shots!" You could tell Rondale was confused and didn't know what to do.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
We need to get a big threat running back. This offense isn’t going to scare nor alter their defense to stop 3.9 per yard Connor. Connor does have a role on this team. But when you have a guy like Cook or Kamara they have to respect them on defense.
I would be shocked if we don’t draft or pick up a rb or free agency. Doing that will pretty much tell you the direction we are heading.
Disagree about Connor, who knows what he or any other could do in a balanced offense that actually practice the run game, had an OC or a damn running back coach!- Saxon and Krueger went down in flames!

HomerPimpson

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Dude, that entire sequence was creepy. In the grand scheme of things it's means nothing, but to sit here and say that was completely normal is disingenuous. He looked at our slot receiver like he was a girl at the bar and then proceeded to Yosemite Sam all over the place before saying "Shots!" You could tell Rondale was confused and didn't know what to do.
This is how I felt when Gannon ran to greet Kyler in the weight room when he arrived with Bidwill. It's weird. No other coach worth his salt does either of those things.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose