Cardinals Sign QB Jake Coker, Alabama

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Ralphie as Adult: [narrating] Meanwhile, I struggled for exactly the right QBOTF hint. It had to be firm, but subtle.

Ralphie: Bruce said Coker got MOXIE from Pulaski's candy store!

[everyone stares at Ralphie]

Ralphie as Adult: [narrating] They looked at me as if I had lobsters crawling out of my ears.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Physical tools, limited experience, but the experience he has is good experience. He managed the top team in the NCAA to a title. He is athletic. I've watched a lot of highlights of his delivery and I don't get the criticism. To me, he just seems relaxed and not in a hurry. But who am I? Certainly no QB guru.

Seems to me he is a better prospect than Logan Thomas.

Yeah, it baffles me as to whether people even watch the same games I do. A lot of people wanted Thomas to eat a roster space last year so his suckage could continue to "develop". It took the Dolphins about two entire practices to decide LT was crap.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Screw it, I am going to call it right now, Cocker has a good chance to be our QOTF. He has the arm strength. He has accuracy. He won a National Championship. He has Moore and Arians with Palmer in place to mentor him... and the other options at QB of recent in the draft hardly have offered a better solution lol

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Screw it, I am going to call it right now, Cocker has a good chance to be our QOTF. He has the arm strength. He has accuracy. He won a National Championship. He has Moore and Arians with Palmer in place to mentor him... and the other options at QB of recent in the draft hardly have offered a better solution lol

I agree. He's the best prospect as a rookie that we have had since Leinart. IMHO. It boggles my mind that so many people supported the Logan Thomas pick, when you had no clue, and he had no clue probably, exactly where his passes would wind up. Then,they write off Coker as an UDFA as garbage.

Brak

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yeah, it baffles me as to whether people even watch the same games I do. A lot of people wanted Thomas to eat a roster space last year so his suckage could continue to "develop". It took the Dolphins about two entire practices to decide LT was crap.

Hardly a good measure of his worth - the Dolphins have done virtually NOTHING right since Dan Marino retired.

That said, I totally agree that he was a complete waste of a roster spot. The Dolphins got lucky and got this one right. Too bad they can't make a right decision on a GOOD player or two.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hardly a good measure of his worth - the Dolphins have done virtually NOTHING right since Dan Marino retired.

That said, I totally agree that he was a complete waste of a roster spot. The Dolphins got lucky and got this one right. Too bad they can't make a right decision on a GOOD player or two.

I think my point is actually strengthed BECAUSE it was a QB poor franchise like Miami instead of someplace like Indy or NE. And, he has dropped off the radar completely ever since the Dolphins cut him. Not surprising when a bad QB team like the Dolphins gives up on the player so quickly.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
apparently LT is still active with the fins..

Dolphins promote QB Logan Thomas
Wed, Dec 16, 2015 01:22:00 PM

Dolphins sign QB Logan Thomas to P.S.
Wed, Sep 16, 2015 11:40:00 AM

Dolphins axe backup Logan Thomas
Fri, Sep 11, 2015 04:31:00 PM

Dolphins claim project QB Logan Thomas
Sun, Sep 6, 2015 12:56:00 PM

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
apparently LT is still active with the fins..

Dolphins promote QB Logan Thomas
Wed, Dec 16, 2015 01:22:00 PM

Dolphins sign QB Logan Thomas to P.S.
Wed, Sep 16, 2015 11:40:00 AM

Dolphins axe backup Logan Thomas
Fri, Sep 11, 2015 04:31:00 PM

Dolphins claim project QB Logan Thomas
Sun, Sep 6, 2015 12:56:00 PM

Thanks for the update. I hadn't heard about that. I strike all of my comments on Thomas, as I was clearly ignorant of his status. Actually, I still think he sucks, and even at this point, is a worse prospect than Coker.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Thanks for the update. I hadn't heard about that. I strike all of my comments on Thomas, as I was clearly ignorant of his status. Actually, I still think he sucks, and even at this point, is a worse prospect than Coker.

I was one who had high hopes for Thomas.... mostly due to measurable and an overconfidence in our staff

wont make either mistake again.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
What's going on with his mechanics? Looks like his release is out of sync with his footwork... Reminds me a bit of Skelton which would be a grand slam outcome based on being a UFDA.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have heard some criticize his accuracy but he completed 67% of his throws this year. Supposedly he is a leader and manages the field well. He can make all the throws. He has the size. He obviously can play well under pressure with an ncaa title under his belt. I guess the biggest knock is that the huge talent around him made him look better than he actually was.

I am no scout and I certainly can't see what they see. There must have been a reason he went undrafted.

Last edited:

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I have heard some criticize his accuracy but he completed 67% of his throws this year. Supposedly he is a leader and manages the field well. He can make all the throws. He has the size. He obviously can play well under pressure with an ncaa title under his belt. I guess the biggest knock is that the huge talent around him made him look better than he actually was.

I am no scout and I certainly can't see what they see. There must have been a reason he went undrafted.

Nice

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Coker will need a fair amount of work. Watching those highlights he got lucky throwing into double and triple coverage and his receivers bailed him out. They could have easily been INTs. Doesn't look down field once he escapes pressure and is looking to run only. The last highlight he saw the receiver get behind the defense early and knew he would be there so once he escaped the pressure looked for him again. Right now he is more of a one read and done QB. The Alabama run game took a lot of pressure off him so they ran a lot of play action to give him more time and he still stared down his receivers. They also rolled him out a lot which was designed to give him run options.

He will need a lot of coaching at the NFL level to shorten up his delivery and improve his footwork. He will also need to work on his progressions and keep his eyes down field.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
For those interested, I've found the "draft breakdown" videos to be the most informative. They aren't highlight reels, they're every pass play from a QB so you get to see the good and bad. On top of that, it's been edited so you don't have to watch a whole game or fast forward through non-passing plays and down time between plays. Here's one for Coker vs. Wisconsin 2015:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

He probably tries to do too much at times with extending plays but IMO, shows some good escapability, accuracy on the move and a pretty strong arm. His release may not be lightning quick, but I don't think it's particularly slow.

As has been proved time and again, you just don't know if a guy is going to be able to acclimate and process the speed of the game at the NFL level so this is a good value pick by Arians. Seems to have all the physical tools and if he can "see" the game, you've struck gold.

Last edited by a moderator:

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
this guy is much better then the other qbs selected outside of the first round
probably is best UDFA qb since Tony Romo

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
For those interested, I've found the "draft breakdown" videos to be the most informative. They aren't highlight reels, they're every pass play from a QB so you get to see the good and bad. On top of that, it's been edited so you don't have to watch a whole game or fast forward through non-passing plays and down time between plays. Here's one for Coker vs. Wisconsin 2015:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rLmo9pKYr0

He probably tries to do too much at times with extending plays but IMO, shows some good escapability, accuracy on the move and a pretty strong arm. His release may not be lightning quick, but I don't think it's particularly slow.

As has been proved time and again, you just don't know if a guy is going to be able to acclimate and process the speed of the game at the NFL level so this is a good value pick by Arians. Seems to have all the physical tools and if he can "see" the game, you've struck gold.

He has a strong arm, and he was zipping a few into the middle of the field. The strength of his arm was also on display on the deep passes, having hardly any arc unlike a guy with a weak arm throwing a punt that hangs in the air but it would be better if he could put some air under the ball. I do not know if it was because people where not open on the sacks or a lack of reading the field but I rather have a guy take a sack than throw a int. My only concern is what you stated, by watching this game and his ability to make quick decisions in the NFL... his accuracy was there when he found his man

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
To me, I cannot believe Jake Coker has been so under the radar---especially in light of the way he performed in the NCAA playoffs and Championship Game. He was highly efficient, poised and productive versus excellent defenses. He went 14-0 for crying out loud---and Bama lost the one game he didn't start.

Just last night I am watching ESPN's Draft Grades Special and when they got to the UDFA segment, they only listed two notable UDFA QBs: Vernon Adams and Mike Bercovici.

Watching this Wisconsin tape---again versus a very good defense---and let's not forget this was the first game of the season---his setups were textbook, he was very poised and highly efficient. Plus, even though the announcers keep saying Coker 'is not a runner," he showed good feet, save one of the sacks where he didn't feel the pressure soon enough and tried too late to escape. Big, strong and tough---just the way BA likes his QBs.

Last edited:

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
To me, I cannot believe Jake Coker has been so under the radar---especially in light of the way he performed in the NCAA playoffs and Championship Game. He was highly efficient, poised and productive versus excellent defenses. He went 14-0 for crying out loud---and Bama lost the one game he didn't start.

Just last night I am watching ESPN's Draft Grades Special and when they got to the UDFA segment, they only listed two notable UDFA QBs: Vernon Adams and Mike Bercovici.

Watching this Wisconsin tape---again versus a very good defense---and let's not forget this was the first game of the season---his setups were textbook, he was very poised and highly efficient. Plus, even though the announcers keep saying Coker 'is not a runner," he showed good feet, save one of the sacks where he didn't feel the pressure soon enough and tried too late to escape. Big, strong and tough---just the way BA likes his QBs.

Mitch, if you watched the video above it's pretty apparent he is at this time a one read QB. Even on a couple of plays where he had time he didn't go through any progressions and instead tucked it and ran. The Bama offense is based on a strong running game which opens up the deep pass where he get a lot of his yardage and skill at the running back position which got a lot of YAC yards. There has to be reasons why he went undrafted especially in the NFL which is always QB hungry. If he was that good, he would have gone somewhere in the draft. What you are saying is 32 teams passed over him 7 times when half don't even have a decent backup QB. Hackenberg went in the 2nd round and if you compare his highlights and stats to Coker, then Coker looks like an All Pro.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Mitch, if you watched the video above it's pretty apparent he is at this time a one read QB. Even on a couple of plays where he had time he didn't go through any progressions and instead tucked it and ran. The Bama offense is based on a strong running game which opens up the deep pass where he get a lot of his yardage and skill at the running back position which got a lot of YAC yards. There has to be reasons why he went undrafted especially in the NFL which is always QB hungry. If he was that good, he would have gone somewhere in the draft. What you are saying is 32 teams passed over him 7 times when half don't even have a decent backup QB. Hackenberg went in the 2nd round and if you compare his highlights and stats to Coker, then Coker looks like an All Pro.

Cardpa, most college QBs are one-read, check down QBs.

It is mystifying to me that Coker was not drafted.

He played in pro-style offense---which as BA says is huge these days.

He was coached by a one-time NFL HC and OC, Lane Kiffen.

I think it was the small sample size...the fact that Bama players are being more heavily scrutinized because of recent high-profile draft disappointments...and perhaps on account of Nick Saban describing Coker as having the potential to be a decent backup. Plus, he wasn't invited to the Combine...not sure why. He had a good week at the Senior Bowl, started the game as all Bama players do there, but as for the other starter Carson Wentz, did not put up great numbers. Then, he missed his Pro Day because of a toe injury. I think scouts just did not see enough of him.

I think Coker is more talented than A.J. McCarron. And I like McCarron and feel that he can be a solid starter in the NFL when the time is right. He's played pretty well when called upon thus far.

Last edited:

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Yea for an undrafted QB he looks to have good potential.

I'm interested to see what he can do. I think he makes #3

Reign Blood

Tattooed Hundredaire
Reaction score
I believe he went undrafted because he only started his senior year. But he only won the national championship so...

No invite at the confine...well my guess is he doesn't know the right people? A lot of talent goes unnoticed sometimes as some players get the limelight that isn't deserved. Aka Johnny Manziel.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
I just read this thread for the first time and I see that many on here saw the same things I did while watch film on this kid. My biggest concern was how he basically went unnoticed at the senior bowl. But I agree with those that said this kid has as good a chance at making a roster as any QB drafted after round 3 or so. So no risk at giving him a look.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort