MCU: Captain Marvel

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Captain Meh-vel.

and not crazy about her possibly being the key figure to beat Thanos. Feels like the movie equivalent of Durant coming to the Warriors after they lost in 2016.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thinking about this a little more... wouldn't you think Fury would have paged her when Loki and his horde invaded and the Avengers looked like they couldn't get their crap together to stop a mass invasion?

And... since Fury wasn't even in Wakanda, how would he know that stuff had gone super-sideways to use the pager in that moment?

The more I think about it, the more lame this gets to me, Stout-style.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thinking about this a little more... wouldn't you think Fury would have paged her when Loki and his horde invaded and the Avengers looked like they couldn't get their crap together to stop a mass invasion?

And... since Fury wasn't even in Wakanda, how would he know that stuff had gone super-sideways to use the pager in that moment?

The more I think about it, the more lame this gets to me, Stout-style.

Marvel already responded by insisting that they may have paged her before. However, the implication is she was so far away that by the time she responded they were dealing with Thanos.

That’s plausible to me. What I am wondering more about is that she is so powerful won’t they have to dull down her powers if she is going to be around more?

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marvel already responded by insisting that they may have paged her before. However, the implication is she was so far away that by the time she responded they were dealing with Thanos.

eh... okay, I guess.

That’s plausible to me. What I am wondering more about is that she is son powerful won’t they have to dull down her powers if she is going to be around more?

good question. she basically became Superman by the end. Wonder if she'll have some kind of kryptonite that can dull her powers a little.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
eh... okay, I guess.

good question. she basically became Superman by the end. Wonder if she'll have some kind of kryptonite that can dull her powers a little.
Samuel l. Jackson has even responded to this. His reasoning is that the Avengers could deal with invading aliens, but can’t deal with people being erased from existence, so that’s why he called her now and not then.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Samuel l. Jackson has even responded to this. His reasoning is that the Avengers could deal with invading aliens, but can’t deal with people being erased from existence, so that’s why he called her now and not then.

Feige put out there they might have paged her after all. I think they are really leaving it up to fans to speculate.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

yeah... he hadn't even put the team together in the first Avengers... and then when he did, he watched them get turned against each other by Loki and had to use agent coulson's "death" as last resort to motivate them.

seems like the beeper might have come in handy right around then... just my opinion.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
You know I'm with you, Cheese. They should have just made a CM movie a while ago without the pressure of a giant tie-in, and brought the character into the main story line organically. These plot holes and overpowering problems are a headache of Marvel's own creation. Surprising, really, because Feige and co are usually good at avoiding these kinds of pitfalls.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought it was OK. My wife and daughter loved it.

Between Marvel, Star Wars and Game of Thrones the world is going to be owned by women shortly.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The demographic of this board really shows on the comments of this one billion dollar movie

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The demographic of this board really shows on the comments of this one billion dollar movie

BS. This is overly simplistic thinking. Go look at the Wonder Woman thread that had almost universal praise for the movie... and guess what... that made LESS money Captain Meh-vel. Does that mean this movie was vastly superior to Wonder Woman... because of money?

$ doesn't = great movie. Marvel machine = money... especially one that is teased at the end of the biggest cliffhanger in comic book history and is supposed to somehow be a bridge to the follow up.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Atomic Blonde >> Baby Driver

Uh... that definitely a no.

Now, if you want to argue Fury Road was better than any action movie in probably the last five years, I'd agree with you there and that movie definitely feature Furiosa a lot more than the title character.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Uh... that definitely a no.

Now, if you want to argue Fury Road was better than any action movie in probably the last five years, I'd agree with you there and that movie definitely feature Furiosa a lot more than the title character.

Fury Road is on a different level but I compared the other two because they came out at the same time and AB had a female lead. Sometimes you get a universally loved movie that doesn’t do it for you. Baby Driver was that for me.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fury Road is on a different level but I compared the other two because they came out at the same time and AB had a female lead. Sometimes you get a universally loved movie that doesn’t do it for you. Baby Driver was that for me.

fair enough. I REALLY wanted to love Atomic Blonde but it felt a little been there, done that story wise. The action was pretty damn good, but without a story i really cared about, it just didn't float my boat.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah, liked the characters, liked the dialogue, but it never came together for me. Atomic Blonde was pretty to look at but not much more than that for me.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
fair enough. I REALLY wanted to love Atomic Blonde but it felt a little been there, done that story wise. The action was pretty damn good, but without a story i really cared about, it just didn't float my boat.
I like AB for the simple reason that Charlize was a kick ass heroine who actually got beat up. I thought it hearkened back to John McClane in that you have a hero who isn’t invincible. And I thought some of the fights had a bit more realism than you normally see in an action movie.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I like AB for the simple reason that Charlize was a kick ass heroine who actually got beat up. I thought it hearkened back to John McClane in that you have a hero who isn’t invincible. And I thought some of the fights had a bit more realism than you normally see in an action movie.

Probably would’ve got more love if it weren’t pre-labeled the female Wick. She was more skilled and had the fighting-for-her-life feel. Wick was good but a little corny.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
BS. This is overly simplistic thinking. Go look at the Wonder Woman thread that had almost universal praise for the movie... and guess what... that made LESS money Captain Meh-vel. Does that mean this movie was vastly superior to Wonder Woman... because of money?

$ doesn't = great movie. Marvel machine = money... especially one that is teased at the end of the biggest cliffhanger in comic book history and is supposed to somehow be a bridge to the follow up.

Bingo! WW was one of my favorite comic book movies of late and I really don't like DC Comic movies for the most part. Captain Marvel was just OK for me. IMO it was just a middling Marvel movie.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just seen this thought it was amazing honestly I can’t believe people think this is on the average side of the Marvel movies.

Highly entertaining

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Just seen this thought it was amazing honestly I can’t believe people think this is on the average side of the Marvel movies.

Highly entertaining

Sorry, the whole beginning was just uneven and boring, the "twist" was eye-rollingly obvious, the end was beyond deus-ex-machina, and nothing really popped for me. That's why I put it average. I blame the writers.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson