Cardinals Sign QB Jake Coker, Alabama

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
With those stats right there, I am surprised he didn't get drafted.

His stats last year were identical to Sims and McCarron's senior stats. Alabama has the best OL, RB's and WR's every year. The fact that Kiffin runs more of a pro-style offense is intriguing.

Capital Card

The Kobayashi of Kool-Aid
Reaction score
Barkley vs Coker in 2016.

I see Barkley beating him out fairly easily. Alabama never really know for putting their QB's into a position to develop skills to be successful at the NFL level.... though I'll bet he can hand off to CJ2k and DJ like a champ.

I just don't see Coker being able to improve on his accuracy issues, nor changing his quick to tuck it and run style.

I think Barkley throws a more accurate ball, but I don't think he can sling it down the field, which is what is needed for our offense to open up the underneath routes for Fitz, and give our RB's room to run before getting hit in the second level.

Neither player will ever be a viable QB of the future in the NFL; but, maybe one can develop into our Stanton of the future...

Go Cards!!!

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Coker's best asset in college was handing the ball off to Henry and managing the game. I'm certainly not a fan of Barkley, but he proved before the shoulder injury in college that he could push the ball forward with relative efficiency.

Let's not overthink this--Coker is a camp body.

8ndkorner

Registered
Reaction score
Good low risk signing. If they can do something with him there could be a big upside. If not, no big deal. I noticed he has "happy feet" sometimes in the pocket and if they could fix some of his mechanics? Could be interesting.

A fidgety Coker? No surprise there.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cardinals coach Arians: Jake Coker has size, skill and moxie

http://arizonasports.com/story/648013/cardinals-coach-arians-jake-coker-has-size-skill-and-moxie/

Many thought the Arizona Cardinals would leave the NFL Draft with a quarterback, either spending one of their six picks to acquire one or making a trade that would ensure they could select a passer.

Those people were wrong.

The Cardinals had opportunities to take quarterbacks, yes, but in each round ultimately decided they were better off addressing other positions.

Monday, however, they did add another QB to a group that includes starter Carson Palmer and backups Drew Stanton and Matt Barkley, agreeing to terms with undrafted rookie free agent Jake Coker.

Coker led Alabama to a College Football Playoff championship last January, and as a senior completed 66.9 percent of his passes for 3,110 yards with 21 touchdowns and eight interceptions.

“Just watching him grow his senior year and winning the national championship, he got better and better,” Cardinals coach Bruce Arians said Monday while promoting the 2nd annual Arians Family Foundation Fundraiser at Steak 44. “And they started leaning on him.”

Arians pointed out Heisman Trophy winner Derrick Henry as someone who played a big role for the Crimson Tide as well, and he’s right to do so. But in two playoff games (including the championship contest) Coker threw for a combined 621 yards with four touchdowns, and he finished the season having not thrown an interception in his last five games.

“He won the games throwing the football in critical downs, and watching him grow — really can’t wait to get our hands on him this weekend and watch him grow with us,” Arians added. “He’s got the size, he’s got the skill; he’s got a lot of moxie about him.

“So yeah, I’m very anxious to get him here.”

Indeed, the 6-foot-5, 232-pound Coker looks the part of not only an NFL quarterback, but the type of quarterback Arians likes to have on his roster. He will get a chance to impress the coaching staff during the team’s rookie minicamp, which will take place at the end of the week, and as long as he performs well will likely get an invitation to training camp.

And lest you think Coker would be more of a camp arm than a competitor for a roster spot, Arians pointed to one of last year’s undrafted rookie free agents as an example of what a good offseason can do for a player.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
The dreaded "moxie" !!! Coach Whis will never live that down, lol

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
The dreaded "moxie" !!! Coach Whis will never live that down, lol

Personally, I think "Gift from God" (Denny Green about Matt Leinart) is much worse than "Moxie", which I know is a party line for this message board.

Reaction score
So he is missing the most important QB trait, accuracy. I'm sorry, this cannot be taught. Period.

Huh? 66.9% is pretty dang good. What do you call good accuracy? Top NFL QB's are averaging in the 60 percentile. :shrug:

p.s. Tom Brady is 63.6% for his career

p.s.s. Brady was 64.4% last year

Last edited:

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Huh? 66.9% is pretty dang good. What do you call good accuracy? Top NFL QB's are averaging in the 60 percentile. :shrug:

p.s. Tom Brady is 63.6% for his career

p.s.s. Brady was 64.4% last year

AJ McCarron was an accurate passer at Alabama as was Blake Sims and Greg McElroy.

Competition % isn't the end-all accuracy determining factor. If that was the case then just about every decent college QB would get drafted.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
AJ McCarron was an accurate passer at Alabama as was Blake Sims and Greg McElroy.

Competition % isn't the end-all accuracy determining factor. If that was the case then just about every decent college QB would get drafted.

It is not the end all of desired traits but number one in my opinion and actually if you look at the college QBs now entering the draft, it would not be every decent college QB... most of these guys struggle even to be 60% which get drafted and of course they do no end up playing long in the NFL

Lagerfilled

Professional Tailgater
Reaction score
YPA + Completion % are the best indicators of overall accuracy as well as low Interception numbers. If it's a high comp % on mostly check downs, then that's different than high comp % on down field throws.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Scalped this assessment, don't know the source: Coker has good size and a strong arm, but looks like a project for the NFL. He has a long windup in his delivery and lacks athleticism in the pocket. Coker didn't impress at the Senior Bowl. As one source said, "Coker is a poor man's Mike Glennon." Coker could easily go undrafted.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
it seems like finding a QBOF via undrafted free agent, or at least a servicable QB via undrafted free agent is just as likely as drafting one in rounds 3-7

there are enough markers there to suggest they might have something with Coker -- physical tools but not a lot of experience

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
it seems like finding a QBOF via undrafted free agent, or at least a servicable QB via undrafted free agent is just as likely as drafting one in rounds 3-7

there are enough markers there to suggest they might have something with Coker -- physical tools but not a lot of experience

Physical tools, limited experience, but the experience he has is good experience. He managed the top team in the NCAA to a title. He is athletic. I've watched a lot of highlights of his delivery and I don't get the criticism. To me, he just seems relaxed and not in a hurry. But who am I? Certainly no QB guru.

Seems to me he is a better prospect than Logan Thomas.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Ralphie: Ohhhh fuuudge!

Ralphie as Adult: [narrating] Only I didn't say "Fudge." I said THE word, the big one, the queen-mother of dirty words, the "F-dash-dash-dash" word!

Mr. Parker: [stunned] *What* did you say?

Ralphie: Uh, um...

Mr. Parker: That's... what I thought you said. Get in the car. Go on!

Ralphie as Adult: [narrating] It was all over - I was dead. What would it be? The guillotine? Hanging? The chair? The rack? The Chinese water torture? Hmmph. Mere child's play compared to what surely awaited me. It was, it was the dreaded MOXIE!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard