Cards Hire Jonathan Gannon as New HC

Brak

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Peter King interview with Gannon.. some interesting stuff here. Scroll down to "the two that got away" ...

Lots more under center offense for those who don’t want to click and scroll.

Reaction score

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Peter King interview with Gannon.. some interesting stuff here. Scroll down to "the two that got away" ...

If you want to know why Gannon will be a good head coach it's all in here but it's easy to miss the important part because it's right at the bottom after a load of other stories.

For Philadelphia, two who got away. The Colts hired offensive coordinator Shane Steichen from the Eagles’ staff as head coach; the already celebrated Brian Johnson, Sirianni’s QB coach, should fit into that role seamlessly. It won’t be as easy defensively. Jonathan Gannon, the widely respected defensive coordinator who ran everything about the Philly defense, took the Arizona head-coaching gig when it was offered by owner Michael Bidwill 24 hours after he walked off the field Sunday night. “We had to iron out a few things Tuesday morning,” Gannon told me Sunday from Arizona. “But it was pretty much done Monday night. Things happened fast. Howie Roseman told me after the game, ‘You won’t be coming back with us to Philadelphia. You’re staying here to interview for the Cardinals job.’” That’s when he officially learned the Cards requested permission for him to interview.

A quick conversation with the new Arizona coach:

FMIA: Kyler Murray’s been a little bit of a polarizing figure. How did he figure into you taking this job?

Gannon: “If Kyler Murray isn’t here, I don’t take this job. I think this offense will look much different. This guy does things that it completely handcuffs you how you play defense – at times. I think we can take him to another level and unleash his full skill set. We’re not gonna put him in gun all the time, I’ll tell you that. We’ll have two significant offenses with his skill set: one being under center and one being in the gun. Then obviously we’re gonna do what’s comfortable with him. The way to take pressure off the quarterback and the O-line is to put him under center at times. That’s the missing piece I thought they had with Kyler. They were in gun all the time. When you’re in gun all the time, you don’t make the defense defend certain play types. Now, when you get him under center, the defense has to defend a lot more type of play types. So there’s really two offenses I see us using.”

FMIA: Sounds like you were ready to leave, but it wasn’t easy.

Gannon: “I loved Philly. I love Mr. Lurie [owner Jeffrey Lurie]. I love Howie Roseman. I love Nick Sirianni. They came back and they were like, here’s a new offer. It’s gonna pay you more than being a head coach. That’s cool and I loved it there but I wanted to be a head coach and I was excited about this because of Mr. Bidwill—Michael, as he would say—[GM] Monti Ossenfort, and Kyler.”

FMIA: Reportedly, you are going to hire 29- and 35-year-old coordinators (defensive coordinator Nick Rallis, 29, and 35-year-old OC Drew Petzing). You have conviction on both young coaches?

Gannon: “One hundred percent convicted. You know, I talked about in the interview and the other guys that I interviewed for those jobs were all on the younger side, too, probably. One defensive guy was a little bit older. Age isn’t a prerequisite for firepower. I’ve always thought that. When we got to Philly, we had the youngest staff in the NFL. There’s a reason that our [players] ran into the building to come to work. I love that. I’m gonna have some guys with major, major experience worked into the staff because I value that, too. But as far as who’s running the offense and the defense, age was never a factor for me – what was in their brain and what was in their heart is. It’s capacity and character. That’s what I’m looking for in a staff.”

America doesn’t know Gannon. It certainly doesn’t know his coordinators. In 25 minutes on the phone Sunday, I learned Gannon doesn’t lack for enthusiasm.

“One of my biggest mentors is Mike Zimmer. Is my personality the same as Mike Zimmer? No, it is not. Am I in alignment with a lot of things that he did as a head coach for discipline, accountability, player performance? You bet your ass I am. That’s not saying like I’m a tough guy. Because I’m probably gonna run that more like Nick. They’re completely different personality types. But I’ll say this: Someone that worked around me would never say I’m soft on people.”

Gannon will need some patience. This team in the last 14-and-a-half months went from the NFC’s top seed in 2021 to a disaster area by the end of 2022. This roster needs a retooling, at minimum, and will be without Murray for a number of games as he recovers from his torn ACL.

I love all of this.

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Many agreed the Gannon hire would come down to what kind of staff he could bring with him. Bringing two mystery boxes is one route I guess.

Out of interest what none mystery boxes did you want?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I thought this was a bad lip reading bit. I think it is the real deal. Not saying anything but it is super cringe haha

The cringe in this isn't the moment. This is just an excited, enthusiatic new HC meeting a WR for the first time and trying to tell him they are going to get him the ball.

The cringe is in our god awful marketing team thinking this was a good clip to include in the release because it clearly was open to abuse.

Gannon's wife used to be Director of Marketing for Vogue. Give her the job. Our current marketing and social media people suck.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gannon: “If Kyler Murray isn’t here, I don’t take this job. I think this offense will look much different. This guy does things that it completely handcuffs you how you play defense – at times. I think we can take him to another level and unleash his full skill set. We’re not gonna put him in gun all the time, I’ll tell you that. We’ll have two significant offenses with his skill set: one being under center and one being in the gun. Then obviously we’re gonna do what’s comfortable with him. The way to take pressure off the quarterback and the O-line is to put him under center at times. That’s the missing piece I thought they had with Kyler. They were in gun all the time. When you’re in gun all the time, you don’t make the defense defend certain play types. Now, when you get him under center, the defense has to defend a lot more type of play types. So there’s really two offenses I see us using.”
How many times have we talked about this?

Sounds like JG will make him play under the center, which will be beneficial for play calling and play action

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
How many times have we talked about this?

Sounds like JG will make him play under the center, which will be beneficial for play calling and play action
I never stopped saying this against all grumbles since Denny Greene - got tossed off the cards main board for it! all of our teams would be better if balanced, times we had any run game we won big, yet passed at least 2-1 ! Edge, beanie, cJ, DJ, and now Connor - that is the reason we have no Super Bowl win with the talent and opportunities we’ve had. leinart, Warner, Palmer and Kyler could and would have been more effective, if the run game was a primary weapon.

that said I’ll believe when I see it. everything built around kyler is ok, but others have to share the load, to make him the best he can be. cards have to be good without him, to make them great with him. See what happens early next season.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never stopped saying this against all grumbles since Denny Greene - got tossed off the cards main board for it! all of our teams would be better if balanced, times we had any run game we won big, yet passed at least 2-1 ! Edge, beanie, cJ, DJ, and now Connor - that is the reason we have no Super Bowl win with the talent and opportunities we’ve had. leinart, Warner, Palmer and Kyler could and would have been more effective, if the run game was a primary weapon.

that said I’ll believe when I see it. everything built around kyler is ok, but others have to share the load, to make him the best he can be. cards have to be good without him, to make them great with him. See what happens early next season.
We need to get a big threat running back. This offense isn’t going to scare nor alter their defense to stop 3.9 per yard Connor. Connor does have a role on this team. But when you have a guy like Cook or Kamara they have to respect them on defense.
I would be shocked if we don’t draft or pick up a rb or free agency. Doing that will pretty much tell you the direction we are heading.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
We need to get a big threat running back. This offense isn’t going to scare nor alter their defense to stop 3.9 per yard Connor. Connor does have a role on this team. But when you have a guy like Cook or Kamara they have to respect them on defense.
I would be shocked if we don’t draft or pick up a rb or free agency. Doing that will pretty much tell you the direction we are heading.
Who, aside from Barkley, is worthy of FA money?

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
the offensive vision is coming into focus:

Gannon earlier had said they will live in 11, 12 and 13 personnel

Now -- a signficant portion of the offense will be Kyler under center

the offense i think will take on a very Rams flavor

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The cringe in this isn't the moment. This is just an excited, enthusiatic new HC meeting a WR for the first time and trying to tell him they are going to get him the ball.

The cringe is in our god awful marketing team thinking this was a good clip to include in the release because it clearly was open to abuse.

Gannon's wife used to be Director of Marketing for Vogue. Give her the job. Our current marketing and social media people suck.
The next thing that needs to go.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gannon: "We’re not gonna put him in gun all the time, I’ll tell you that. We’ll have two significant offenses with his skill set: one being under center and one being in the gun. Then obviously we’re gonna do what’s comfortable with him. The way to take pressure off the quarterback and the O-line is to put him under center at times. That’s the missing piece I thought they had with Kyler. They were in gun all the time. When you’re in gun all the time, you don’t make the defense defend certain play types. Now, when you get him under center, the defense has to defend a lot more type of play types. So there’s really two offenses I see us using."
Praise Jesus!!! A coach who understands how the NFL works.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not echoing this criticism but this will be interesting to track:

The Athletic polled nine people — a combination of general managers, personnel executives, head coaches and assistant coaches who were granted anonymity so they could speak freely — with a simple question: Who was your favorite head-coaching hire?

Panthers head coach Frank Reich received 5.5 votes to edge out DeMeco Ryans (3.5 votes) of the Texans. (One executive split his vote between the two.) Sean Payton (Broncos), Shane Steichen (Colts) and Jonathan Gannon (Cardinals) did not receive any votes. No one from the coaches’ current or most recent organizations was polled to avoid personal biases.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I still can’t believe people thought Kyler not wanting to play under center was a Kyler problem like McCoy & other backups weren’t playing in shotgun a lot more times than under center as well.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I still can’t believe people thought Kyler not wanting to play under center was a Kyler problem like McCoy & other backups weren’t playing in shotgun a lot more times than under center as well.
Yes, playing a lot of shotgun is an NFL thing though. Playing exclusively out of shotgun was a Kyler thing that we didn’t see with McCoy, Blough, etc.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave