10 thoughts - draft - first round

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
1 – How will Ossenfort approach the draft? Will he be like John Schneiders’ “we are smarter than everyone else,” or will he be Belichick’s “I don’t give a f*** about players’ value at different spots,” or Keim’s (post-Nkemdiche) “if you are not a team captain, you are off our board”?

2 – If they are locked into Will Anderson, they should take whatever Indy offer them to sell (assuming they offer anything). Even a sixth-round pick or whatever. Just get some sort of value for doing what you would have done anyway.

FYI: I am aware that the Colts will probably offer more than a sixth. Just to underline my point.

3 – The lack of great WR prospects, does that make Nuk Hopkins’ prize go up – and conversely, does it make the Cards more willing to hold onto him?

4 – NFL teams always value extreme athletic marvels highly, and there is no bigger marvel than edge rusher Nolan Smith. He’s probably not in play at #3, but when do Gannon pounce on a new Haason Reddick-type?

5 – If you are not sure which prospect you want the most (maybe at #3, maybe at another spot), you will find out for sure in the two-three seconds between Goodell saying “with the X pick the Arizona Cardinals select…” and reading out the name. Those seconds reveal everything.

6 – Longtime general manager Mike Tannenbaum recently said that his sleeper pick at #3 is cornerback Christian Gonzalez. Is it that crazy? I don’t think so.

7 – Jalen Carter. Jalen, Jalen, Jalen Carter. What to do with you?

8 – If they do end up selling #3, would you prefer that part of the prize was a future #1 or an impact player now?

9 – It would not surprise me if edge rusher Tyree Wilson were the pick at #3. Arguably has bigger potential than Will Anderson and is probably also a more natural fit.

10 – Some days ago, draft analyst Tony Pauline reported that multiple teams have inquired about #3 to go up and get an offensive tackle. Huh? That would be a stunner.

P.S. Yesterday another analyst, Peter King, predicted that the Cards would take OT Paris Johnson at #3.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3. I think with Rodgers going the Jets the Bills will give us their 2nd round pick #59 and I’ll be happy.
4. I think we trade down to the Titans or Eagles. I think the Eagles are clamoring for Robinson. We take Nolan Smith.
10. I would be extremely disappointed if we take an ot with the 3rd pick.

I want to see us come out of the first 5 rounds with an edge, g, c, rb and Wr. The rest of the draft all defense.

Not much mentioned about RB Chase Brown. Might be there in the 4th round.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
3. I think with Rodgers going the Jets the Bills will give us their 2nd round pick #59 and I’ll be happy.
4. I think we trade down to the Titans or Eagles. I think the Eagles are clamoring for Robinson. We take Nolan Smith.

I want to see us come out of the first 5 rounds with an edge, g, c, rb and Wr. The rest of the draft all defense.

Really need a CB with Murphy's departure.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
1 – How will Ossenfort approach the draft? Will he be like John Schneiders’ “we are smarter than everyone else,” or will he be Belichick’s “I don’t give a f*** about players’ value at different spots,” or Keim’s (post-Nkemdiche) “if you are not a team captain, you are off our board”?

2 – If they are locked into Will Anderson, they should take whatever Indy offer them to sell (assuming they offer anything). Even a sixth-round pick or whatever. Just get some sort of value for doing what you would have done anyway.

FYI: I am aware that the Colts will probably offer more than a sixth. Just to underline my point.

3 – The lack of great WR prospects, does that make Nuk Hopkins’ prize go up – and conversely, does it make the Cards more willing to hold onto him?

4 – NFL teams always value extreme athletic marvels highly, and there is no bigger marvel than edge rusher Nolan Smith. He’s probably not in play at #3, but when do Gannon pounce on a new Haason Reddick-type?

5 – If you are not sure which prospect you want the most (maybe at #3, maybe at another spot), you will find out for sure in the two-three seconds between Goodell saying “with the X pick the Arizona Cardinals select…” and reading out the name. Those seconds reveal everything.

6 – Longtime general manager Mike Tannenbaum recently said that his sleeper pick at #3 is cornerback Christian Gonzalez. Is it that crazy? I don’t think so.

8 – If they do end up selling #3, would you prefer that part of the prize was a future #1 or an impact player now?

9 – It would not surprise me if edge rusher Tyree Wilson were the pick at #3. Arguably has bigger potential than Will Anderson and is probably also a more natural fit.

10 – Some days ago, draft analyst Tony Pauline reported that multiple teams have inquired about #3 to go up and get an offensive tackle. Huh? That would be a stunner.

P.S. Yesterday another analyst, Peter King, predicted that the Cards would take OT Paris Johnson at #3.
1 Has a long term plan, probably focused on defense.
2 Makes sense
3 Yes,IMO
4 Don’t see the comp
5 ?
6 Yes
7 Hardest call in the draft. If he’s real, he’s the best non-QB. Don’t like the risk
8 Depends on who the player is
9 Possible he goes third, but Cards trade down
10 That’s what I posted
P.S. Even crazier than Tannenbaum!

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Really nicely laid out. Thanks for good reading.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
You know, Slanidrac, it is just a gut feeling, so don’t put much into it, but I also feel that they will end up with Nolan Smith

I don’t know about him. Could you share a little?

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Personally I don't see the need to get rid of DHop. We're not going to find a better replacement. I'd prefer to extend him for 3 years. I know it's been said that he wants a trade. I don't think he'd sit out.

I have thought about that too, CCF. Just let him be part of the solution. Same with Budda Baker. Give him a new contract.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know, Slanidrac, it is just a gut feeling, so don’t put much into it, but I also feel that they will end up with Nolan Smith

He played at Illinois so he played against quality teams. He’s is 5’10 and 210 lbs. He is fast (4.43)and a good receiver. He can run out of a traditional formation or shotgun. Not a very strong blocker. He is not a bell cow rb but a threat to break a big play.
I think he would be a great compliment to Conner. Might be available in the 4th round.
2600 yards over the last 2 years on a poor team.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

P.S. YUCK

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Man I’d be bummed if we ended up with an undersized passrusher who also didn’t produce great numbers.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

I forgot to answer this, Slanidrac. Yes, I would too, but I would feel better about it if they have moved out of the top 10. The rumors seems to be going toward them taking an offensive tackle. Several analysts, that I trust, have mocked Paris Johnson to the Cards at three, and other have given them an OT after trading down. Even Peter Schrager, who have projected correctly three years in a row (not counting last years trade for a current NFL player), predicted that they would go with offensive tackle Broderick Jones. I have changed my expectations today, and now I think they will end up with an OT.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

I’ll say again, if we stay at #3 and pick anyone other than Will Anderson (or a QB, which I doubt), then this front office is more incompetent than the last regime.
If they truly believe they want to go in a different direction (i.e. OL, CB or a different edge), they better be moving down in some manner

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
I don't much care for NFL mock drafts - they remind me of March Madness brackets - nobody's ever gonna nail it

But, if we do pass on Will Anderson, and end up trading back, I would like to see us somehow land both Schmitz and Skoronski. Defense and O-line is all we can really work on this year. RBs and Wide Receivers are for teams that have healthy starting quarterbacks and the aforementioned O-line

Defense (specifically pass rush) and O-line is all I want to see tonight so we probably won't draft either lol

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't much care for NFL mock drafts - they remind me of March Madness brackets - nobody's ever gonna nail it

But, if we do pass on Will Anderson, and end up trading back, I would like to see us somehow land both Schmitz and Skoronski. Defense and O-line is all we can really work on this year. RBs and Wide Receivers are for teams that have healthy starting quarterbacks and the aforementioned O-line

Defense (specifically pass rush) and O-line is all I want to see tonight so we probably won't draft either lol
That would finally beef up our o-line. Then somehow find a way to get rb Gibbs and a big Wr and WALLA, the offense is now a strength…assuming these players live up to their reputation.
The rest of the draft go defense and sign a couple of free agents.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Gandhi good job as usual.

Here’s my all wish & favorites in each round that are realistic:

Trade to Titans for #3. Receive #11, 41& a 2024 #2

Trade Dhop to Buffalo for a 3rd & next years 4th

2023 draft

11) Calijah Kancey, DT-best interior pass rusher in this draft imo. Could dominate with other players around him

34) O’cyrus Torrence,OG-dominating interior player. Could be there if not get OG Steve Avila

41) Keanu Benton, DT-great player against run & pass. If they stack him & Kancey together our Dline is dominant along with last years 2 kids

66) Darius Rush, CB-very good CB in much needed position

91) AT Perry, WR-big playmaker on outside who has great hands & makes athletic tough catches. Not a burner but gets open on press

96) Garret Williams, CB-really good CB who most likely won’t be available until’24 because of ACL

105) Yasir Abdullah. OLB-physically built fast speedy LB who gets to the QB often & yet has really good coverage skills.

168) Braeden Daniels, OT-quality Oline who excels in both run game & pass pro

180) Keaton Mitchell, RB-smaller RB who is a dynamic game breaker in running & passing game. If your even, he’s leavin lol

213) Ricky Stromberg,C-powerful run blocker
Go Big Red

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose