Cardinals Head Coaching Candidates 2023

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
What’s the situation with brining in OC/DC as the same job for us? I know it used to be possible to hire a coordinator from another team as your coordinator if you offered a promotion, like to assistant HC. Could we pry Kafka away as OC & assistant HC for Anarumo??

Trying to convince someone who just competed and lost a job to accept becoming his underling is no easy task.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Both will be by Zoom, it seems.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
The only reason I can see them waiting until Friday, is probably this interview will go in to staff details and they want to give them time to see who'd they hire and bring with them. At least that's all I can really think of.

Nitro Bengal

Reaction score
I have been a member of this site for years due to being a huge Suns fan. But with that said, when it comes to football I bleed orange and black. Lou has been a GREAT coach and coordinator for my Bengals. When he first came on board with Taylor I was not impressed, but after he got his guys in and they bought into his system, he has been the Bengals best coach I feel! He doesn't get the credit he deserves due to everyone riding Burrow and the offenses nuts, but he is a hell of a coach. He is the one coach I feel if the Bengals lose, it will set them back. Just my two cents as a Bengals fan.

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Anarumo I think would make a good head coach. Kyler? Then get a good OC and QB coach

Right. Both Anarumo and Dave Sears (who they just hired as assistant GM) has a long history with Ben Johnson, but he is right now a very successful OC for the Lions, so they would probably not let him leave. Dave Pitcher, quarterback coach for the Bengals, could very well be his OC choice.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
I have been a member of this site for years due to being a huge Suns fan. But with that said, when it comes to football I bleed orange and black. Lou has been a GREAT coach and coordinator for my Bengals. When he first came on board with Taylor I was not impressed, but after he got his guys in and they bought into his system, he has been the Bengals best coach I feel! He doesn't get the credit he deserves due to everyone riding Burrow and the offenses nuts, but he is a hell of a coach. He is the one coach I feel if the Bengals lose, it will set them back. Just my two cents as a Bengals fan.
Thank you for the input...and Welcome to the board.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Both will be by Zoom, it seems.

I cannot think of any logical reason for the timeline of this coaching search. Why are we conducting the second interview over Zoom late next week? If we are waiting for the Philly coordinators then why didn’t we just interview them earlier when we were able to? Philly’s OC had his SECOND interview with the Colts today. Nothing makes any logical sense.

Last edited:

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not concerned as some on the HC choice being dragged out so long. We needed to hire a solid GM from outside the organization which we did in Monti. Bidwill and all of us wanted Payton which did not happen. So, we went out and interviewed several new candidates this past week and are going to have two of them (maybe more?) for the 2nd interview this week. This week also happens to be Super Bowl week in Arizona and scheduling everything is a mess. MB is very involved with making the Super Bowl a very positive PR success. It is not hurting us to be slow on hiring a HC as taking our time makes sense, Some are saying the best assistant coaches will be gone which I feel is BS. My problem like many of you is the lack of patience.

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I am a little concerned about how long this is taking, but at this point I have to assume it's going to be one of the three on the second round of interviews, which is a little odd since only one of them made it into the initial round of interviews. It's not like we couldn't have made time for Anarumo or Kafka early on either.

I'm leaning Anarumo, intrigued but concerned with Kafka, and would be a little disappointed with Glenn, but will approach it from a place of positivity. I don't want Vance Joseph.

Kafka feels like he could be a bit of Kliff 2.0. Glenn's at least been around the game for a long time, and has a decent amount of experience across different teams in both a career and coaching, so I feel like he's seen a lot of what leads to success.

Anarumo's wealth of experience makes him more of a Solar7 type coach.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am a little concerned about how long this is taking, but at this point I have to assume it's going to be one of the three on the second round of interviews, which is a little odd since only one of them made it into the initial round of interviews. It's not like we couldn't have made time for Anarumo or Kafka early on either.

I'm leaning Anarumo, intrigued but concerned with Kafka, and would be a little disappointed with Glenn, but will approach it from a place of positivity. I don't want Vance Joseph.

Kafka feels like he could be a bit of Kliff 2.0. Glenn's at least been around the game for a long time, and has a decent amount of experience across different teams in both a career and coaching, so I feel like he's seen a lot of what leads to success.

Anarumo's wealth of experience makes him more of a Solar7 type coach.
***** getting serious when @Solar7 refers to himself in the 3rd person

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This is silly. The media is the medium for Kyler to tell his story. The media isn't attacking him.

These guys are all ex players and current coaches. Kyler disregarding his responsibilty to represent himself and the Cardinals through the media allows stories like this to become fact.

What other player in the league, especially a Quarterback, would allow "He doesn't study" to become an established narrative without correcting the record? Even if it's true you lie, you don't allow your reputation to become "He's the QB that doesn't study and just plays COD". He's let himself become a laughing stock. A meme.

This is only one example. I've seen 50 more similar to this clip below in the past 7 months. Yet not once has Kyler spoken out about it. He could easily go on a dozen NFL shows and easily correct this as part of a wider interview. It's gross negligence for him to allow this story to fester.

The week that the “study clause” broke Kyler did publicly defend himself. He was fired up that day and said it’s disrespectful and not true.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Josh Weinfuss

This is a guy to watch

Bengals DC Lou Anaumo getting second interview with Arizona Cardinals, per source, as @mikegarofolo said. Had first interview this week and made quick impression.
As soon as one of his defenders (Ossai) committed a personal foul to help the other team (Kansas City) get within FG range to win the game I knew whoever coached that kind of undisciplined play would fit right in here in Bird City. SMH.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
As soon as one of his defenders (Ossai) committed a personal foul to help the other team (Kansas City) get within FG range to win the game I knew whoever coached that kind of undisciplined play would fit right in here in Bird City. SMH.
Bad take right there.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I cannot think of any logical reason for the timeline of this coaching search. Why are we conducting the second interview over Zoom late next week? If we are waiting for the Philly coordinators then why didn’t we just interview them earlier when we were able to? Philly’s OC had his SECOND interview with the Colts today. Nothing makes any logical sense.

That their logic escapes you does not, by definition, make it illogical. ;)