Can we talk Kenyan Drake again?

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Four games in, is anyone still impressed with this guy? I know he got hurt yesterday, but that stat line for the season is icky. He's not going to miss any time, but Edmonds looks like the far superior back out there.

I'm sure he'll have a good game here or there, I just don't trust him on a week-to-week basis, and would nominate Edmonds takes over the starting role, or at least dominates the carries.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Rather have Edmonds at least split the carries. Faster and quicker

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Four games in, is anyone still impressed with this guy? I know he got hurt yesterday, but that stat line for the season is icky. He's not going to miss any time, but Edmonds looks like the far superior back out there.

I'm sure he'll have a good game here or there, I just don't trust him on a week-to-week basis, and would nominate Edmonds takes over the starting role, or at least dominates the carries.

Blocking scheme sucks...and with zero vertical threat, he's having a hard time finding open lanes and cutbacks.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yea expecting more i have him as my 2nd back on my money lg luckily my other is cook and Henderson from rams

Hope he starts to play well again but if not least don't have a pay ton money to keep him

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Uncork and hit a bomb or 2 every game and see what happens to the running game. Heck, even just hit more 15-20 yard outs and crosses and things will ease up at the LOS.
We tried. Either we missed it or Isabella tripped over his feet.

However, again...that is not the main issue. Until we actually get under center more we wont ease up the LOS.

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
Kenyan's a decent receiver, why not split him out or run him out of the backfield as a check-down and see what he can do?

Reaction score
We tried. Either we missed it or Isabella tripped over his feet.

However, again...that is not the main issue. Until we actually get under center more we wont ease up the LOS.

It looked to me like Isabella slowed up a little expecting it to be under thrown a tad only to see it was perfect if he had kept running in stride.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
O-line makes RB and not vice versa.

Adrian Peterson couldn't run behind our line back then and many thought he was done ... and AD is still one of the better RB on an other team ...

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
We traded practically nothing to get him and he produced over the last half of the season.

We wanted to see more before we committed long term so we gave him the transition tag.

Now he is meh due to several factors but still filling a role.

If he plays better great.

If he doesn't, we will work Edmonds in more and can let Drake walk at the end of the year.

Not sure what more needs to be talked about.

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
We traded practically nothing to get him and he produced over the last half of the season.

We wanted to see more before we committed long term so we gave him the transition tag.

If he doesn't, we will work Edmonds in more and can let Drake walk at the end of the year.

For me, I think it was more about getting the general pulse from people. Are they still excited? Seeing something I'm not? Think the solution to his problems are right in front of our eyes?

People were talking about him as a surefire every down back that would at minimum break 1,000 yards and add a wealth of receiving to that number. Do people still have faith in that?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For me, I think it was more about getting the general pulse from people. Are they still excited? Seeing something I'm not? Think the solution to his problems are right in front of our eyes?

People were talking about him as a surefire every down back that would at minimum break 1,000 yards and add a wealth of receiving to that number. Do people still have faith in that?

I think we miss Maxx and we are not blocking as well but I also think Drake isn't the same guy so far. he's not as fast..

Pre draft the 2 RB's I talked about most were CEH and Kelly from UCLA. CEH is killing it in KC, and Kelly is doing pretty well in a backup role and is now the starter due to injury. He's been over 5 YPC in 2 games, the Chiefs bottled him up. He's been basically as good as Drake, as a 4th round pick and a backup.

Hopefully Drake is about to break out, right now I don't see it but I'm hoping it's there he's too young to have lost it this quickly?

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Looking like he lost a step and is more hesitant.

Neither one is good.

Hopefully he can finish strong.

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
My observation is they haven’t really committed to getting him going early in games. It seems the majority of his snaps have been at the end of games (at least in the wins to wear down the opponent).

My gut says it’s more play calling and the fact that opposing defenses are daring Kyler to throw intermediate passes and making sure he doesn’t have many opportunities to take off and run, thus allowing them to defend against screens and the running game very well.

I haven’t lost confidence in Drake’s ability to be a starting RB...yet.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My observation is they haven’t really committed to getting him going early in games. It seems the majority of his snaps have been at the end of games (at least in the wins to wear down the opponent).

My gut says it’s more play calling and the fact that opposing defenses are daring Kyler to throw intermediate passes and making sure he doesn’t have many opportunities to take off and run, thus allowing them to defend against screens and the running game very well.

I haven’t lost confidence in Drake’s ability to be a starting RB...yet.

Probably all true I just think it's been clear on several runs this year he's not as quick or fast as he was last year. I know they said he put on some muscle I'm thinking it may have slowed him down or he's not 100%. Remember he was in a walking boot 3 weeks before the season started. he's one of my fantasy RB's so I pay attention to that.
There are some reports online that he's in danger of losing work to Edmonds.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm firmly in the RB doesn't matter a great deal camp. THey obviously have to have some talent and fit the scheme but the O line and run scheme create the yards.

Look at Mike Davis since CMC went out. Leads the league in a bunch of RB categories.

If you have a good run scheme and a good O line then I'm happy with the Telvin Colemans and Chase Edmonds of the world. I'd never pay a top level RB. Unless they are also an 800+ receiver too.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Drake keeps trying to get the edge, but hes not fast enough to do so. He needs to be hitting cutbacks. A lot of the time it will end up with the same result and continuing to the edge...as short gain or short loss....but if somone over pursues or he is able to break an arm tackle it could lead to a big gain.

That being said, Edmonds is better, and Eno should be just fine. If I'm the Cards I keep a constant rotation on 5th-7th round RB's coming in through the draft and if one of them hits you have gold.

We have Edmonds next year for 1 million, Eno as the backup for even less, and then a late round rookie as the 3rd back....rinse and repeat.

Reactions: PJ1

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

My fear is that he has fallen victim to "David Johnson Disease."

Reactions: PJ1

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson