Cardinals Head Coaching Candidates 2023

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The week that the “study clause” broke Kyler did publicly defend himself. He was fired up that day and said it’s disrespectful and not true.

He did. In the Cardinals press conference about his new deal that about 400 people watched.

I was one. He just laughed about it. He never countered it. He didn't say "I do 15 hours a week". He didn't talk about much he studies at all.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In his announcement for their coaching search, MB did say "I don't know if we're as broken as people think."

That has the sounds of someone ready to run it back with some of the same coaches and staff.

It has the sound of someone who's roster had a mass of injuries.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Cannot deny that he's done that. And because of his athleticism he probably got away with that move from the time he was playing pee wee straight through college. NFL DC's will eventually take that away from you as soon as they recognize that it's your go to move. A good HC/QB coach/OC will coach that out of a QB, so what is it? I think some of it is habit. you always revert to bad habits under pressure. I've bowled semi-professionally my whole life & bad habits creep in when I'm under the gun to make something happen & I have worked on eliminating those habits for 30+ years lol. I do believe that the coaching that Murray has received hasn't helped either. So, bottom line, it's a combination of all three. Bad habits, poor OL, poor coaching. Hoping that better coaching, better OL, and Murray working to eliminate that spin move altogether (he doesn't do it nearly as often as he did in years 1 & 2) can help him moving forward.
:thumbup:

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The longer VJ hangs around the more I think he will be retained in some fashion, which is not ideal at all. If he does stay and Lou is the HC it better be Lou’s defense and playcalling
I've been thinking that also

MB forcing a new HC to use VJ for the DC so save $

Very sad if that comes true

The HC would be getting sabotaged from the start

General Chaos

Gronko = Man Beast
Reaction score
I've been thinking that also

MB forcing a new HC to use VJ for the DC so save $

Very sad if that comes true

The HC would be getting sabotaged from the start
I know it’s fun to pile on Bidwill, but he has opened his coin purse to get rid of Keim and Kliff, then hired two external FOs guys when a cheaper in-house solution was available. He’s not going to force VJ to save like $2m after what else he’s committed to. He might suggest the new HC looks at VJ because he respects him, but the narrative of saving money is getting old and tired.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I know it’s fun to pile on Bidwill, but he has opened his coin purse to get rid of Keim and Kliff, then hired two external FOs guys when a cheaper in-house solution was available. He’s not going to force VJ to save like $2m after what else he’s committed to. He might suggest the new HC looks at VJ because he respects him, but the narrative of saving money is getting old and tired.
Exactly!!!

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Exactly!!!
Let's see how it plays out

Hopefully you both are right

Strange how VJ hasn't interviewed for any other teams openings

And with how many times this team has punched us it the gut we have to be prepared for the worst

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very sad that even if this is untrue, it will be the narrative on this site.
You must swim in Koolaid

This is a sports forum where we talk about our team

Positive and shortcomings

And we've more shortcomings than positives for a long time

I come here to share and to vent how I see fit

Reactions: PJ1

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You must swim in Koolaid

This is a sports forum where we talk about our team

Positive and shortcomings

And we've more shortcomings than positives for a long time

I come here to share and to vent how I see fit

As said, your narrative is chiselled in stone if VJ remains the D-C.

The idea that MB would force VJ on the new H-C to save a few million after eating Keim's and KK's contracts borders the ridiculous.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As said, your narrative is chiselled in stone if VJ remains the D-C.

The idea that MB would force VJ on the new H-C to save a few million after eating Keim's and KK's contracts borders the ridiculous.
I don't put it past MB

Is he going to do it?

We'll have to wait and see

But with the history of this club, it's possible

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Proof that players shouldn't be involved in choosing coaches.
Or owners.

They should hire a GM and let the GM select a coach and then step back and let the football people run the team. Otherwise, the GM is just a figurehead without much power at all.

Reactions: PJ1

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well thank you Michael for attempting to clean up a huge mess you alone created.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Very tired. MB has shown he is willing to spend. In fact I think we would all agree, he has wasted a lot of money. Spending money doesn’t mean it’s well spent.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Or owners.

They should hire a GM and let the GM select a coach and then step back and let the football people run the team. Otherwise, the GM is just a figurehead without much power at all.
That’s false. The GM does a ton more than select the head coach. Probably more that contributes to the results on the field.

I think Michael has a flawed vision of how decisions should be made in an NFL organization where he’s quite involved or at least everyone’s direct report.

cardcrazy

Registered
Reaction score
I don’t see how being a successful OC/DC correlates to being a good HC.
A good HC should be a “leader of men”, have enough NFL experience to make in game decisions (players, strategy adjustments, time clock, etc) and the ability to manage his coordinators and position coaches to create a winning team.
A HC candidates interview should be based on these things and not how well he performed as a Coordinator.
If he has performed well as a Coordinator but hasn’t any HC experience or at the least shown strong HC qualities then its a gamble to hire him.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Let's see how it plays out

Hopefully you both are right

Strange how VJ hasn't interviewed for any other teams openings

And with how many times this team has punched us it the gut we have to be prepared for the worst

well no... its not.

vance is under contract. the only way a team can poach him is with a promotion.... so he didnt get looked at for any head coach positions... coaches from losing teams rarely do.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It could be a sticking point that Bidwill has told potential HC candidates that VJ must be retained. Just a wild guess.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
well no... its not.

vance is under contract. the only way a team can poach him is with a promotion.... so he didnt get looked at for any head coach positions... coaches from losing teams rarely do.
Heiden left for a different team in a role that was horizontal. The Cards can decide to let Vance move into a DC role if they like.