Cardinals GM: If Larry Fitzgerald is ready to play, ‘we’ll have a spot for him’

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If he wanted to come back on a league minimum deal, I'll take him back. But not at TE, I'd rather Tony Gonzalez come out of retirement first to play TE before asking Larry to do it.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He has to be targeted before he can produce. He can't catch passes that aren't thrown his way.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

***youtube.com/watch?v=Q4PoaDFh6LU
He has to be targeted before he can produce. He can't catch passes that aren't thrown his way.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

***youtube.com/watch?v=Q4PoaDFh6LU

Bro Nothing but love for ya. But at some point you guys just have to realize that players no matter how beloved decline and decline rapidly. Fitz is a shell of his former self. Hes lucky to have played as long as he has. Especially at WR. The guy turns 38 before the season even starts. Its time to start thinking with our heads and not our hearts. Fitz is done and should hang it up.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bro Nothing but love for ya. But at some point you guys just have to realize that players no matter how beloved decline and decline rapidly. Fitz is a shell of his former self. Hes lucky to have played as long as he has. Especially at WR. The guy turns 38 before the season even starts. Its time to start thinking with our heads and not our hearts. Fitz is done and should hang it up.

You are right but I still say Boo.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

We'll miss two things about him, even at his age. His leadership in the hurry up offense as the game is winding down and his pre-game entertainment for prime time game. Everything else is replaceable with our current roster.

Reaction score
Good article about Larry when he was drafted & what some of the scouts were saying.

Personnel director: Great routes, great concentration, great body control. He’ll bump (defender) and turn his body just before the ball gets there.

Receivers coach: Problem with bumps. No sense of urgency. I was disappointed in his tape. My #4 receiver.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Larry Fitzgerald says he’s undecided on playing this season

Free agent wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald has not determined whether he will be back for an 18th season.

In an interview today with Rachel Nichols on ESPN, Fitzgerald said he’s undecided on whether he’ll be back with the Cardinals, or any other team, or whether he’ll retire.

“I haven’t decided anything,” Fitzgerald said. “Training camp starts in a few weeks. I’m excited, it’s going to be another great year for the NFL.”

It’s unclear to what extend the Cardinals even want Fitzgerald back. Although they wouldn’t publicly say they don’t want one of the most beloved players in franchise history, Fitzgerald will turn 38 last month and is coming off a season in which he had career-lows in catches (54), yards (409), yards per catch (7.6) and touchdowns (one). The Cardinals signed veteran wide receiver A.J. Green and drafted Rondale Moore in the second round, and they may not think Fitzgerald has a role in their offense going forward.

Still, if Fitzgerald does decide he wants to play, he could likely find a job somewhere. A return home to Minnesota, where he grew up, would be an intriguing possibility. And Fitzgerald might just take his time and even decide after the season has started where he might want to go next.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd like the Cardinal brass to carve out a specific role for Larry centered on ways he can use his unique talents to make the team better than it would otherwise be.

Otherwise we might be setting him and the team up for a major wheel-spin and disappointment.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd like the Cardinal brass to carve out a specific role for Larry centered on ways he can use his unique talents to make the team better than it would otherwise be.

Otherwise we might be setting him and the team up for a major wheel-spin and disappointment.
At this point what unique skill does Fitz have? And running the ball back to the ref after a 3rd down conversion or with the clock running down isn’t a “skill”

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
At this point what unique skill does Fitz have? And running the ball back to the ref after a 3rd down conversion or with the clock running down isn’t a “skill”
That's for Larry and the Cards to work out. If they can't, then it should be "game over."

Note - I have no problem with Larry filling the role of Elder Statesman" from a WR6 vantage point.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
That's for Larry and the Cards to work out. If they can't, then it should be "game over."

Note - I have no problem with Larry filling the role of Elder Statesman" from a WR6 vantage point.

Can't happen. He wouldn't be able to play special teams, and at such a spot on the roster, that's a must.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure he's an alternate "flag boy." ;)

Minski

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Good blocker, big body and still great hands.

Set him up as a receiving TE who can occasionally block, but send him to find the weak spots in zone

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Good blocker, big body and still great hands.

Set him up as a receiving TE who can occasionally block, but send him to find the weak spots in zone
Fitz is only an OK blocker. He was pretty terrible blocking for bubble screens last year.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
The entire team was terrible at blocking bubble screens. That’s coaching.
Nope, only if maybe this was college ball since this is a sport they have been playing since they were kids. This is not rocket science for these guys from blocking or tackling. Now, if you are saying for a guy on the OL to develop his nuances more at his primary task where subtle aspects become important sure, but one would think blocking is something most guys should have a general idea to do well enough for mere screen... so if you want to blame the coach for not riding them enough to be more physical yeah, but one shouldn't need that for a fundamental aspect which secures them a dream job of being a pro

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
The entire team was terrible at blocking bubble screens. That’s coaching.
Disagree. Fitz was so slow getting to his guy and his man often ran right around them. If you think all of a sudden Kliff Kingsbury's coaching staff made Fitz suck at blocking...that's a pretty absurd statement.

One of the interesting things that was said on All or Nothing either by Arians or someone on his coaching staff is that NFL teams don't have time to work with players one on one. That's not to say they DON'T, it's just that they don't do too much.

The problem with bubble screens was three fold: teams were squating on the short zones because Murray couldn't beat them intermediate, teams didn't have to worry much about deep throws consistently, and individual player technique was bad.

Having a more spry Green and Rondale Moore should open up the bubble screen more.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
If after 18 years Fitz needs to be coached on how to block a screen somethings wrong
Like I said, he was much better at it earlier. Even during the 2019 season, Fitz was pretty damn good blocking for bubble screens. I'd also add that I don't think that Hopkins is slippery enough on bubble screens; I'd rather have Hopkins blocking for Kirk or Moore than to have Hopkins catch the pass and get tackled for a 3 yard gain.

The lengths people go to criticize Kingsbury and his staff is crazy.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
If almost every player on the team fails at the same task then coaching has to play a role. If Larry has lost a step and can’t get there to place solid block then the coaches needs to scheme for that. I think it’s a chicken/egg scenario here.