By not dealing Nash, he and Suns suffering now

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The writer is not saying anything new. When Amare left, the Suns were no longer a team that was going anywhere even if they made the playoffs. The only conclusion I can draw is Sarver wants to keep Nash with the Suns and Nash feels likewise.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yea everything in that article is pretty obvious and its what we have been talking about since Amare left.

But the national media is only now starting to realize it.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
The worst part of what we're doing with Nash is that we haven't even brought in anyone for him to mentor to eventually replace him. It's crazy...

I didn't expect anything better though, we have a banker and a lawyer running our basketball team. Nuff said.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yeah this is true.....but the majority of the fanbase doesnt care. They use words like "honorability" and "likeability" and "due respect" and "we owe him."

When we should be using words like "move the **** on already" so this team can go in a new direction that at least brings the possibility of a brighter future.

I understand the reality that if Nash is gone nobody will come to the games...i get that,but what good is holding on to the past doing for us now? Nothing.

Is it going to pay off down the road? No.

Its lunacy.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's my biggest problem with the Suns. What is the objective of this team? If it's to contend...they won't. If it's to get young and rebuild, they have not made enough moves. If they are going to retool, they have not made enough moves.

What is this team doing exactly?

Neo

Red Tape Sorter
Reaction score
That's my biggest problem with the Suns. What is the objective of this team? If it's to contend...they won't. If it's to get young and rebuild, they have not made enough moves. If they are going to retool, they have not made enough moves.

What is this team doing exactly?

Maybe I've grown to cynical, but my guess is that the Suns objective is to make a profit, not get a championship. If they can do just enough to put fans in seats and sell some jerseys without spending too much that probably suits Sarver just fine.

Look at the Clippers, they are one of 3 teams with no debt and they are one of the most consistently profitable teams. Sarver wants to be Donald Sterling, minus the racism and housing discrimination.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe I've grown to cynical, but my guess is that the Suns objective is to make a profit, not get a championship. If they can do just enough to put fans in seats and sell some jerseys without spending too much that probably suits Sarver just fine.

Look at the Clippers, they are one of 3 teams with no debt and they are one of the most consistently profitable teams. Sarver wants to be Donald Sterling, minus the racism and housing discrimination.

I really don't think so. I don't think Sarver's problem is greed, it's ego. I think he really believes that he can bring the NBA world to it's knees with his business acumen. I think he came in believing he could win championships and still be fiscally responsible. I think he's learned a little along the way (and hopefully regrets some of the things he's brought about) but I don't think his ego will ever allow him to do what Sterling has done throughout his ownership. Again, I point to the fact that he HAS spent money, he just hasn't done it wisely.

Steve

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
It's unrealistic to think that the Suns can compete for a title within the next ten years, barring a miracle in the draft lottery. There are 30 franchises that all have their eyes on the prize, and it's fairly obvious that the Suns' fundamentals, in terms of talent and other resources, are well below average at this point. Sarver's opportunity to win a title as Suns owner has come and gone. If he fails from this point forward, that in itself is not a knock against him.

The Suns came into the league in 1967. Since then, they have made 9 appearances in the Western Conference Finals. The only two franchises with more WCF appearances during that span are the Lakers and Spurs. The Suns haven't won a title, but they have been remarkably successful by any other measure. We'll find ourselves wishing for the "good old days" soon enough.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

we're 25th in attendance and will likely miss the playoffs. that won't = profit. the fact that they thought people would just continue to go see this shwag ass team simply because Nash was on it and they'd shoot a lot of threes was the height of stupidity... or as I like to say... par for the course for Sarver.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My big fear is that Sarver will use this all as an excuse to move the team to some place like San Diego.

Neo

Red Tape Sorter
Reaction score
It's unrealistic to think that the Suns can compete for a title within the next ten years, barring a miracle in the draft lottery.

Wow! I thought that I was down on the team's chances. I think that ANY team could realistically be competing in less than a decade. Ten years from now, kids we don't know exist are going to be stars in the league and most of the current All-stars will be retired or on a downward slide. I am pretty sure that the average NBA career is less than 5 years.

Is our current roster really any worse than the teams that immediately proceeded the trade for KJ? If so, not by much and we were able to contend within 5 years without any draft miracles. Danny Ainge was regarded by some as an incompetent GM who had ruined Celtics the year before they won a championship.

It does not take long or much to turn around a basketball team. Unlike football or baseball, you really don't need that many pieces to be a contender.

Sarver may be a moron, but Phoenix has other things going for it that make it a good draw for decent Free Agent talent.

Not all hope is lost.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My big fear is that Sarver will use this all as an excuse to move the team to some place like San Diego.

I just can't see that happening. Seriously, I think we have a better chance of winning the championship the next several years in a row than we do of having our team relocated to San Diego. I also think it's very unlikely that the team will be moved anywhere at all but the San Diego destination approaches the realm of the impossible, IMO.

Steve

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Wow! I thought that I was down on the team's chances. I think that ANY team could realistically be competing in less than a decade. Ten years from now, kids we don't know exist are going to be stars in the league and most of the current All-stars will be retired or on a downward slide. I am pretty sure that the average NBA career is less than 5 years.

Is our current roster really any worse than the teams that immediately proceeded the trade for KJ? If so, not by much and we were able to contend within 5 years without any draft miracles. Danny Ainge was regarded by some as an incompetent GM who had ruined Celtics the year before they won a championship.

It does not take long or much to turn around a basketball team. Unlike football or baseball, you really don't need that many pieces to be a contender.

Sarver may be a moron, but Phoenix has other things going for it that make it a good draw for decent Free Agent talent.

Not all hope is lost.
I agree for the most part. Some MAJOR changes from the top down must occur 1st and foremost though....so what i'm saying is that if Sarver remains the owner for the next 10 years then yeah,this team will not be seriously competing for a title within that time. :lol:

#1 Sarver must go
#2 New owner must come in who recognizes how the offensive showpony basketball culture here must change.
#3 Fans must embrace the change

Honestly i'm not sure if #3 will ever be possible here in Phoenix unfortunately.
Right now i'd settle for a new owner and go from there. :D

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Is our current roster really any worse than the teams that immediately proceeded the trade for KJ? If so, not by much and we were able to contend within 5 years without any draft miracles.

Yes, the pre-KJ team was better from a rebuilding standpoint, because it had Larry Nance, whose trade value was much higher than anything on the 2012 Suns' roster. I don't know how the Suns succeeded in outbidding other teams for Chambers, but I doubt anyone thinks that they'll strike gold in the FA market like that any time soon. And I'd say that drafting a player of Hornacek's caliber in the second round is pretty close to a miracle.

Danny Ainge was regarded by some as an incompetent GM who had ruined Celtics the year before they won a championship.

That's not my point. The Celtics had a lot of assets before the Garnett and Allen trades.

Unlike football or baseball, you really don't need that many pieces to be a contender.

But the only way they'll get such a piece is through the draft, which is what I was saying.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes, the pre-KJ team was better from a rebuilding standpoint, because it had Larry Nance, whose trade value was much higher than anything on the 2012 Suns' roster. I don't know how the Suns succeeded in outbidding other teams for Chambers, but I doubt anyone thinks that they'll strike gold in the FA market like that any time soon. And I'd say that drafting a player of Hornacek's caliber in the second round is pretty close to a miracle.

That's not my point. The Celtics had a lot of assets before the Garnett and Allen trades.

But the only way they'll get such a piece is through the draft, which is what I was saying.

We do have free agency now, which can allow for a team to turn around rather quickly.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I think there is a good chance that we will offer Westbrook the max and he will take it, OKC wont match it because paying him the max is questionable and they would probably rather keep Harden and Ibaka than overpaying Westbrook.

We then draft Gilchrist at #5. Amnesty Childress in 2012 or 2013 depending on how much interest they have in the 2012 FA class. Extend Lopez to affordable deal or resign him or match offers. Sign a couple roster fillers and don't overspend to have some more flexibility in 2013.

C -Gortat/Lopez
PF-Morris/Frye
SF-Dudley/Warrick
SG-Gilchrist/Childress
PG-Westbrook/Price

That is likely not enough to get in the playoff picture so in 2013 we would have another lottery pick and some capspace to continue building the team. Warrick expires and maybe we can turn Frye into an expiring contract before.

Last edited:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I think there is a good chance that we will offer Westbrook the max and he will take it, OKC wont match it because paying him the max is questionable

If I were the Thunder, I'd max out Westbrook without a second thought. He's easily a top-25 player and is only 23 years old.

and they would probably rather keep Harden and Ibaka than overpaying Westbrook.

Wishful thinking.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I don't know how the Suns succeeded in outbidding other teams for Chambers, but I doubt anyone thinks that they'll strike gold in the FA market like that any time soon.

We do have free agency now, which can allow for a team to turn around rather quickly.

I guess I have to stand corrected. Apparently there are those who think that the Suns can strike Chambers-like gold in free agency in the near future.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
The Thunder are already paying Durant the super max. If they max out Westbrook their hands will be tied soon with no flexibility other than trading one of their stars. I think it is very possible they won't match the max for Westbrook.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't see why we couldn't swing for the fences and go for Deron AND Dwight if they are not committed at the trade deadline. They could be lured here if

1. Kieff continues to develop
2. Nash and Hill sign for the minimum in order to get them here.
3. We have a very high draft pick (draft a scoring 3)
4. We then could trade Gortat for a starting 2

You also still have Frye, Dudley, Warrick, and maybe Brooks coming off the bench.

All it takes is a plan that will work if implemented and then the courage to sell it.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gambo called, his crack pipe is missing. :p

If the Nets have a shot at those two, I don't know why we shouldn't try.

Childress will be amnestied and we will trade away Warrick and we'll have $35 million under the cap to work with, more if we trade Lopez.

If Colangelo were running the show, that's what he would be doing.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
3. We have a very high draft pick (draft a scoring 3)

SF is the weakest position in the draft with PG. You got Harrison Barnes and Terrence Jones. I'd consider Gilchrist more of a SG, if he can't be a SG he'll end up being the next Iguodala..